You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: What a GNR set list/discography without Izzy Stradlin looks like

James wrote:

Obviously GNR will perform GNR songs but here's an alternate scenario where we imagine for a second GNR doing a concert only containing songs Izzy was not involved in creating. Cover songs and Chinese Democracy are excluded of course. Also imagining the GNR discography with his absence.

Here's the songs available for a set list or album(s)...

Welcome to the Jungle
It's So Easy
Rocket Queen

One In A Million

Back Off Bitch
November Rain
The Garden
Garden of Eden
Don't Damn Me
Dead Horse
Coma

Civil War
Yesterdays
Get in the Ring
Shotgun Blues
Breakdown
Locomotive
So Fine
Estranged
My World

-----

When looking at it from this perspective you truly notice his monumental impact on the band's discography. AFD cant even really exist without him or if so, does not have the global impact it had and if he bailed in 1988, Lies simply does not exist.  We can see how his interest/influence in GNR is changing during the making of UYI.  UYI still is a solid album without him but lacks that special ingredient only he brings to the table.

I cant imagine any of those albums without his presence. Lets say he jumps ship in 1990 instead of late 1991 post UYI release. Which song is the first single to blow up radio in the lead up to its release?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

And that doesn't even include the uncredited input...for instance, to me the rhythm of oiam makes the song...and that is izzy 100% (at least I've always envisioned that it was) if I could find that slightly overdrive (tele? ES335? Filtertron? P90?) guitar tone in my amp I'd never dial it out again...Cuz it's fucking brilliant

In general I think Izzy had this magical "sleazy" sound and very loose style of playing  that quietly helped defined the quintessential guns sound

Slash slung an LP and cranked a marshall and went with it ... izzy, I think experimented a bit more

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Does this assume that if Izzy was a co-writer of a song then the song wouldn't exist?

I think that's a bit of an assumption - perhaps many of the songs would exist in some of other form - such as with a different bridge or something.

Obviously some that were entirely izzy's creation wouldn't, but just because he was credited with writing part of a song doesn't mean the entire song wouldn't always exist.

James

James wrote:

Might be an assumption but I am strictly sticking to songs he is credited with either writing or co-writing. Kinda hard for a song to exist if one of its writers does not.

Have you read The Talisman? Does it exist if Peter Straub doesn't have his input? Maybe but its an entirely different book. Maybe its better, maybe its worse but its certainly not the book in existence.

And that doesn't even include the uncredited input

Absolutely. Then take into account his great backing vocals.

For the record I am not trying to diminish Axl, Slash, or Duff's abilities here. They had perfect chemistry. I'm just showing how it looks when you take one key ingredient out of the recipe.

They were all contributors to the material but Stradlin/Rose is an incredible duo in the songwriting department.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

let's make a list of all the songs with out Slash's lead playing next!  Even on songs he didn't "write" he typically elevated with amazing leads that HE WROTE but didn't count as writing a song.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I hope my post doesn't get misunderstood as down playing Slash ... Slash is my all time favorite guitarist...made me want to learn to play guitar...SCOM is my favorite all time song

I've owned several marshall amplifiers in my life (wanted to like them but never could get along with them) and I own a gibson les paul...its my go to guitar...and it needs to be a burst

But as I get older (and hopefully wiser) I understand Izzy's importance to the guns sound

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

We all get it but at the same time he was just one spoke in the wheel. With no Axl or Slash you have his solo career which is good music but the only reason you know it is because he was famous already with the help of Axl, Slash, Duff, and Steven.

James

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

let's make a list of all the songs with out Slash's lead playing next!  Even on songs he didn't "write" he typically elevated with amazing leads that HE WROTE but didn't count as writing a song.

Let's also do a list of all the songs without Axl's vocals since he elevated them. 16

Obviously this thread is being taken the wrong way. Its not an insult to every GNR member to acknowledge Izzy's contributions to the creation of those albums.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

The only reason I'm guessing James made this post is to highlight Izzys importance to Guns. Were Slash not involved in this reunion (and Izzy were) he'd probably be making the list which Smoking Guns suggested 16 If Izzy does get onboard for the reunion we can all expect an explosion in threads about Adlers importance to the Guns sound, which he very much is! 22

nugdafied wrote:

It's amazing when I watch these Izzy tweets...I always pick up 'Patience' notes.

Board footer