You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

James wrote:

I missed a few pages(maybe more) went back and Buzzsaw nails it here....

I think you guys are still missing the point completely. I haven't seen anyone say trump is the ideal candidate. He's necessary to get us where we need to be.

THis is how I feel about this election. Trump is our only hope at leading this country in the direction it needs to go. Is he our savior? No. The current system isn't working and both sides wish to continue it. The American people are fed up.

Trump enters at the right time.

I still wish it had been Jesse Ventura in this position instead of Trump.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

Why are people afraid of Trump? There are plenty of reasons. He has shown disregard for the first amendment when he has said he will open libel laws so he could sue people who write negative articles.  He also advocates for violence against protestors and also wants them to be thrown into jail. He has no tolerance for those who disagree with him or criticize him. That is the type of behavior you see from paranoid dictators. What is it going to be like as the election season becomes even more heated or if he did win the presidency?

He is also a bully. If he isn't advocating for violence he is name calling those that disagree with him.  He makes sexist remarks about women he dislikes. He mocked a disabled reporter. Is this the man anyone can seriously see meeting with other heads of state?

He advocates for war crimes by wanting to kill innocent civilians (terrorist's family members) and seems to favor cruel and unusual punishment.

He has no substance. He doesn't stand for anything except being anti-Mexican, anti-Muslim, and anti-trade. He has taken just about every side of every issue and has a problem with telling the truth.

He's a billionaire that has a tax plan that benefits the wealthy more than anyone else. He has his clothing line made overseas and brings immigrants over to take over the jobs of Americans. Yet he somehow has conned people into thinking he is for the average American. Or that he is really going to shake up the establishment when his actions and tax plan show otherwise! We are supposed to believe this liar who can't make up his mind because...?

Saying he is attractive is because the establishment is afraid of him is like saying a musician must be brilliant because your parents hate them. When sometimes they just really suck.

What exactly does he bring to the table besides "businessman?"

Other than the billionaire mention, that almost sounded like a description of Nixon.

He mocked a disabled reporter.

That was definitely the low point of the campaign. The fact that he even survived that shows how he is pretty much unstoppable....and that happened months ago. He's gained a lot of momentum since.

As far as killing innocent civilians goes, there isn't one single president immune from doing that. Whether its carpet bombing or drone strikes...innocent people are going to get killed.

As far as his name calling goes, I have no problem with him getting in the faces of these politicians and letting them know their time is almost up. He's simply letting the American people get a peak behind the curtain.....and I don't consider that a bad thing. I loved that debate when he looked into the camera and told the American people there that all those people in the audience there were paid shills for the other politicians onstage.....and none of them could deny it.

It's those types of things he does that are causing him to get more support as this election drags on. Name one other presidential candidate in our country's history that has stood on stage and not played the game but tells people what a scam the whole thing is.

If there's one major issue out of all of them where we need to see more of what Trump is really about, it's going to be his foreign policy. Now that debate will be interesting.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I missed a few pages(maybe more) went back and Buzzsaw nails it here....

I think you guys are still missing the point completely. I haven't seen anyone say trump is the ideal candidate. He's necessary to get us where we need to be.

THis is how I feel about this election. Trump is our only hope at leading this country in the direction it needs to go. Is he our savior? No. The current system isn't working and both sides wish to continue it. The American people are fed up.

Trump enters at the right time.

I still wish it had been Jesse Ventura in this position instead of Trump.

He doesn't even have to win. He's started a movement now that someone more likeable can take and run with. In fact we're probably better off if he doesn't win. Another 4 years of this crap and the right person taking the reins will win 2020 going away.

The movement doesn't happen without someone like trump getting people talking. That is why he matters whether he wins or not.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

He doesn't even have to win. He's started a movement now that someone more likeable can take and run with. In fact we're probably better off if he doesn't win. Another 4 years of this crap and the right person taking the reins will win 2020 going away.

The movement doesn't happen without someone like trump getting people talking. That is why he matters whether he wins or not.

I was actually thinking along these lines.  Does anyone think that, no matter what, the elected President will only be a 1 term President anyway??  While Hillary seems to have the best shot of being a 2 term Prez, if her tenure is rocky I could see her no giving the best campaign to get re-elected.  I think she "wants" to be President, and once she becomes it,a lot of her work is done.

On the other hand I'm a bit freaked out to see how bad the 2020 Election cycle will be.  I will say this tho, the debates have been excessive, shitty, and going after ratings, and the cable news channels have been partisan & biased.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Too many debates. They ask the same questions and try to start too much drama. Fox business have the best debates while main fox and CNBC gave the worst. Megyn Kelly and Chris Wallce annoy the fuck out of me

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Too many debates. They ask the same questions and try to start too much drama. Fox business have the best debates while main fox and CNBC gave the worst. Megyn Kelly and Chris Wallce annoy the fuck out of me

Believe it or not I actually like Chris Wallace on his Sunday morning show on Fox Broadcast (Channel 29 here). I feel while he stays right he does try to be fair & impartial. He did seem loaded tho & ready for Trump with a bunch of gotcha questions & the prepared charts disproving Trump was absurd. Totally unfair and NOT a level playing field for him.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

On the other side, Bernie has at least woken up some people to how the system is rigged against anyone who's not pulling in 6 figures.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Chris Wallace can be good but during the debates he seemed to have an agenda, unlike the folks on fox business and Anderson Cooper.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Chris Wallace can be good but during the debates he seemed to have an agenda,

I agree. Especially in the one 2 weeks ago. I felt the media shouldn't play that role. Let the public decide. Unless you try to corner each candidate, which he didn't.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

(CNN)Prominent conservatives led by Erick Erickson on Thursday called for a unity ticket and a convention fight to stop Republican front-runner Donald Trump.

"If that unity ticket is unable to get 1,237 delegates prior to the convention, we recognize that it took Abraham Lincoln three ballots at the Republican convention in 1860 to become the party's nominee and if it is good enough for Lincoln, that process should be good enough for all the candidates without threats of riots," Erickson wrote in a statement after conservatives gathered in Washington to discuss ways to thwart Trump's march to the nomination.

The billionaire businessman dominated primary contests on Tuesday, but his loss in Ohio raised the prospect that he won't secure the delegates needed to win the GOP nomination. His campaign has come under heated criticism from many Republicans over the past week after violence erupted at some of his events and some in the party are searching for last-minute ways to avoid him becoming their standard-bearer.

"We are committed to ensuring a real conservative candidate is elected," Erickson said in the statement. "We believe that neither Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump, a Hillary Clinton donor, is that person."

The statement also called for a unity ticket.

Conservatives at the meeting had "absolute consensus" on trying to stop Trump from getting enough delegates to clinch the party's presidential nomination, according to a source familiar with the discussion.

Conservative leader Bob Fischer gathered more than a dozen activists and Republican lawmakers to discuss how to stop Trump from getting their party's nomination.

The source said the consensus was around preventing Trump from reaching 1,237 delegates, and then stopping him at the convention. The source added that the conservatives are optimistic for this option, adding they believe "it is possible."

The idea of a third party being formed to combat Trump remained a bone of contention for the group, the source said, adding, there was "real division" over the idea. But there was also discussion that if Trump is the GOP nominee, then "the GOP ceases to be a party for traditional conservatives, who must go elsewhere." The thought process at this session was to work with "an existing third party instead of trying for ballot access." That would probably be the existing Libertarian or Constitution parties.

This source said the meeting was made up mostly of "diehards of the conservative movement," including, "Reagan revolutionaries, if you will."

Not all the attendees appeared to be giving up on Trump's existing challengers.

"I'm there to support Ted Cruz," said Mike Farris, a Republican lawyer, as he left the Army and Navy Club, where the group met behind closed doors for close to three hours. "There's a lot of Cruz support."

Rep. Trent Franks, a member of the House Freedom Caucus, attended the meeting briefly. So did conservative leader Bill Wichterman.

The event was advertised as a meeting of the group Conservatives of Faith. Erickson, who has floated the idea of a third-party candidate against Trump dialed in to the meeting by phone.

With wins in at least three nominating contests on Tuesday, Trump is the overwhelming front-runner in Republican delegates, though he still faces the possibility of a contested convention this summer, particularly if either of his remaining rivals, Cruz or Ohio Gov. John Kasich, gathers momentum.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/17/polit … index.html

Board footer