You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

Neemo wrote:

Never understood people's fascination with trent/nin ... nor how he came to be considered a Rock god ... the actual music itself is quite bland and the tones themselves ... expecially the guitar from my pov are quite bad

Never have been a fan ... from a guitarist standpoint alone... "Hurt" is an embarrasment ... from where I sit and from what I remember of trent's rise, his fame lies more in the imagery that he presented in videos amd album art that was appealing to teens / young adults, than the music itself ... funny cuz the videos were so fucked up they ended up getting banned , at least in Canada,  and all we have remaining is the pedestrian music

I'd liken NIN more to a "dark" dance music than anything .... and, for me, listening to a full NIN album is akin to some kind of torture, maybe only surpassed by making me listen to "fat of the land" by prodigy ... same shit to me ... fuck off with that electronica crap ... gimme a Les Paul thru a loud Marshall stack any day

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Regarding DJ ... I feel that bumble, Richard and DJ did the best at selling GnR guitar work as orginally presented ... I like DJ ... maybe not my favorite guitarist, but he has a decent sound and style that I enjoy...and his image that he made for himself looks good on stage...he's worked, successfully imo, on those iconic guitar poses that fans love, plus he has decent enough chops to pull out the cheers from the crowd ... superficial maybe but he's still good at it

I think Sixx AM is pretty cool ... I like them, Nikki and DJ make some solid music ... it's too bad that James Michael is so bland ... I wouldn't consider them nesessarily a singles band but their albums are pretty cohesive as a whole ... especially the debut...reading Nikki's book then listening to the album...it works well...I haven't bought the newest Sixx am album yet...I dunno if it's even out yet? Just heard the single on the radio on Friday. ..was ok

I agree he is a bit of a try hard where it comes to Asha $wag but hey if I could sell a bunch a shit with my name as the brand I would too 16 he's not gearing his image to 30 or 40 somethings ... it's more for the highschool / college kids ... it's like starwars...that shit ain't made for u or I anymore ... it's for the young'uns ... unfortunately he never got a break from GnR fans...I liked his ballad of death...was fun...I'd like to hear him and Axl together some day..

Regarding his departure from gnr...im wondering if it was a few things lead up to his leaving. ..Nikki ready to record/tour again and increasing likely hood that S&D were coming back ... seems that Tommy anyway gladly stepped aside for Duff's return...I could see DJ/Bumble doing the same ... both those guys had careers before gnr ... Bumble anyway had expressed feelings that he hoped slash and axl would reunite one day...Richard was the only session guy ... that was his career before gnr is playing for other people when needed

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

"Hurt" is an embarrasment

Neemo wrote:

I think Sixx AM is pretty cool

- 100,000 RESPECT POINTS

AtariLegend wrote:
otto wrote:

Sean Beavan, Chris Vrenna, Robin Finck, Chris Pitman, all The pro tools engineers.... But yeah... Axl did NOT want to be NIN.

Pitman was in Tool. Freese however went on to play in NIN a few years later.

This btw with both a Chinese Democracy Era drummer and guitarist doesn't sound anything like anything on Chinese Democracy tongue.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Neemo when I first heard Silkworms, my first thought was, "Why in the fuck is he doing second rate Prodigy? It's beneath him." The song finally grew on me but that's definitely what they were aiming for.  I can imagine them thinking in 99-00, "Yeah...lets do that. All the kids are dancing to this at raves. We'll have a hit. Pitman..Dizzy...go whip up some noise and I'll think of some mediocre lyrics that piss on a woman...but which one? Erin or Steph?". tongue 13

Some people say THIS song is a NIN ripoff. I hear Prodigy.

I don't hear NIN when listening to CD. Yeah he hired NIN members obviously but IMO closest thing to NIN is OMG. The main GNR/NIN comparison to me is that in the late 90s/2000s he turned GNR into NIN...as in NIN is Trent and GNR is Axl. Unfortunately he wouldn't market it that way like Trent did which needed to be done once all GNR members but him(and to an extent Tommy) were being ignored.

I know one thing....CD would have begged for a song like this as its first single. Talk about a hit to get people dancing in clubs/raves....and getting girls panties wet. Can never listen to this song without thinking of my then girlfriend....

The hype & bullshit around the turn of the century wasn't to push the new GnR. It was to belittle them, & Axl. Yea they have the rolling stone puff piece (from '99?) but even it only served up ammunition to mock Axl. For the press it was like shooting fish in a barrel, Axl running around with a circus act in his band looking like some wigger, the press thought it was a freak show. They didn't care about what was (or as it turns out, wasn't) being produced musically.

You're thinking of that 1998 Spin Magazine article that definitely pushed new GNR to the moon even though very little was known about them. They raved on the old band but it morphed into all this stuff new GNR was going to do. Best thing about this article is that song titles were revealed and this is when the mythical greatness of Prostitute was born. The article was titled 'What the world needs now is Axl Rose'.

I was referring to the amazing press they were getting for HOB and Rio. He had the world(or the US and South America) paying attention and wanting the album. Even taking the "vast media conspiracy against GNR" crap into consideration, you cant bring people like Tommy, Bucket, and Brain into the band, unveil new material, and expect the media to instantly shit on it(or mock it). They had cred right out the gate.

2002 is when things started to go haywire and of course ending in the fiasco at Philly(and Albany). Around 2003-04 is when CD hit pop culture joke status and when the 2006 comeback happened, even with Axl kicking ass,  the media at large had lost interest. Fans were having to find little puff pieces in the Podunk Times to post something positive during that tour.

The leaks caused some buzz but the cease and desist crap killed it.

I've always wanted to go to Europe but if new GNR were being shit on there back in 2000-01, glad I wasn't there. 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
otto wrote:

Sean Beavan, Chris Vrenna, Robin Finck, Chris Pitman, all The pro tools engineers.... But yeah... Axl did NOT want to be NIN.

Ok then.

Vrenna was Duff's idea, like Robin was Matt's (sorry monkey, you're arguing to argue at this point). Pitman was with Tool. And there was Sean who was Robin and Josh's suggestion, not Axl's. CD was not like NIN in any shape or form. Nor industrial.

The idea Axl tried to change GNR into NIN is just wrong.

Loader was a big supporter of the new line up, and has always been an Axl fan.

And I'm sure as shit not getting into a debate on NIN, especially when Syxx AM is brought up in the same breath.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

And I'm sure as shit not getting into a debate on NIN, especially when Syxx AM is brought up in the same breath.

Not a debate...I just don't feel that NIN are that big of deal...neither is Sixx AM...im not saying that NIN isn't big...they are...I just don't get it...never have been a fan

Their best song to me is head like a hole...and even that isn't all to innovative imho

AtariLegend wrote:

I wouldn't even know who DJ is or AM if I didn't post on a Guns N' Roses forum. Never seen any reference to them or heard any of their music on the radio this side of the Atlantic ever.

In fairness though I probably wouldn't have known who Bucket/Fortus/Frank/Pitman ect regardless of their careers is if I wasn't a GN'R fan.

Nine Inch Nails are one of the most influential acts of their generation. They're one of those acts that regularly get on "100 Greatest Artists of All Time" or album lists. Innovation implies something else. Reznor was once in Time's most influential people list and along with Spin ect. at different points. He's won oscars for movie soundtracks ect. and were one of the first artists to really go all out with basically promoting torrent-ing and putting their albums out for free download.

Not liking Trent's music over the years is one thing, but to put him on the same level as Sixx AM tongue.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
misterID wrote:
otto wrote:

Ok then.

Vrenna was Duff's idea, like Robin was Matt's (sorry monkey, you're arguing to argue at this point). Pitman was with Tool. And there was Sean who was Robin and Josh's suggestion, not Axl's. CD was not like NIN in any shape or form. Nor industrial.

The idea Axl tried to change GNR into NIN is just wrong.

Loader was a big supporter of the new line up, and has always been an Axl fan.

Do you have sources for The "ideas" and "suggestions"?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

There are no sources. This is all speculation.

Board footer