You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: DR. PEPPER ISSUES CHALLENGE TO AXL ROSE!

James wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Downloading is also a good way to introduce yourself to new music and more often than not will lead me to buy music by an artist that I'd not usually consider e.g M.I.A. I have found many a gem this way and as a result bands have had money from me that they wouldnt have otherwise got. Sure, there are a few turds that'll get a spin and are promptly deleted but thats how it is.

Excellent point. At our "old site", I had an MIA thread that got quite a bit of activity leading up to the release of her new album. When it leaked, I sent links to it to everybody in that thread who had minor interest in it. Most in the thread(CSS, polluxlm, russ, axl s, and others) liked the record. Did most buy it? Probably not. Did it increase the chances of them buying her first album Arular,her next album, or going to see her in concert? It sure did. Free downloads do in fact help the artist in examples such as that. Its like Dr. Pepper giving away a free soda in the hopes you like it and buy a 12 pack the next time you go to the store.

Another example is the CD demos. My cousin is not much of a GNR fan. Has very little interest, although knows some of the 80's hits and has heard me talking about the CD saga. When the leaks happened, I gave them to her. She really started to like The Blues, and wound up being the only GNR song on her Ipod. Does this increase the chances of her actually buying the album, or at least buying an excellent version of that song on Itunes? Definitely. When the demos leaked, I also gave them to some gangbangers I buy my painkillers from. They love old GNR, and appreciated the disc I gave them. Also liked the material. Did that increase the chance of them buying CD? Of course.

There is a bad side AND a good side to free downloads. People(specifically record labels) can lose money in the short term, yet these free downloads can create long term fans who will buy product for many years to come.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Dr Pepper spokesmen speaks out about promotion.

From Blabbermouth:

DR PEPPER Discusses 'Chinese Democracy' Challenge - Mar. 31, 2008
Greg Artkop, the Director of Corporate Communications for Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages (the parent company of Dr Pepper), has spoken to the GUNS N' ROSES fan site GnrDaily.com about the Dr Pepper soft drink company 's announcement that it will offer a free can of its signature soda to "everyone in America" if GN'R releases its long-delayed new album, "Chinese Democracy", in 2008. A few excerpts from the brief question-and-answer session follow:

GnrDaily.com: There is a tremendous buzz right now with regards to the Dr Pepper challenge. What brought this on?

Greg Artkop: Dr Pepper believes the world needs more GN'R. We wanted to do our part to get "Chinese Democracy" out of the studio and into our iPods.

GnrDaily.com: On the GN'R official web site, Axl [Rose] responded to the challenge, quite quickly in fact! To fans that was a surprise. Did you read his response? If so could you comment on it?

Greg Artkop: We were extremely pleased that Axl responded so quickly '” and favorably '” to our offer. I guess we'll have to expand to include a Dr Pepper for Buckethead. That was an interesting and unexpected bonus!

GnrDaily.com: How far is Dr Pepper willing to go with this challenge? Is there a possibility of commercials? Or concert sponsorships? Or would you go as far as an album tie in?

Greg Artkop: If Dr Pepper is approached to support the release we'll definitely consider it.

GnrDaily.com: Has your company gone as far as developing a plan to carry out the distribution of their product should the album actually be released this year? If so and you can share what is it?

Greg Artkop: If the album is released in 2008, everyone will have the opportunity to download a coupon for a free Dr Pepper from our website.

GnrDaily.com: Has anyone from your company had contact with GUNS N' ROSES management or with Axl himself regarding the challenge?

Greg Artkop: We heard from GN'R management regarding the challenge. They were surprised about the offer but supportive of our efforts as you can tell from Axl's response.

GnrDaily.com: I'm sure our readers want to know, are you a GUNS N' ROSES fan? If so do you have a favorite song?

Greg Artkop: Big GN'R fan. Not enough room to list all my faves but my favorite GN'R song is still "Welcome to the Jungle". And thanks to Guitar Hero III, I've learned that you haven't lived until you've played it on a plastic guitar. Adrenaline kicks in every time I hear it!

"Chinese Democracy" has reportedly been in the works since 1995, with Rose the only original member still in the band. According to a report published two years ago by the New York Times, Rose had allegedly burned through $13 million in the studio by that point.

Although a revamped GUNS lineup toured successfully in 2006 and Rose tentatively promised that the record would be out last March, it never materialized and little has been heard about it since.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Fair enough interview, although it's nothing new. Not like we expected them to do anything else but play the part.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Backslash wrote:

Big GN'R fan. Not enough room to list all my faves but my favorite GN'R song is still "Welcome to the Jungle". And thanks to Guitar Hero III, I've learned that you haven't lived until you've played it on a plastic guitar. Adrenaline kicks in every time I hear it!

That's pretty funny.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I guess we'll have to expand to include a Dr Pepper for Buckethead.

haha thats gonna break the bank for sure

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I guess we'll have to expand to include a Dr Pepper for Buckethead.

haha thats gonna break the bank for sure

only if they have to provide pop for his chickens

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

One wanders what Dr Pepper will say at the end of 2008 if there's no album. How about:

Dr Pepper will give everyone in America a can of Dr Pepper if Chinese Democracy is released by Feb!

And then in Feb

Dr Pepper will give everyone a can of Dr Pepper if Chinese Democracy is released by the Fall!

And on it will go, suckers!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer