You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Shout out to Philadelphia fans...

James wrote:

Probably because they know Santa made his list, checked it twice, and everyone in Philly is on the naughty list....

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Just want to say that the 1988 and 1991 Philly gigs are some of the most energetic arena gigs I've seen on YouTube. I'm watching the 1991 gig and Axl actually commented that Sebastian Bach mentioned earlier in the evening the crowd is crazy. Axl goes, "This is like the biggest kegger I've ever seen." Haha. The crowd is fucking nuts for GN'R! Same goes for the 1988 gig too.

Anyone on this board attend either of those Philly gigs back in the day?

I was at both shows. thanks for the recognition!! glad you noticed because the show in 1991 was the greatest of my life, and I have sent this show to various friends and family and specifically point out how insane the crowd was that night, and how much energy Axl had on stage. he ran around like a caged animal and you could tell he was feeding off the crowd. I remember the energy in that building being unbelievable, and I was glad when I saw this on youtube a few years ago because you can hear the crowd non-stop throughout most of the show. people were so fired up they were just screaming the whole time. I remember my buddy saying that it was almost scary how energized the crowd was. we always comment how we've never seen anything like it. metallica shows have come close, and my buddy says some pearl jam shows have come close as well (I'm not a huge fan), but I'm sure i'll never see anything like that again.

initially, GnR did not announce a philly show. then sunday night, they announce a show at the spectrum for that Thursday. Tickets went on sale Monday at 4PM. that was exam week at most schools in philly, so most got out around noon. i went to the mall for tix by 1PM and there was a line around the block, but i still was able to get tix. that Thursday was also the last day of the school year for a lot of people. i think that was a factor as well...we were basically kicking off our summer with that show.

in the middle of WTTJ, Axl stops the show and starts yelling at someone up front for starting fights and being obnoxious. St. Louis hadn't happened yet, but i remember thinking "oh shit, this could get ugly". But then Axl says to start the song over. so we got to hear the first half of the song twice. it was an incredible moment.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

This thread reminded me a few weeks ago I was on youtube pished and I was watching an amazing 91 show, the energy of the band was on another level to other shows. I just searched through my youtube history, and sure enough, Philadelphia Spectrum 91!

Aye get that fucker out the vault please.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Philly is a rough town. They don't give a fuck. Kind of like New Orleans of the North.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
sandman wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Just want to say that the 1988 and 1991 Philly gigs are some of the most energetic arena gigs I've seen on YouTube. I'm watching the 1991 gig and Axl actually commented that Sebastian Bach mentioned earlier in the evening the crowd is crazy. Axl goes, "This is like the biggest kegger I've ever seen." Haha. The crowd is fucking nuts for GN'R! Same goes for the 1988 gig too.

Anyone on this board attend either of those Philly gigs back in the day?

I was at both shows. thanks for the recognition!! glad you noticed because the show in 1991 was the greatest of my life, and I have sent this show to various friends and family and specifically point out how insane the crowd was that night, and how much energy Axl had on stage. he ran around like a caged animal and you could tell he was feeding off the crowd. I remember the energy in that building being unbelievable, and I was glad when I saw this on youtube a few years ago because you can hear the crowd non-stop throughout most of the show. people were so fired up they were just screaming the whole time. I remember my buddy saying that it was almost scary how energized the crowd was. we always comment how we've never seen anything like it. metallica shows have come close, and my buddy says some pearl jam shows have come close as well (I'm not a huge fan), but I'm sure i'll never see anything like that again.

initially, GnR did not announce a philly show. then sunday night, they announce a show at the spectrum for that Thursday. Tickets went on sale Monday at 4PM. that was exam week at most schools in philly, so most got out around noon. i went to the mall for tix by 1PM and there was a line around the block, but i still was able to get tix. that Thursday was also the last day of the school year for a lot of people. i think that was a factor as well...we were basically kicking off our summer with that show.

in the middle of WTTJ, Axl stops the show and starts yelling at someone up front for starting fights and being obnoxious. St. Louis hadn't happened yet, but i remember thinking "oh shit, this could get ugly". But then Axl says to start the song over. so we got to hear the first half of the song twice. it was an incredible moment.

Thanks for sharing your memories. That Jungle thing was hilarious. Axl absolutely destroyed the guy, haha. "You are a stupid motherfucker. You just got the shit kicked out of you and you keep asking for more!" Axl was the best ranter of all-time, lol.

At the very end Slash gave you guys mega props. Mentioned that it was the 10th or 11th gig of the tour and Philly fans blew everyone else out of the water.

I will say it was a pretty killer setlist too, especially since the new albums weren't out yet. Perfect Crime was a great opening with that crazy ass crowd.

James

James wrote:
sandman wrote:

in the middle of WTTJ, Axl stops the show and starts yelling at someone up front for starting fights and being obnoxious. St. Louis hadn't happened yet, but i remember thinking "oh shit, this could get ugly". But then Axl says to start the song over. so we got to hear the first half of the song twice. it was an incredible moment

A similar incident happened at my show as well. Many years ago some of us wondered if this stuff wasn't as spontaneous as we thought in our youth. YOu could make a case either way for it being a work or the fact he is just very observant of fights happening at their shows and for reasons unknown, wanted to make it a big thing.

That was such a great tour. I'll always regret not going to both nights in Mountain View. Had I known Izzy was going to bail, I'd have begged my dad to take me to both and also the Sac or Concorde show.

Good to see you back.  Weren't you at the riot show as well?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I was one of those at the riot show James. I think Tommie was there as well.

I regret not going in 91.  I was 18 and geaduating high school.  It couldve been the night i geaduated, or it was right around then.  I just dont remember exactly why, i remember a kid asking if i wanted to go. I think they played a show in hershey, pa too.

So cool u went Sandman. Which mall did u score tickets at? I grew up near the willow grove mall.

James

James wrote:

I was 16 in 1991. My dad and I did not have a great relationship anymore past 89 and he died in 95 but I will always be grateful for him understanding my love of GNR and how I HAD to go see them on that tour. I lived and breathed GNR, bought every magazine,etc. He was a drug dealer at the time, a major flake, other shit I wont go into now, but at least he made my year with that.

He liked them too but not a huge fan. Plus he hadn't been to a concert since the Doobie Brothers in 1980.

Yeah Pasnow...Tommie...I thought Sandman....there's at least one more. I hate how I forget names of people here until they pop back up and then I instantly remember them.

If you went to ANY Philly show and are lurking in this thread....please log in and post. Curiosity is about to kill my cat...

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
sandman wrote:

in the middle of WTTJ, Axl stops the show and starts yelling at someone up front for starting fights and being obnoxious. St. Louis hadn't happened yet, but i remember thinking "oh shit, this could get ugly". But then Axl says to start the song over. so we got to hear the first half of the song twice. it was an incredible moment

A similar incident happened at my show as well. Many years ago some of us wondered if this stuff wasn't as spontaneous as we thought in our youth. YOu could make a case either way for it being a work or the fact he is just very observant of fights happening at their shows and for reasons unknown, wanted to make it a big thing.

That was such a great tour. I'll always regret not going to both nights in Mountain View. Had I known Izzy was going to bail, I'd have begged my dad to take me to both and also the Sac or Concorde show.

Good to see you back.  Weren't you at the riot show as well?

thanks! always check this board, even if I'm not posting. been loving all the talk the last few months. this is the place for intelligent thoughts on GnR.

yes, I was at the 2002 riot as well. I brought 7 of my closest friends/family, and I was so pumped they were finally going to see the return of Axl. LOL! 5 of those 7 will never go to another gnr show. they were really turned off big time by Axl that night.

it's gonna be interesting to see how the Philly show sells. I have a feeling there will be a lot of tickets available.

James

James wrote:

this is the place for intelligent thoughts on GnR.

True...which is why you should post more.

Interesting how STL was dropped from the tour. As far as Philly tickets go, that's a coin toss right there. I mean...yeah a riot happened and most probably remember it....but it was a different band, a different time.

Now you've got me interested in this Philly show. The demographic of that crowd could be revealing. If majority is teens/college students, then old school fans in that area still have a sour taste in their mouth from that incident.

I felt really bad for that crowd. I think it was you and/or PhillyRiot on the old version of the site who posted a lengthy review of what happened there and it was just inexcusable.

Board footer