You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: The consequences of the Iron Throne

apex-twin wrote:

After 'You Could Be Mine', Axl asks the crowd, "Have you ever heard the expression break a leg? Well, I think I just did."

Axl actually injures his heel and is forced to wear a brace on it for the first few weeks of  the "UYI" tour.

- The Ritz, NYC, May 16th, 91. Third warm-up show for the tour.

His left foot, again. Apparently, it's the fragile one, so the years got back at Uncle Axl there. Back then, Axl used a custom-made brace to actually move around the stage. The nature of the injury was probably a bit different and required less operating / recuperating, as he's hardly letting it get in his way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08nif-97TMs

This time, we get the Iron Throne, courtesy of Dave Grohl. The Foo Fighters crew had a bit of a laugh putting it together, apparently, with the oval of lights and the guitar-necks on the sides. I noticed Axl pushes a button on his right to change his mic channel, to talk to the band / crew. He does a lot of talk during a song. The Iron Throne is a good way to circumvent the obvious issue, but where does it leave the band?

Slash is now the main attraction. He moves around at ease, with the limelight following him. Duff and Fortus, ever so enthusiastic, are providing him with back-up, without stepping on his toes. Fortunately, Slash has the chops to pull it through, he's had 20-odd years to fine-tune his stage presence. Axl's fortunate to have the contemporary Guitar Hero taking the heat off him. Imagine had this happening a few years back.

Axl's omnipresent. Less costume changes, more time to witness the show. I remember seeing him in '06. The band was late. Axl was still en route to the country(!). Jungle opened and Axl literally warped into the front, all poise. I took it as nerves, that bee-line he wanted to make straight on to the stage. To his credit, he did put out a hell of a show.

Now, he's there all the time. During his downtime, he has the opportunity to soak it all up. Looking left, there's Slash. On his right, Duff. Here and there is his made man Fortus, the ultimate Izzy replacement. I'd imagine he'd be placated by this sight. I'd say Fortus is a better showman than Izzy, to be honest. I love Izzy for being Izzy, but Fortus covers the big stages better.

The Iron Throne changes the on-stage dynamics in an interesting way. It can actually be beneficial for Ax himself, to be able to live in the moment and adjusting to the situation. Slash can and will do his own thing, reclaiming his old space. Meanwhile, you can tell that Ax is itching to get up and running again, as it's obvious he likes what he sees in front of him.

Axl's voice. Shall we say, 2010 again, or shall we wait until Coachella for that verdict? I was positively surprised. There was that certain tone there, he really sounded excited to be there and sing. Stick with the process and recover mobility by the summer and we could see him going after his 2006 powerhouse performances.

Axl/DC. I doubt they want to do the Iron Throne thing. However, given the prognosis of a one-month cast, he should be fine by the time Angus wants him, if he does. Maybe a bit standing-still, but fine nevertheless. If they give him a pass, he loses squat, because they can always explain it away with the injury and allowing him to keep healing and Guns a priority. Publicity gained.

In the final analysis, I think Axl's enjoying the role of the underdog again. The fortunate bit is that this thing happened early enough to affect only the warm-up shows - but does anyone find it slightly eerie that history repeats itself?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Great post. You're right....Slash is the featured attraction once again. You're looking for him while watching the footage...doesn't matter which song. It's almost like a reflex.

I also noticed him talking to Duff and Slash. It's a great sign. They're not just phoning it in for a truckload of cash.

Everything we watched tonight was everything that was missing 1996-2014.

but does anyone find it slightly eerie that history repeats itself?

Interesting timing no doubt. It's exciting. MOnths after he injured himself back then.... we had a single on the radio.

I'd imagine he'd be placated by this sight. I'd say Fortus is a better showman than Izzy, to be honest. I love Izzy for being Izzy, but Fortus covers the big stages better.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it....I love Izzy. Always have. If he were to show up in Frisco and they perform Dust N Bones, I'd be in tears. Having said that, he isn't required. I'm not a Fortus fan as everyone here knows but I have no problems with this lineup. They are clearly delivering the goods. If they stay on this course they have set, the where's Izzy and Adler chants on the forums/social media are going to go silent.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The iron throne timing is good. Game of Thrones is back on TV later this month and luckily this injury didn't happen during the summer tour. Axl will have around two months after Coachella to get into standing/walking condition.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

I think it's fair to note, that the Iron Throne has possibly been provided by Dave Grohl, and if I remember correctly, Axl thanked Dave or made some joke about it during the show.
this is the same Throne, only at GNR show the red back has been covered by black cloth. I think by the end of the show the cloth fell down and the throne got red again.
Grohl_3365644b.jpg
anyway, I really loved the way they solved this problem and yeah, I immediately thought that Axl is sitting there like an Emperor, watching at his band. surreal!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

zombux wrote:

I think it's fair to note, that the Iron Throne has possibly been provided by Dave Grohl, and if I remember correctly, Axl thanked Dave or made some joke about it during the show.
this is the same Throne, only at GNR show the red back has been covered by black cloth. I think by the end of the show the cloth fell down and the throne got red again.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc … 65644b.jpg
anyway, I really loved the way they solved this problem and yeah, I immediately thought that Axl is sitting there like an Emperor, watching at his band. surreal!

Axl apparently said it wasn't his idea to cover the FF logo, and took the cloth off for Paradise City. "It's a good advertisement, the least we could do."
Given that it was rustled up at very short notice (and how lucky that there should be a rock throne knocking around for just such an eventuality?), I wonder if they're going to put a proper GN'R logo on the cloth for Coachella.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Amazing how Grohl somehow gets involved in every reunion. If ABBA reunite he'll be onstage holding a disco ball.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
zombux wrote:

Thanks for pointing it out, news to me.

And to have Dave Grohl, one of the most liked people in rock, just hand over the Iron Throne to Axl.
Hold that thought for a while. The Nirvana drummer giving him a throne. King Axl, again.

The last time Grohl bailed him was when Foo Fighters headlined Rock in Rio Lisboa in 2004 14

http://loudwire.com/axl-rose-dave-grohl … egas-show/

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Amazing how Grohl somehow gets involved in every reunion. If ABBA reunite he'll be onstage holding a disco ball.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
zombux wrote:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc … 65644b.jpg

He looks a little bit like Tim Curry there.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Cramer wrote:

He looks a little bit like Tim Curry there.

well, I have absolutely no idea who Tim Curry is, but I just got a huge Appetite For Curry. I guess must have some curry soon big_smile

Board footer