You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Amateur Photography at: "Not In This Lifetime" Guns Shows

I had no idea where to put this. I was thinking maybe in the Vegas, but it isn't for that show.

So I am wondering how many out there use a DSLR?

I know that when I go to any concerts I try and get my camera in. The Killers was one show I got mine in. They hate cameras as Brandon Flowers brother in law does the photography. Also, Brian Wilson I had to coat check mine, but got it at the encore. After, two failed attempts to get it in. One was I pretended to be at the ATM and just proceeded to go to my seat ha.  I am not selling the photographs for profit, but building a portfolio for myself and just trying to get more experience. Also, with cellphones it is not like their picture isn't going to be taken or their souls taken ha.

Has anyone here gotten their DSLR in to a show?

I know with those asshole terrorists we get metal detected now up here in Canada (SkyDome). I assume with guns and what not you guys get  the wand or the walkthrough detection in the states.

I'm going to the Detroit show at Ford Field, so I assume the band doesn't like having people take in their cameras.

Anyway around that?

I don't assume their management would respond to some fucking Canuck that just wants to take pictures from his seat.

An in with the band might help, but, I have no media reputation so yeah.

Just wondering if anyone had any idea or thoughts.

Thanks.

P.S. Yes I don't want Axl Rose jumping in the crowd and breaking my camera / causing a Panic in Detriot ha.

Lomax wrote:

He will find you and he will kill you. axl while the rest stand around and watch 21duff fortus frank

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

What's the point?

If you're trying to build a portfolio, get media credentials. Go photograph bands who are young and don't care. Go to clubs or theaters.

TheSundanceKid

Lomax wrote:

He will find you and he will kill you. axl while the rest stand around and watch 21duff fortus frank

Not unless I get his soul first ha.

Gagarin wrote:

What's the point?

If you're trying to build a portfolio, get media credentials. Go photograph bands who are young and don't care. Go to clubs or theaters.

The point is capturing the moment from my perspective and not on my cellphone.

I've done media credentials before and got some. Like I said though, an artist of that caliber would likely not respond to someone like me. Plus I wouldn't be asking to be in the photo pit, but, just taking a few at my seat. Also, some media credentials take away the photographers copyright. For example look at: The Foo Fighters / Taylor Swift.

So again if anyone has tidbits that would be appreciated. I can handle being shit on, but, yeah.

Lomax wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:
Lomax wrote:

Not unless I get his soul first ha.

Gagarin wrote:

What's the point?

I've done media credentials before and got some. Like I said though, an artist of that caliber would likely not respond to someone like me. Plus I wouldn't be asking to be in the photo pit, but, just taking a few at my seat. Also, some media credentials take away the photographers copyright. For example look at: The Foo Fighters / Taylor Swift.

So again if anyone has tidbits that would be appreciated. I can handle being shit on, but, yeah.

If you weren't official and were taking shots at my show I'd kick you out.

Simple as that.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Realistically you'd need a pretty decent zoom lens in addition to the camera body.  Security nowadays is pretty tight ( i believe some venues have metal detectors).  Mostly, they'll be searching for people sneaking in beers, but I wouldn't want them to catch me bringing a camera in. I don't know what they do but my guess is you'll just walk back to your car & come back & wait in (long) line all over again.

In the summer heat, it'll be hard to sneak a DSLR & Lens in.  IMHO at least.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Security was very tight in Las Vegas. Metal detectors and went through purses etc. was like an airport and I liked that. Safety first.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Security was very tight in Las Vegas. Metal detectors and went through purses etc. was like an airport and I liked that. Safety first.

Absolutely. That's good to hear. This is a huge event, so it needs to be treated as such. Leave nothing to chance.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

but building a portfolio for myself and just trying to get more experience

Which one is it? These are in contradiction with each other.

I'm not shitting on you. It's just the last place I want to take *MY* $1,000+ of delicate equipment is a GNR show.

You can get a mirrorless camera that could pass as 'point and shoot', I suppose.

TheSundanceKid

PaSnow wrote:

Realistically you'd need a pretty decent zoom lens in addition to the camera body.  Security nowadays is pretty tight ( i believe some venues have metal detectors).  Mostly, they'll be searching for people sneaking in beers, but I wouldn't want them to catch me bringing a camera in. I don't know what they do but my guess is you'll just walk back to your car & come back & wait in (long) line all over again.

In the summer heat, it'll be hard to sneak a DSLR & Lens in.  IMHO at least.

I do have a helluva good zoom lens.

I don't know if going in with just a lens and someone else with me taking the body would work?

I assume the worst that could happen is they coat check it like what happened with the Killers ha.

The security were wondering how I got it in and I was like a magician never tells his secrets.

I get what some people are saying here.

But, really it shouldn't matter if some fuck wants to take photos at your show. As long as they have a ticket and aren't annoying everyone around them.

Board footer