You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: 20/4/16 FORO SOL, MEXICO CITY, MEXICO

tejastech08 wrote:

According to this article they reached 65,000 attendance for the second show.

http://www.elsoldemexico.com.mx/especta … -concierto

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Ah.. I missed TWAT sad    Hope I can find a video later.  Too busy with work today but glad to see they played it.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

And Frank Ferrer has suddenly stepped up the pace WAY too much. Try Don't Cry.
I hate it when bands slow their songs down, like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith, but Fast Frank is too fast.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
misterID wrote:

The beginning has always been tough for Axl to sing, but those screams are worth the price of admission.

We must've seen a different video.

Yes, his voice has been commendable as of late. But what I heard there was a voice in agony, screeching through the notes beyond its reach. I remain hopeful, as TWAT is a helluva song for him to sing live (even in '06). Plus, we're still early into a tour - by rule, Axl tends to warm up his pipes fully on the road. And he's sitting down, which is a big difference for a physical performer like him.

Anyway. He was a beast with it in 2009. 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3onmpn-sz0M

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Better video of TWAT:

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Ok, that's an improvement 22

I still find it below his impressive '09-'10 level.

He holds the chainsaw note in 'youuu' less, there. He goes into it well enough, but it feels like a power drop. It may, at this hour, be him preserving his voice, as he needs to get through Coachella #2 without incident.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm not bringing up Robin or Bucket, these guys have a special place to me, I'm not comparing them and there's no need to trash anyone to praise another... Except Ron and DJ of course 16

No one needs to play note for note or play perfect, Slash is feeling the music. The music sounds more punk and fiery. I think Axl and Slash are on the same page. As for anyone complaining about tempo... Still. There was a great point that that's how the songs are being rehearsed. Bucket played much faster, also.

Apex, I think we are hearing things differently. Axl's screams gave me chills. I don't care how long a note is held or how closely Slash played a lick compared to the studio, it has heart and fire. It's rock &roll.

And I would almost guarantee we'll have new music my Christmas.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think you're both right on the screams.

I agree with misterID to an extent in that it gave me chills too. So nice to hear Axl with rasp again, and I enjoyed Slash's cover of bucket's solo - so it was a phenomenal version.

That said Apex-Twin is spot on that the scream was less than 2009 levels. Although I'd say the overall vocals and rasp were more prominent in the other parts of the song. But as far as the screams in the middle - Axl didn't perform the super high note - from memory it's a g#6 or something insane like that. He sang that word a couple of notes lower yesterday.

Listen to this scream in 2009 and then last nights and you can hear what I mean:

That said. It's an amazing performance anyway. Lets hope at some point later in the tour he nails it. It's worth noting that yesterdays version was well above 2014 levels.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Do you guys think it's ironic to hear Slash ripping on a Paul Huge's song? smile

And by the way, do you think Slash KNOWS it is a Paul song?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

TWAT hasn't sounded this good since it leaked. Unfortunate that we never got to hear Bucket play it. We wanted the best but he couldn't fucking make it....so here's what we get....from Hollywood.....

bigbri wrote:

Amazing TWAT solo. I'll expound later, but I think it says something that he completely gutted the TIL solo but followed the TWAT blueprint while putting his own spin on it.

Good observation. Respect the chicken but throw away the mashed potatoes.

Not a dig at Finck but its obvious he did not like that solo.

Axl is nailing this song vocally. I love how he sings 'Lonely tear drops are calling you....but I don't wanna know it now....'

We need this in HQ very badly.

AtariLegend wrote:

Disagree entirely on that. There Was A Time/Chinese Democracy sound excellent at the minute. The less layers actually making them feel more alive (live) now to me.

I agree. I'm surprised zombux isn't too thrilled with it as he's a huge fan of the early CD lineups and this reunion is taking the songs back to their roots. The current version of CD and the HOB version blow away the noise pollution album/ post CD performances of the song out of the water.

AtariLegend wrote:

One upside/downside to take out of this. There Was A Time looks like it's the alternative for Coma. That means there's a chance when Axl is out of the chair they'll be playing it more often, but it might mean Coma will become rarer again.

For the moment. This strategy was used by Soundgarden as well....a rotation of deep cuts. One night fans get Head Down, 4th of July, etc. and the next night in those slots you get Mind Riot, Birth Ritual,etc.

They aren't phoning it in. This strategy also points out the laziness of the CD years. Those rehash set lists could have been performed in their sleep. I'll never forget how they wanted us to think those set lists were "spontaneous".

bigbri wrote:

And so what if he's shredding?

14 Yeah...no shit. Its ok for Ron to wank all over the songs needlessly but its somehow a disappointment for Slash to shred within the context of the song.

I agree with DCK on how Bucket gave great renditions of certain old songs but Ron jumped the shark on some of the material and I don't see a problem with Slash adding his own ingredients to songs. If any guitarist to ever perform in this band has the right to take liberties with material, it is Slash...

And I would almost guarantee we'll have new music my Christmas.

One song? A possibility. Full album? Set your watch for next year.

otto wrote:

Do you guys think it's ironic to hear Slash ripping on a Paul Huge's song? smile

And by the way, do you think Slash KNOWS it is a Paul song?

Of course he knows. He's also heard the rest of the material and likely knows who was involved with each track. When he starts retooling songs he's going to want to know who is playing specific tracks within each layer that require removal. 22

Board footer