You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

I'm a hardcore GnR fan and a more casual AC/DC fan.. granted I've gotten a bigger appreciation for them now.

If it was the other way around, and I was a hardcore AC/DC fan, I could see why some fans aren't happy with Axl as the singer.

Really, Axl is doing a better job than anyone expected.   But imagine if someone like Sebastian Bach or Myles Kennedy replaced Axl on a GnR tour..  We would all be PISSED!!  even the Slash fans would be up in arms!!

Axl is sounding better than Brian did on this last tour.    But that's not going to matter to some fans.   

Of course, no one is forcing anyone to attend the shows.  I wouldn't attend a GnR show without Axl.. and so I don't blame an AC/DC fan who  wouldn't attend a show without Brian.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not mocking Brian. I feel for the guy. I know what its like to not be able to hear shit and have contant ringing in your ears. I'm risking more hearing damage by going to see GNR. Having said that, I'll call a spade a spade. He sounds terrible in that video and you cant compare Axl fiascos to it.

He had a great run. His ears couldn't hold up until the end of the road. Shit happens. Angus chose to move forward.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm not mocking Brian. I feel for the guy. I know what its like to not be able to hear shit and have contant ringing in your ears. I'm risking more hearing damage by going to see GNR. Having said that, I'll call a spade a spade. He sounds terrible in that video and you cant compare Axl fiascos to it.

He had a great run. His ears couldn't hold up until the end of the road. Shit happens. Angus chose to move forward.

I don't think shit just happens when you're dealing with Brian, who sang on Back in Black, the second best selling album of all time. That's an insult to music. Brian couldn't hear and that's why he sounded poor, because of a handicap and that's the only reason he isn't going to play football and soccer stadiums until the day he passes. Brian and AC/DC are the gold standard. As much as Axl and Slash are my favorites, they can't lace their boots.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

He sounds terrible in that video and you cant compare Axl fiascos to it.

Why not? He sounds off because he couldn't hear. He is also very old to be singing that style at 68.

Why did Axl sound bad at Rio 2011 or for that matter on the nights in 2002 where he sang like that. Is there even a reason?

If anything Axl's disasters are far more questionable than the last couple of shows of Brian's career being sub par when he has an obvious disability.

It's really cool that 20 plus years on Axl has decided to fix things with Slash, has resumed singing in his famous style, and is giving his all to helping Angus out of a jam....but let's not get it out of perspective. Brian has been a rock for ac/dc for 30 years.

James

James wrote:

I never said Brian wasn't a rock for AC/DC. I'm aware of his long tenure in the band. I remember watching MTV in 1st-2nd grade and seeing AC/DC videos.

Yeah Axl had some fiascos in 2011 but irreversible hearing damage wasn't the cause or you'd be hearing Axl sing like Brian now in the above clip. Instead AXl has rediscovered his prime. That's why comparing the two is apples and bowling balls. Axl had to stop being lazy and take things seriously....Brian cant get a new set of ears.

Its not just age. Jagger is older than he is and talks the songs just fine. The guy simply blew out his ears. He admits this. Shit happens. It takes its toll and not singing in AC/DC is the least of his worries. In fact, its the absolute LAST thing he should ever do from here on out and any AC/DC fans demanding he come back need to spend one day with his hearing. Hell, spend one day with mine.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So you admit to hearing problems and then say the guy sounds like shit. Maybe it's your hearing? 16 Kidding, kidding. He does sound really bad in recent concerts. I feel bad for him. At this point I just hope his doctors can help him keep his hearing or make it better. Leading a normal life needs to be Priority #1 for him now.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

He sounds terrible in that video and you cant compare Axl fiascos to it.

Why not? He sounds off because he couldn't hear. He is also very old to be singing that style at 68.

Why did Axl sound bad at Rio 2011 or for that matter on the nights in 2002 where he sang like that. Is there even a reason?

If anything Axl's disasters are far more questionable than the last couple of shows of Brian's career being sub par when he has an obvious disability.

It's really cool that 20 plus years on Axl has decided to fix things with Slash, has resumed singing in his famous style, and is giving his all to helping Angus out of a jam....but let's not get it out of perspective. Brian has been a rock for ac/dc for 30 years.

Regarding Axl's vocals, I think the fact he quit smoking in the mid-90's is the big issue. Brian still smokes to this day and I think that helped him maintain the natural rasp in his voice all the way to the end. Axl's rasp came from smoking and when he quit, the rasp went away. He has to force it now to get it to show up. The fact he basically disappeared for almost a decade and wasn't singing for many years probably didn't help matters either.

James

James wrote:

I feel really bad for him too, said so from the start, but apparently I'm mocking the guy because he cant cut it in this situation.

Its not something for him to play around with and his fan club needs to realize that. Just going to a concert much less singing at one will make it worse. I've had tinnitus since 2006. It was at a fairly steady rate but I dealt with it. Went to that Buckethead concert in 2011 and my ears were shot for days. I couldn't hear shit walking out of that club. Any concert from then on out are against doctor's orders. I had to see Soundgarden because that's a bucket list item. That wasn't in a small club though so my ears not damaged to the extent of what happened at the Bucket show. Only reason I'm going to this GNR reunion is because its also a bucket list item. No one else is worth the risk. Bucket just added a bay area show to his tour but I cant even entertain the idea of going.

I listened to extremely loud music for decades(headphones did the most damage), concerts in my youth, and that massive pain pill addiction and my ears have suffered the consequences of those actions. I hear constant ringing and what sounds like a fan blowing in the room at all times. I'm not a singer but with my damage I would be in no shape to do such a tour and he is much worse than I am.

Anyone thinking this guy is coming back after Axl fills in on these dates is living in a pipe dream.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Regarding Axl's vocals, I think the fact he quit smoking in the mid-90's is the big issue. Brian still smokes to this day and I think that helped him maintain the natural rasp in his voice all the way to the end. Axl's rasp came from smoking and when he quit, the rasp went away. He has to force it now to get it to show up. The fact he basically disappeared for almost a decade and wasn't singing for many years probably didn't help matters either.

Something else fans ignore because some like to act like Axl never did drugs is meth and/or cocaine. On parts of that UYI tour he is definitely using. I doubt he ever injected but when you snort that shit it is draining down the back of your throat. Another sign is when he's itching his nose every few seconds. That's not allergies. 16 I haven't watched Tokyo in eons but there were several moments where its obvious he had used backstage and his vocals are not up to snuff.

Its why Stevie Nicks had roadies blow the coke up her asshole. She didn't want it to fuck with her vocals.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

I'd have blown it up her asshole. Just saying....

Board footer