You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Axl's back on his feet again (sort of).

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

The old man is off his rocker!!!

Lookin good.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

I strongly advise people to hit up YouTube and search for videos of the latest gig in Belgium as they are simply incredible:

Axl is absolutely on fire. Like a man possessed.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He does look possessed, but I'm worried his voice is starting to drag behind. I do hear some vocal fatigue in spots. Compare the outro wails in Back in Black with the gigs from a few days ago.

Axl before If You Want Blood: This is a song about the rising cost of living. 16

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

The reviews in the Belgian newspapers are very good (for those that read Dutch):
http://www.demorgen.be/muziek/ac-dc-in- … -be357a53/
http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20160517_02291944

I think the title of the first article says it all, but it's worth mentioning that they specifically point out that Axl was often hit and miss in the last 10 years, but that this show he sounded better than they've heard him in a long time (first time GNR performed in Belgium was in '93).

The second article starts with the following sentence: "Axl Rose kwam, zag en deed wat hij moest doen ten dienste van een AC/DC dat moeiteloos de wei van Werchter inpakte.", or in English: "Axl Rose came, saw and did what he had to do in service of an AC/DC that effortlessly blew away the audience at Werchter's festival grounds." (that "blew away" is a loose translation, taken literally it says that AC/DC "effortlessly wrapped up the audience", it usually means something very similar to "wrapping someone around your finder" or "having someone eat out of the palm of your hand").

TheMole

TheMole wrote:

Also, I have to say I was really frustrated that I hadn't bothered picking up one of those returned tickets (there were 2000 left, in the end). I live about 20 miles away from where the festival grounds are and I could hear the songs in my back yard (not very well, mind you, but still). I could hear the drums and bass (as is usually the case), but this time I could also make out the vocals (very unusual). It really felt like he was rubbing my nose in the missed opportunity!

GNR better swing by these parts soon, and he'd better bring his A-game then as well!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I'm confused. I met some Belgians on holiday and they said they spoke flemish, which to me was very close to German. It definitely wasn't Dutch as I meet hollanders every week through work. I see on wiki only 1% of the country speaks German (I assume the protestants), and these folks were definitely not that.

Impressive that you were able to hear the vocals.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'm confused. I met some Belgians on holiday and they said they spoke flemish, which to me was very close to German. It definitely wasn't Dutch as I meet hollanders every week through work. I see on wiki only 1% of the country speaks German (I assume the protestants), and these folks were definitely not that.

Impressive that you were able to hear the vocals.

Flemish is Dutch with a different accent (that might be more reminiscent of German to some, we use same G and R sounds as the Germans, which is different from the G and R sounds used in the Netherlands.). The part of the Netherlands north of the river Maas is what's usually refered to when Dutch people speak of Holland, and their accent is distinctly different from the southern part of the Netherlands, which gets more extreme as you go into Flanders.

I'd say the difference in accent between Dutch and Flemish is about as extreme as the difference between Scottish and 'proper' English, so much so that if you don't speak the language you might not be able to notice that their one and the same.

Furthermore, the Dutch have a much thicker, more recognizable accent than the Flemish when speaking English.

AtariLegend wrote:

It's good he's off his feet. I hope for the best at the UK shows, that's where the worst crowds could potentially be.

I hope nothing goes wrong there.

johndivney wrote:

Don't reckon there's ever much aggravation @ acca dacca gigs..??

Most people'll prob be too shitfaced &  far from the stage to care about their dislike of uncle axl.

Be interesting the energy he brings when he's fully fit - does he just fall back on his gnr repertoire, tone it down a bit or play it straight..  Should be well into the swing of it by time of rearranged us dates..

Board footer