You are not logged in. Please register or login.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: Nick Menza has passed away

CSS 2.0 wrote:

The former drummer with the US thrash metal band Megadeth, Nick Menza, has died after collapsing on stage at a gig in California.

Menza, who was 51, is said to have suffered a heart attack during one of his regular sessions with his band OHM at a small Los Angeles jazz club, the Baked Potato.

Menza’s management issued a statement confirming the news. “Nick collapsed during the third song into a set with his band OHM. Earliest reports indicate he suffered a massive heart attack and was pronounced dead upon arrival at hospital.”

The club posted “RIP Nick Menza” on its Facebook page in the early hours of Sunday. Dave Mustaine, co-founder of Megadeth, said on Twitter that he awoke at 4am to the news. “Tell me this isn’t true,” he wrote.

Marty Friedman, the former Megadeth guitarist, wrote on Facebook: “We all know the great and unique drummer that Nick Menza was, but he was also a trustworthy friend, a hilarious bandmate, as well as a very loving dad. I’m beyond sad, did not see this coming at all. RIP Brother.”

Menza’s biographer J Marshall Craig said “We ask for prayers for Nick’s family, his family, and especially his two sons and their mother, Teri.”

“He just spend nearly two weeks with the boys in the Pacific north-west and was absolutely glowing. He was scheduled to fly to my home in Cape Cod tomorrow so that we could finish the comic-book version of the book we wrote on his life, MenzaLife, both of which were slated for release late next month. This morning we are all too numb to think about anything but Nick’s family.”

Menza, son of a jazz musician, played with Megadeth on several of its most successful albums in the early 1990s, including Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia. He left the band when he had to have knee surgery during a tour for the 1997 album Cryptic Writings.

He had been playing regular sessions at the Baked Potato club with OHM, founded in 2002 by another Megadeth veteran, the guitarist Chris Poland.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/m … os-angeles

RIP.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

This is very sad.    He was the drummer of the definitive Megadeth lineup.   RIP.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

This sucks bad!  Rust in peace was on constant rotation when it come out, and I saw them live with Nick in 92. Such an awesome drummer. I remember the rust drum kit he had, with the frame and cymbals hanging from the top, way cool.

RIP Nick Menza.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Powerhouse of a drummer. I still love air drumming on Hangar 18 when it's on. Helped make some killer albums with Dave and co. My condolences to his loved ones.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Don't really know who he is. Hard to get more rock n roll than this though. RIP.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Pretty sad.

There was nearly a classic megadeth line up last year or so back but it fell through. Now it's an impossibility. Take note GNR.

That said the current megadeth line up is phenomenal.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

RIP

I saw the RIP lineup in 91. They were amazing. My first concert and it was surreal seeing these guys playing songs in front of me that I had in contant rotation on my stereo.

We're all getting old. Hell I'm 41. How did that happen? This past year has been rough for me. You know of my car wreck which really made me think about things and last week my back went out for four days.  My spring chicken days are over. Seeing all these people I grew up listening to/watching die really nails that point home.

edit: I just remembered when we did that all star rock band lineup tournament thing years ago, I chose Menza as my drummer. You guys voted me off in the first or second round. 17

As Gomer would say.....shame, shame shame....

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

How sad, and in front of a crowd. That will not be a concert anyone would forget. It's really cool of Dave Mustaine to try and throw some kind of benefit show for his kids.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Holy Wars is one of the most mindblowing songs ever recorded. Period. I wasn't much of a Megadeth fan before that but when Holy Wars came on Headbangers Ball....holy fuck.....I was hooked. Bought RIP and awhile later my dad's druggie friends were going to the Clash of the Titans show(AIC, Anthrax, Slayer, megadeth) at Arco Arena and he told them I was going with them. They took me.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Rip

Board footer