You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Obsession

mitchejw wrote:

Hell yea, I know what you're talking about....

I got into Gn'R for the first time in 1997-98. I was a freshman in high school and I must admit that high school was probably the most difficult phase of my life. I felt so many different emotions for the first time. I had questions that had no answers. I had anger that I didn't know I had. Girls didn't want to touch me with a ten foot pole, a lot of popular guys mercilessly bullied me.

THEN, I popped in my Mom's old cassette tape of Appetite. All the sudden Jungle made sense to me in a way it never made sense before. The anger and frustration of tracks 2 through 5 hit stride with me. The soft and sensitive songs like think about you and SCOM were something I could also get into.

At that time I had heard almost all of appetite, but I had never really digested it. UYI1 and 2 was a set of material that was fresh to me. You Could Be Mine sort of became an anthem for me and got me through to my senior year.

Being a Gn'R fan in 1997, 98, 99 was not a cool thing, especially in northern Wisconsin where popular culture is such that smoking a ton of weed, listening to a jam band play one song for 17 minutes and wearing the same cloths for days on end was considered cool. Old Gn'R spoke to me for more reasons than one. I was a skinny, white kid from a socially regressive mid-western state. Axl gave me a voice and a confidence to focus my angers and frustrations.

So for that, I will forever be thankful.

Board footer