You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: Everyone's a Libertarian, they just don't know it.

Tommie wrote:

I just posted this on Facebook, but I thought it would be interesting to get your thoughts on this one.

p5y2veZ.jpg

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I think you overestimate how informed 99% of people are. I had always assumed that everyone had a well read and thought out basis for their beliefs, and following them to their conclusion would show any logical inconsistency.

That's not the case and it took me 15 years to realize it. Most people treat politics like football and root for the same team their parents did. Asking them to explain why is like asking climate change advocates to explain what study sold them on the idea. You'll get some queer looks, hand waiving and maybe a link to an article they probably didn't read. But nothing you say or question is going to sway them.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Asking them to explain why is like asking climate change advocates to explain what study sold them on the idea. You'll get some queer looks, hand waiving and maybe a link to an article they probably didn't read. But nothing you say or question is going to sway them.

You shouldn't really need to overly explain scientific fact. It's not something which is open for interpretation.

Hence why it is impossible to sway certain individuals.

As far as the topic itself goes... No, I am definitely not a libertarian.

Sorry.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

I consider myself a Libertarian (or 'Liberal' as the closest equivalent here in Europe is typically called, the polar opposite from the 'Liberals' in the US as far as economic policy is concerned), but US Libertarians are too dogmatic for my tastes (and to be effective), a bit more pragmatism would suit them well. Same goes for conservatives, by the way. It's always important to remember that the end goal is not to prove the superiority of a given political philosophy, but to continuously increase the quality of life of your citizens. Once in a while that means you'll have to deviate from abstract theoretical ideals.

Specifically, it doesn't help if Libertarians "believe in generously helping those in need" if they don't correct for the fact that a good deal of the population is more selfish than them, and thus a correction via legislative means (aka a social security system) is an absolute must-have in a modern day society. The smallest feasible government possible is not the same as a small government.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:

By the way, I don't understand the title of this thread. How does that graphic support the idea that everyone's a Libertarian? I'm sure there's plenty of people that don't support the separation of church and state, or would like to ban all guns. How would they be libertarians?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:

How does that graphic support the idea that everyone's a Libertarian?

I agree....I can see that it seems to be saying there's both republican and democrat core values that count as libertarian but that's only if you can cherry pick out of the values in the middle, I wouldn't think it would be very common for someone to believe in everything in the two middle columns would it?

johndivney wrote:

I used to be a librarian. Loved that job. Great for meeting women..

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'd love to continue this discussion, but this isn't the thread for it. Perhaps we can split this off?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'd love to continue this discussion, but this isn't the thread for it. Perhaps we can split this off?

Yeah, might as well: http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=13891

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:

How does that graphic support the idea that everyone's a Libertarian?

I agree....I can see that it seems to be saying there's both republican and democrat core values that count as libertarian but that's only if you can cherry pick out of the values in the middle, I wouldn't think it would be very common for someone to believe in everything in the two middle columns would it?

I think as a political philosophy it has the benefit of at least being internally consistent with itself, to me that (combined with what you said above) is the message in that graphic.

Board footer