You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: HBO's True Detective

johndivney wrote:

Green paint..

Never forget.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 … e-season-3

If you missed the haunted musings of a certain handlebar-mustachioed homicide detective on HBO, you are not alone. On Wednesday, Matthew McConaughey confessed that he too misses his True Detective character and flat-circle prognosticator—so much so that he would consider reprising the role of ol’ Rust.

“I miss Rust Cohle, man,” McConaughey admitted on DirecTV’s Rich Eisen Show. “I miss watching him on Sunday nights.”

The sentiment is not only shared by first-season True Detective viewers, but by HBO, which dealt with disastrous reviews when the second season of the Nic Pizzolatto-created drama, starring Rachel McAdams, Vince Vaughn, and Colin Farrell, failed to live up to the first. In fact the feedback to the sophomore season was so troubling that HBO reportedly only agreed to grant the show a third season if Pizzolatto changed the way he runs the series. Pizzolatto and HBO are presumably looking for a season-three Hail Mary, and McConaughey hinted that he reached out to his former collaborator to discuss the possibility of returning, despite the show’s anthology format.

“It would have to be the right context, the right way,” McConaughey told Eisen. “That thing—when I read [the original script] I knew in 20 minutes if I can play this guy, Rustin Cohle, I’m in.”

And why is McConaughey so desperate to get back into the disturbed character, which earned him an Emmy nomination? Apparently exploring Rust brought him a lot of joy . . . strangely.

“I was a happy man when I made that for six months, because I was on my own island,” the Oscar winner said. “Luckily my wife put up with me.”

This past January, HBO president Michael Lombardo took the blame for pushing Pizzolatto, who wrote every episode of the series, to crank out the second season too quickly. “I set him up to deliver, in a very short time frame, something that became very challenging to deliver,” Lombardo said. That’s not what that show is. He had to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Find his muse. And so I think that’s what I learned from it. Don’t do that anymore.”

Take a look at McConaughey’s full comments about the potential Rust Cohle revival below, and decide whether it’s too early for a Big Hug Mug cheers.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I LOVE this show.

I also did not understand the hate for Season 2. I LOVED Season 2. McAdams & Farrell were Emmy-worthy. I would argue that Farrell (who's not a great actor), did the best work of his career on the show.

I didn't love Season 2, as much as Season 1... but I loved it.

I seriously ache for Season 3. But yeah... after the backlash, imo this is a 'Season of the Witch' moment. There's no way they can do a Season 3 of True Detective without the expectation from the audience of McCoughnehey and Harrelson returning. At this point, despite how much I loved Season 2, there's no denying -- the two of them ARE the show. You can't do Miami Vice without Crockett & Tubbs, and those two are that level.

Board footer