You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Set-List

James wrote:

I was a huge whiner about set lists in the CD era and huge portions of that era were lazy(too AFD heavy in 01-02) but I just don't see the problem now. They are touching base with every album in the discography and going deep in some places. Lazy? Those Vegas set lists would disagree.

There is no way for this band to please everyone. Its a small discography but incredibly strong. There are so many "must play" songs that it leaves little room for other things. It is shocking that Coma is a staple. Unheard of then, should be unheard of now, yet there it is. Estranged and NR the same night? DTJ making a comeback? Until 2016 these were nerd pipe dreams.

There are only minor improvements that can be made at this point....

rotating more deep cuts.....but this begs a question.....what do you remove? Pull Coma out of the set and perform Perfect Crime, Slither, and something else?

They are already alternating DC and Patience which shows that they have put thought into this. They could easily play both and ditch one of the deep cuts. Like already pointed out, they could have played it safe, toured a GH set, and only hardcores would've complained.

I'd love for Izzy to show up at some point and perform Dust N Bones although 14 Years would seem more likely. What could they remove for those being included?

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

I'm not complaining about the set-list...it's better than most would have hoped for...but everyone has little tweaks they'd like to see.  For me, it would be great to see The Seeker dropped in the encore and both Patience and Don't Cry performed with PC remaining the closer.  If I could change one thing, that'd be it. 
Then I'd rather see one of the CD tracks dropped in favor of rotating in another deep track like Think About You or Locomotive.  DTJ isn't one of my favorites...I'd be ok with seeing it rotated with UYI tracks like Pretty Tied Up, Bad Apples, Breakdown, or the Garden.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The beginning of the set is different than it was 2002-2014 IIRC, they're playing deeper cuts, and still including CD material.

It's a diverse setlist and one of the best shows in the music industry, not to mention the longest, which helps justify it's costs.

The only ones complaining are the same old miserable trolls and it's a shame a passerby would take that as the "GN'R community".

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Overall the setlists are strong.

Good mix of deep cuts for fans (coma, estranged, DTJ) , iconic mainstream stuff (KOHD, Jungle, SCOM, NR etc) and the bands 'newer' (I know now ancient)  material (CD, Better, TIL etc).

So generally it's a good mix.

The areas I think could use improvement are:

1. Using the same setlist two nights back to back in the same city is a bit poor. There's grounds for it when you've traveled to a new audience. But it wouldn't hurt when on the second night in the same town to bust out one of the alternate cuts like TWAT or something else. Not hard to do as they have spare songs rehearsed and it makes a world of difference to the repeat viewers in the local town.

2. The encore feels weak to me. Obviously it's a solid tradition to end with PC. However the re-opening with a ballad like 'don't cry', moving into an irrelevant cover like 'the seeker' just makes it feel to me like the show never quite re-gains the traction it had before the obligatory encore break. If we want "don't cry" late in the set for sentimental reasons as one of the songs written early in their history - then it would be better to move something faster to follow it. maybe even add a 4th song to the encore so the last couple can be more exciting.

3. "The Seeker" in general feels wasteful. It's not that it's bad. It's just average. There's a host of GNR songs not played, and even in covers there's a host of more interesting songs that would massively benefit from the GNR touch. Think of how KOHD and LALD are basically GNR songs now because of the stamp GNR put on them. To me "the seeker" does not have that feel. It doesn't suck - it's just there's the whole of TSI to play with, along with Sailing, Ac/DC covers, Zep covers slash likes to do, hendrix and god knows what else they could do there, let alone, play some of the other songs they keep in their back pocket like the rarely-unplayed stuff from UYI, CD etc.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'd rather hear another GNR song than The Seeker too, but there must be a reason it's a regular. I suppose Axl enjoys singing it and the band enjoys playing it. I won't lose any sleep over it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's about the pacing at the end to me.

Even if I was forced to use exactly the same songs I think this order would be better - small changes but would liven up the end IMO:

1. It's So Easy
2. Mr. Brownstone
3. Chinese Democracy
4. Welcome To The Jungle
5. The Seeker
6. Estranged
7. Live And Let Die
8. Rocket Queen
9. You Could Be Mine
10. Raw Power (with "You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory" Intro)
11. This I Love
12. Civil War
13. Coma
14. Godfather Theme
15. Sweet Child O' Mine
16. Better
17. Out Ta Get Me
18. Wish You Were Here (Richard Fortus and Slash)
19. November Rain (with "Layla" Intro)
20. Don't Cry
21. Nightrain
Encore:
22. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
23.  Double Talkin' Jive
24. Paradise City

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I'm not going to try to play setlist doctor about what flows better but personally, I have no desire to hear Knockin or LALD ever again. Your average concert go-er may feel differently but I've heard those songs a billion times since the 90s.

I love "The Seeker", personally. I downloaded it and listen to it on my runs everyday.

When they played it in Detroit, you could tell the whole band, especially Axl dug playing it. There was a giant shift in energy when they kicked it off.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
johndivney wrote:
otto wrote:

Also, remember that it's really rare for somebody to see more than 2 concerts in the same tour.

No it's not. Particularly if they play two shows in the same city.

+ loadsa people will have already seen the show on youtube before going to the gig, making it even more imperative for surprises from night to night.

How many have you seen on YouTube and how many have you attended on this tour?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I'm not going to try to play setlist doctor about what flows better but personally, I have no desire to hear Knockin or LALD ever again. Your average concert go-er may feel differently but I've heard those songs a billion times since the 90s.

I love "The Seeker", personally. I downloaded it and listen to it on my runs everyday.

When they played it in Detroit, you could tell the whole band, especially Axl dug playing it. There was a giant shift in energy when they kicked it off.

Yep, what "flows" better for one, probably differs for others. What's most important is what the band thinks is best. If that's The Seeker, so be it. Again, I could probably pick 15 songs I'd rather hear or think would fit better or be more well received. But my opinion means very little in the grand scheme of things. I'm not the one performing the song and my listening pleasure won't be ruined by its inclusion.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've always thought they should do away with covers...Kohd and lald are 90s hits so keep those (cuz the fans love them)

But other gnr  stuff could go in spots instead of the other covers...do "so fine" instead of "raw power" for instance...or maybe even do "believe in me" from Duff's first solo album

Board footer