You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Official band pic

monkeychow wrote:

So true Neemo.

I mean I hate fink playing the AFD songs but I thought he was fricking awesome when I saw NiN.

He was just in the wrong band for sure.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

I never cared why Axl used Gusn N`Roses name or whether it was moral or immoral, he formed this band after all, he named it, he `s the leader and a chief songwriter,  it was always his band especially, after Izzy ( second founding member and Axl`s main sogwriting partner ) left my main complaint is a lack of music and wasted opportunities, so much potential was squandered.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Axl's mistake was using a new band and calling it guns n roses...I've said it a million times...if he would've just been "Axl Rose" similar to Ozzy Osborne going solo after Sabbath then every thing turns out alot different IMHO

That's for sure. Keeping the name is one thing, but crafting a Guns album as the lone gunman is another.

Neemo wrote:

IMO NIN, Marilyn Manson, White Zombie type shit is Finck's bag...not estranged and scom ... his dissonant chords and drop-d tricks just dont fit ... you gotta use the right tool for the job my freinds

Therein lies the problem. I love Robin and he would've worked out fine for an Axl band, as the Manson/Zombie sound is probably something he went for in the late 90's. Half the CD tracks are from that era, so it's probably more fair to coin it 'industrial rock', if anything.

The only problem was that the band was reduced (publicly) to a Guns nostalgia act. This was unfair to them and the audiences. Had they had an album out, it would've alleviated things a bit - at least, Axl would've had a leg to stand on when saying it's a matter of moving ahead.

Hindsight tells me a good way to deal with it would've been to retire the Guns name for a decade, done away with the new band / album and re-teamed with Slash and co. in 2006. But Axl's a decade out of step with the rest of the world.

That's what happens when you give a hair-trigger like that absolute power over a huge corporate asset. People will trip on each other to please him, regardless how costly and impractical his requests may be.

The good thing is that Axl certainly seems to be in a better place now. With Slash back on the stage, he's pretty much redeemed in the eyes of the mainstream. Hardcores wait for CD2, the rest of the world is curious for an album. It's been worse.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I never cared why Axl used Gusn N`Roses name or whether it was moral or immoral, he formed this band after all, he named it, he `s the leader and a chief songwriter,  it was always his band especially, after Izzy ( second founding member and Axl`s main sogwriting partner ) left .

I'm not talk about morals here...or who thought up the name...I'm talking public perception for, at the time in 1993, gnr was the world's biggest band...bar none...it is almost career suicide to carry on without the guitarist crowd favorite "sweetheart" that is/was Slash...go solo and the world looks a lot different

As far as chief songwriter, leader, formed the band BS ... that's all perspective ... fact is 5 down on their luck kids hooked up and caught lightning in a bottle ... then egos took over when hanger-ons saw a meal ticket within the hairline fractures of their drug and alcohol induced young millionaire states of mind

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

The good thing is that Axl certainly seems to be in a better place now. With Slash back on the stage, he's pretty much redeemed in the eyes of the mainstream. Hardcores wait for CD2, the rest of the world is curious for an album. It's been worse.

I wholeheartedly agree...but like Ragnar said...it's too bad that we had to miss out on arguably the prime career years of our favorite redheaded recluse in the process in order to arrive at 2016

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I'm just waiting for Paul Tobias to get his due credit. Any day now folks! 14

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I never cared why Axl used Gusn N`Roses name or whether it was moral or immoral, he formed this band after all, he named it, he `s the leader and a chief songwriter,  it was always his band especially, after Izzy ( second founding member and Axl`s main sogwriting partner ) left .

I'm not talk about morals here...or who thought up the name...I'm talking public perception for, at the time in 1993, gnr was the world's biggest band...bar none...it is almost career suicide to carry on without the guitarist crowd favorite "sweetheart" that is/was Slash...go solo and the world looks a lot different

As far as chief songwriter, leader, formed the band BS ... that's all perspective ... fact is 5 down on their luck kids hooked up and caught lightning in a bottle ... then egos took over when hanger-ons saw a meal ticket within the hairline fractures of their drug and alcohol induced young millionaire states of mind

It`s not perspective, it`s true. Like most of you like to say those are cold hard undisputable facts. lineups change, it happens, some lineups are more popular and successful than others besides, most bands are dominated by one or two members and in most cases vocalist in the band assumes leadership duties especially, if he is a founding member as well.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Each of the original 5 had critical I put to the songs...and Matt stepped up bigtime when Adler got kicked

Just cuz the singer is highest in the mix doesn't mean he is the chief song writer...it's pretty clear that Izzy was a huge catalyst for most of their hits....Slash has a definitive lead sound, Duff's chemistry with both as well as the drummers is instrumental on knowing what to play and when and how...and Axl's input on lyrics, arrangement and delivery is also huge

Steven brings a loose swing on drums or Matt a heavier booming, more techical playing style (depending on your preference)

CD pretty much proves that one man does not make a band and u can't just piece together a bunch of isolated parts

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

It`s not perspective, it`s true. Like most of you like to say those are cold hard undisputable facts. lineups change, it happens, some lineups are more popular and successful than others besides, most bands are dominated by one or two members and in most cases vocalist in the band assumes leadership duties especially, if he is a founding member as well.

That's true. Nearly all bands never stay the same. Really, the fan bases make up their own rules of who they consider the band. It doesn't mean anything. Pink Floyd had three camps, Syd, Roger and David. That's not even mentioning Fleetwood Mac! BTW, some fans only consider Peter Green the real Fleetwood Mac. Finck wasn't right for Monkey and Neemos favorite version of GNR, I thought he was a great fit for that line up. The Ron/DJ line up was not for me, though... The real CD line up was a killer band and crucial to GNR history.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

What is the real cd lineup tho?

By the time cd came out Richard, Ron and Frank had toured with the band as well

Anyway why/when did u become a gnr fan? Presumably CD wasn't your catalyst to get involved with being a fan of the band.

I like DJ &  Ron ... felt they were more true to the original gnr sound than bucket and robin

Board footer