You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Official band pic

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

What is the real cd lineup tho?

By the time cd came out Richard, Ron and Frank had toured with the band as well

Anyway why/when did u become a gnr fan? Presumably CD wasn't your catalyst to get involved with being a fan of the band.

I like DJ &  Ron ... felt they were more true to the original gnr sound than bucket and robin

The... Lineup that wrote and recorded the majority of CD? The official 02 line up.

I became a fan in 1987. I don't know why you want to know why... The music struck me, it was darker, more punk driven rock. I liked it?

Ron and DJ are poison, motley crue, sixx am, guitar wankery generic cock rock, that I hated back in 87.. But I'm not going to try and argue the line up wasn't GNR or should have been an Axl solo group.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Lol I like poison, motley crue, warrant etc etc...no accounting for taste in guess lmao

Anyway no offense meant ID just trying to place ur general age is all...u have been a fan longer than me...I came on board in '88 w/ Patience and SCOM...hell it may have even been summer of 1990 when the days of thunder kohd and nobody's ch8ld civil war came out that became a fan...was a long time ago...memory is hazy...I do remember getting lies and afd on the same day and buying UYI 1 and 2 on cassette the day before they were officially released

Look I don't fault anyone for liking or preferring a particular Era of gnr...my favorite era is 87-93...for obvious reasons, and when I think of gnr I look back to SCOM, Jungle, patience and PC

I was 100% on board with a new gnr...seen them 6 times total between 2002 & 2011...I preferred the 2 shows w DJ the most tbh

But my favorite lineup is 92-93 ... Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby, Dizzy and Matt...which I'm sure some people may look at me funny for that as well...since it's not a popular choice I'm sure

misterID

misterID wrote:

Poison?? Say it aint so, neemo!  16

Really, I do look at it as a Fleetwood Mac situation, there are so many diverse line ups, and their output is so different, it's going to bring in a lot of different opinions and feelings. The 02 line up was like a dream band for me, I totally bought into it and supported Axl, back when there were wars about it. Back when your fan credentials were always called into question, no offense taken, and it was more of a flashback on my end. I appreciated that line up didn't copy the old line up, they put their own spin on the music, which showed me they were forging ahead with a different sound. It was kind of crushing when DJ came on board and they drastically changed the sound and replicated the old line up to a T. The soul was gone, it was like they just gave up forghing ahead... So I'm glad Slash is back, who ironically enough, is putting HIS own spin on the new songs, which I appreciate.

I love pretty much all GNR line ups, save for the Ron/DJ era.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

C'mon.....who doesn't like some unskinny bop once in a while 16

As far as poison and warrant ... I don't seek it out ... but I gladly sing along when it comes on the radio

I'm more guitar driven tho...to hear robin drastically change some songs, especially patience, really rubbed me the wrong way

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

A lineup with out Slash isn't really a legit lineup in the eyes of the masses and based on ticket sales. So in my eyes there are only 3 legit lineups:

AFD
UYI

all the shit from 1997-2015 is the bullshit only hardcores care about.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

A lineup with out Slash isn't really a legit lineup in the eyes of the masses and based on ticket sales. So in my eyes there are only 3 legit lineups:

AFD
UYI

Do the casuals count more than hardcore's, though? The ones who sit on their hands during Coma?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

AFD
UYI

Do the casuals count more than hardcore's, though? The ones who sit on their hands during Coma?

Yes they do. If this was hardcore tour they would be playing clubs.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

AFD
UYI

Yes they do. If this was hardcore tour they would be playing clubs.

That's a sad commentary on music in general, but it is the way of the world. Forget Coma, give us Jungle for the billionth time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Whole CD saga was fucked when Ezrin told Axl he had only 3 good songs. he is as much responsible for a clusterfuck that followed as is Axl himself or label.

Yeah that was the first domino to fall and it had huge ramifications for the project. Iovine went into panic mode and of course RTB royally clusterfucked what would've been a great album. It had not yet been tinkered to death at that point.

Finck is a bad choice of guitarist for gnr style of music...he is a product of late 90s industrial rock and not, never has been, and never will be a late 80s guitar god hard rock style guitarist...which is what gnr needs

I don't think he was a bad choice as he did fit in with that unique lineup but the problem was not letting Bucket be the main focus. Finck should've been in the Tobias/Fortus role.

I mean I hate fink playing the AFD songs but I thought he was fricking awesome when I saw NiN.

I wasn't too thrilled with his "interpretations" of the classic songs either but my main focus during the saga was CD.....and he had no problems with that.

The only problem was that the band was reduced (publicly) to a Guns nostalgia act. This was unfair to them and the audiences. Had they had an album out, it would've alleviated things a bit - at least, Axl would've had a leg to stand on when saying it's a matter of moving ahead.

Yeah this is what doomed the 2001-02 era which recorded the bulk of Chinese.......AFD rehash. YOu're right...it was unfair as these guys truly thought they were moving forward in a new era.

Any time I watch Rio 2001 I think of what could've been. That lineup was ready to kick the world's ass.....not go back in time.

it's too bad that we had to miss out on arguably the prime career years

Yeah that is the travesty of it all. As much as I liked the 2001-02 band, just about everything after it was a waste of his time. He was just in a holding pattern waiting to land at reunion airport. Its why we never had a shot at getting CD II in that 09-14 period.

What is the real cd lineup tho?

2000-01. Even Fortus said in his interview last year that they had recorded 90% of the material before he walked in the door. Every lineup change after that was just attempts to market GNR to a more casual crowd. The road to China had been closed and the road to nostalgia act was being traveled until Axl was ready for the chain smoking, top hat wearing cows to come home.

I was 100% on board with a new gnr.

He had me hook, line, and sinker with the title track. Wasn't blown away by OMG but the title track made me realize he could pull it off. Once the lineups started rotating and being watered down, I washed my hands of it. Ashba was the straw that broke the camel's back. When you've reached the point you're hiring Slash wannabes for touring purposes, just bring back the real thing. Sad it took six years.

Smoking Guns wrote:

AFD
UYI

Technically the 2001 lineup should be included in that list but I see why you left them out....they didn't release CD and they didn't do a proper tour. That lineup was high profile that year and had a major buzz. Media outlets were creaming over the new tracks. The world was also expecting the album. All the horse shit and bait and switch hadn't started yet. They don't deserve to be lumped in with later lineups.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Ron and DJ are poison, motley crue, sixx am, guitar wankery generic cock rock, that I hated back in 87..

I think Ron is getting unfairly lumped with DJ there.

DJ has that motley crue, sixx am style.

Funny thing though is for me - I also hated it in 1987 - I had no time for any band that wasn't GNR originally, but over the years I've grown to love Crue. DJ would have been a great Mick Mars replacement when Mick is eventually forced to retire playing from illness. Dj's style and sound and dress sense re kind of heavily crue derivative. As a slash replacement he didn't quite fit in but in motley I think it would have.

But Ron isn't that type of player. Ron is a much better player than he had a chance to show in GNR. When he came in he was allocated bucket's parts and the songs were already divided up and everything and so he seemed like a bucket-emulation as that was what he was hired to do, however it would have been interesting to see his take if he had joined before bucket.

As for the "GNR is Axl's Band" thing....you have to wonder...would Axl and Izzy have made it if Slash had never joined? Izzy wrote a lot of songs, and no one disputes Axl is one of the top front men of all time, but they would have needed someone else with some serious guitar firepower early on...the importance of those guitar parts and solos in winning fans in the 1980s is massive.

Board footer