You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Stay of Execution Album Cover

esoterica wrote:

I designed an album cover and full booklet for "Stay of Execution" based off that trademark from a couple of years back.

I was inspired by the clean look of the "Use Your Illusion" booklet but wanted to marry it with the rawness of the Appetite era and the fine art imagery of the Chinese Democracy era.

I took the publicized song titles and little information about the unreleased songs, filled in the lyrics from CD songs, and then just used my imagination, creativity, and design background to come up with the full booklet.

What do you guys think?

If GNR were to release a new album, what musical direction would you like to see them explore?

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Haha nicely done! Fits the style of the proper Chinese booklet and uses the classic typeface.

I have an image of a hotel 'stay' as well with the title's fun wordplay. Stay of execution = not being executed and also stay of execution = 'my time here was an execution'. Who's to say if that wordplay was intended.

Was always hoping to hear Oh My God and more songs like Sorry, Riad, Scraped.
Can't really say I wouldn't want some Slash blues rock n' roll now, too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I always wished they used this for the cover of CD.

doh2_11.jpg

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Awesome work. Incredible. You obviously put a lot of effort into it. Had Stay of Execution actually been CDII and had been released and this was its cover/booklet, you would have heard zero complaints from me.

Actual cover is brilliant.....the AFD robot making his return. They should seriously consider something like that down the road...maybe not as an album cover but at least a shirt or on a single.

In the booklet my favorites are Soul Monster, The General, Atlas Shrugged, and Seven.

If GNR were to release a new album, what musical direction would you like to see them explore?

While I was not blown away by the finished album, some of the 'demos' were incredible and Axl said CD II would be similar to CD so I assume it will be a mixture of styles. Personally, I would like to hear more tracks like Riad and the title track. Ballads ok of course but I hope he's right that the "second half of Chinese" is much darker.

Before anyone jumps in and complains he shouldn't have posted it, false advertising, its not real, etc. I asked him to post it here.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It's great. You obviously put a good amount of time into it, nicely done. Skilled.

As for a direction of a potential new album, I'd like to see it a raw rock edge, like Contraband but pushed a bit more by Axl for some epic 8-9 minute songs with 2 solos per song & a killer hook/chorus.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I was always interested in those short song titles like Zodiac, Seven, and Thyme.

The intro to The General definitely makes me excited for Marco Beltrami's contributions as well.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

That's incredible. You are really talented and creative!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Very nice! I'd buy it.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
misterID wrote:

I always wished they used this for the cover of CD.

https://sealionseelinecline.files.wordp … oh2_11.jpg

First, that's terrible.

Second, I don't think you understand the title Chinese Democracy.

As far as the fan art... too much free time on your hands.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Can you explain the title Chinese Democracy to me please?

I always thought it was about the direction of our country not China's.

Board footer