You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saboteur
 Rep: 4 

Re: Richard Fortus Talks To GnrDaily.com

Saboteur wrote:

Big Pat. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Answer what you
feel comfortable doing. I understand the GN'R situation.

Richard Fortus. No problem

BigPat.- I grew up not too far from St. Louis. Most of my early concert
memories were going to Kiel Auditorium or the Opera House and the old
Checkerdome. Do you have some memories of those places? Anything you
can share?

Richard Fortus - I have SOOOO many memories of Kiel and the Arena (Checkerdome). My father was in the wholesale end of musical instrument sales, so we used to get backstage to all the shows. I would go with guys from his company to see and meet bands like Kiss, Peter Frampton, ELO, Rush, Yes, Ted Nugent, UFO, The Who, The Stones, Aerosmith, man the list goes on and on. I got to sit under the stage one night when Yes came and they were performing in the round. Another night with Yes, they let me sit in and do soundcheck with them. Pretty major for a 12 year old, especially considering they were my favorite band at the time.

Big Pat - What led up to you performing the shows with X Japan?

Richard Fortus - I've known Yoshiki for years. I'd done sessions that he was producing and I'd done some work for some artists that were on his label. I went to Tokyo to play with one of his artists for the launch of his label. Then I ran in to him at his studio while i was working on a movie score. We spoke and he told me that he'd heard that Robin and I had played "Endless Rain" while GN'R was in Japan. A few weeks later he called and asked if i'd be interested in being a guest guitarist for the X Japan reunion shows.

Big Pat - You recently played together with the legendary Sami Yaffa from
Hanoi Rocks/The New York Dolls. Tell me a little bit more about that?

Richard Fortus - Sami and I have been trying to do something together for ages. A good friend of mine (Michael DeHoughton), was doing a fashion week party for his clothing line and put a band together to play with him. Frank and I have done a lot of shows with Michael and we also love his clothes, then he got Sami in to do the gig as well. Michael dresses most of the major rock stars today, so his parties are always a blast. Sami is an awesome bassist and i'm sure we'll be doing more stuff together.

Big Pat - Also hear you are doing some writing for a new Furs album. If true,
when will it be out?

Richard Fortus - I've been writing the new Furs record with Richard Butler (the singer). I think it's some of the best stuff we have written together. Don't know when it will be out. I will probably be doing shows with the Furs in June/July.

Big Pat - What's your most memorable moment to date as an artist?

Richard Fortus - There have been way too many amazing moments for me to pick one! I have been incredibly fortunate.

Big Pat - With all the collaborating you do with various artists, have you ever thought of recording a solo album?

Richard Fortus - I have no desire to do a solo record. I love composing for film. To me, that is the ultimate medium. As far as making records goes, i'd rather collaborate. I also don't believe that anyone would really care if i put out a solo record!

Big Pat - Will you be doing any touring this summer? If so,with who?

Richard Fortus - I don't really want to tour right now. I'm going to be doing some shows with the Furs and possibly some more shows with X Japan and also with a Danish band called the Storm. I played on their record and they are good friends. Other than that, i'd much rather be at home playing on different records and composing film/ads and video game scores, as well as writing with different artists.

Big Pat - Guitar Hero is a huge game right now. Do you have a guitar hero?

Richard Fortus - I don't really have a Guitar Hero. I think that Jeff Beck is probably my favorite living guitarist.

Big Pat - Stones or The Beatles?

Richard Fortus - Both are genius. However, I feel like I relate much more to the Stones!

Big Pat - Any new or up and coming bands that you think deserve a listen?

Richard Fortus - I've been listening to Warren Suicide, Tacks the Boy Disaster, the new Raconteurs record, Black Mountain, Sea Wolf.

Big Pat - The recording industry is changing, and most feel not for the better. What do
you feel are the biggest challenges in the industry today? And do you
see a light at the end of the tunnel?

Richard Fortus - I don't necessarily believe that it is a bad thing. The world of 'pop' music is dying. That's not such a bad thing, unless you are a pop artist that is used to making big $. The time of making crazy $ from music is just about over, unless you are already established and have a strong core fan base. Everything is becoming niche. The days of the major labels running everything and being the only game in town are over. It's a very exciting time in music. I think that new bands are going to be able to develop themselves and only the bands that are really good are the ones that will become known. Bands will not be force-fed to the public, we are now discovering bands via the internet, not through the hype of major labels.

Big Pat - You and Robin played X Japan's "Endless Rain" as part of your
guitar duet during some of GN'R's Japanese shows in July 2007. Why that
song? Who picked it?

Richard Fortus - No comment on this question.

Big Pat - We know Robin has signed on to do NIN tour this summer. You guys
seem to have amazing chemistry on stage. Are you looking forward to
playing with him in the future? And speaking of chemistry, how
important is it?

Big Pat - There's a lot of buzz right now regarding GN'R and the Dr. Pepper challenge. Do you think you might be drinking a free Dr Pepper soon?

Big Pat - Besides Frank, do you hang out with any other members of GN'R?

Richard Fortus - Frank and I don't get to hang out that much anymore since he lives in NJ and I live in LA most of the time now. Robin lives right up the street from me and we hang out pretty often. I also hang out with Tommy and Dizzy quite a bit. Axl lives out in Malibu, so i don't see him that often.

Big Pat - Thanks again man, I really appreciate your time!

Source: GnrDaily.com

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

prolly cuz it said GNR in the question....not alot in there that i care about quite frankly but its cool to see him answer fan questions 22

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Pure idiocy not to answer that simple question. The secrecy crap is getting old.

One thing to say to these CD era members.....

If you aren't willing to mention GNR, don't use the GNR name to promote all the other shit you do. The ONLY reason this guy(and others) gets interviews is because of his/their current status in GNR.

The avoidance of not only the elephant in the room, but also the small fish is completely absurd.

The only two people to show any class during this fiasco are BH and Finck. These other guys follow orders, but they milk the name for whatever money, attention, other projects, etc. they can get out of it.

Its pathetic.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

if they're not allowed to talk about gnr...then they shouldn't do interviews....period....

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Beautiful song :wtf:

I'M WALKING IN THE RAIN
yuku ate mo naku kizutsuita karada nurashi
karamitsuku koori no zawameki
koroshi tsuzukete samayou itsu made mo
UNTIL I CAN FORGET YOUR LOVE

nemuri wa mayaku tohou ni kureta
kokoro o shizuka ni tokasu
mai agaru ai o odorasete
furueru karada o kioku no bara ni tsutsumu
I KEEP MY LOVE FOR YOU TO MYSELF

* ENDLESS RAIN, FALL ON MY HEART kokoro no kizu ni
LET ME FORGET ALL OF THE HATE, ALL OF THE SADNESS

Days of joy, days of sadness slowly pass me by
As I try to hold you, you are vanishing before me
You're just an illusion...
When I'm awaken, my tears have dried in the sand of sleep
I'm a rose blooming in the desert

IT'S A DREAM, I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU
madoromi dakishimete

[* repeat]

I AWAKE FROM MY DREAM
I CAN'T FIND MY WAY WITHOUT YOU

[guitar solo]

THE DREAM IS OVER
koe ni naranai kotoba o kurikaeshite mo
takasugiru hai iro no kabe wasugi satta hi no
omoi o yume ni utsusu
UNTIL I CAN FORGET YOUR LOVE

[* repeat]

ENDLESS RAIN, LET ME STAY EVER MORE IN YOUR HEART
LET MY HEART TAKE IN YOUR TEARS, TAKE IN YOUR MEMORIES

* ENDLESS RAIN, FALL ON MY HEART kokoro no kizu ni
LET ME FORGET ALL OF THE HATE, ALL OF THE SADNESS

It's really true, they will promote saying from GNR but then they can't say shit about GNR.  I get it but I don't get it.   BBF from GNR, Dizzy from GNR, Richard from GNR and ask them a GNR question and it's no comment.   I mean look at that, how fucked up is that.   Personally, I think when they do interviews and shows, the interviewers and production people should refrain from using GNR when introducing them, just let them go out there as a solo artist and say that GNR is one the things they do on the side.    Cause it really seems that way more then them doing their solo stuff on the side, doesn't it?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I dont think the GNR name should even be mentioned at events these guys go to. Let it be a two way street. No GNR talk, no glory from being in GNR.

I'd like to see BBF, Fortus,etc. sell some tickets and get attention  without using GNR as their promotional tool.

I'm issuing a triple dog dare.

Its hysterical that Axl accused BH of doing the VERY thing these guys do every fucking day, and BH never did ANY of that shit.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Pure idiocy not to answer that simple question. The secrecy crap is getting old.

You got that right.

Trying to ignore the elephant in the room is so fucking stupid. All interviews are like that...the interviewer beats around the bush for god knows how long and everyone knows he wanna ask other questions.

"So, did you play any D chords while on tour with GNR?"

No comment

"Does Robin have a beard?"

No comment

Blah blah blah.

They are being interviewed by GNR fansites because they are IN GNR. If they can't talk about it then simply don't do the interview because it just comes off as the most retarded thing ever.

The secrecy crap is getting old.

Yeah it's fun for the first 5 years or so but in the end it just comes off as something people can make fun of GNR about. And retarded it is.

Board footer