You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: The Feud

war wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I agree. Slash wanted GNR back on top and if that meant falling on the sword and taking all the blame so Axl could feel like Slash as in the wrong and he was right so be it. Slash doesn't give a fuck about that. He did what it took to get GNR back to the top. Thing is Slash deserves the 50% more than Axl by far. The ONLY reason this shit is big is because of Slash. Really ironic when you think about it.

When you say "the only reason this shit is big is because of Slash" what do you mean?

If you're saying slash made GNR by himself....I think you're in the minority.

I am saying this tour with no Slash would be a small arena tour at best. Slash brought the crowd.

It would be bigger than myles and slash. Most people like both is the deal. They both need each other to pull this off.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
war wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

When you say "the only reason this shit is big is because of Slash" what do you mean?

If you're saying slash made GNR by himself....I think you're in the minority.

I am saying this tour with no Slash would be a small arena tour at best. Slash brought the crowd.

It would be bigger than myles and slash. Most people like both is the deal. They both need each other to pull this off.

Yes, they need both but Axl is making Double that of Slash.  Slash plus Myles wasn't called "GNR"... NuGNR at best was a nonsell out Arena act.  Slash comes back and they are playing stadiums.  Duff has little effect on crowd size.  Average US crowd with Axl and Nuguns was about 7-8,000 per show.  Not terrible.  With Slash back average crowd is what, 35-40,000?

Now you tell me why Axl is getting double....

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Long story short, together they`re making more money than they would separately. Good business decision.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
war wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes, they need both but Axl is making Double that of Slash.  Slash plus Myles wasn't called "GNR"... NuGNR at best was a nonsell out Arena act.  Slash comes back and they are playing stadiums.  Duff has little effect on crowd size.  Average US crowd with Axl and Nuguns was about 7-8,000 per show.  Not terrible.  With Slash back average crowd is what, 35-40,000?

Now you tell me why Axl is getting double....

I don't think axl should get double based on popularity but there are factors that we may not know about. Bottom line, it's Axl's band and 25 percent is a healthy paycheck. Do we know if slash and duff are net or gross earnings after the expenses?

johndivney wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Average US crowd with Axl and Nuguns was about 7-8,000 per show.  Not terrible...

You're being too kind.
It was fuckin terrible.

But yea the financial split does speak of the character of them. Fuckers.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's hard to judge the present. I'm not gonna say he's "never been happier". The truth always comes out a few years down the road when you can look back and judge the situation. Maybe Axl will come out and say "yeah, 2016 was so fucking good for us" maybe he won't.

But considering they had a war going on for decades and then patched things up on the phone, well, perhaps it wasn't all that complicated after all. Axl won, he got his way. Slash caved. Perhaps that's just as good.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I'm in the camp that the feud was never quite how it was made out. Sure there was tension there and they didn't speak for a long time but the outright hatred that was reported was imo off the mark.

I think Axl resented Slash, he resented him for leaving, he resented him for making Axl the fall guy, for always being perceive as the cool guy while Axl was the prima donna lunatic. I think he also resented the fact that somewhere deep down he knew for GNR to truly work he needed him, same applied for Slash of course, they conquered the world together but neither came close seperately.

After a while I think it became more about pride than anything else. Not hate as much as wanting to prove they could go it alone.

In the end the planets aligned and they bowed to the inevitable, everyone wanted to see them playing together not covering their own songs with DJ Ashba and Myles Kennedy. Common sense finally prevailed over 20 years of stubborn pride.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Why did n`t Axl step up and set the record straight ?. He did n`t take a day off to get his version of events out there, he let all those supposed lies slide in why was he surprised when fanbase took Slash`s side ?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've always got two impressions from Axl's media appearances and work:

1. That he's sincere and tells the truth.
2. That he's a deep thinker and has strong emotions.

I think therefore with some of those quotes, they're true, but they're what Axl believes to be the truth based on the hurt he might have been feeling at the time.

At one time I did a lot of work on cross-examination. And I came to learn there's rarely an objective truth of a situation. Often times people can tell conflicting stories and neither of them are lying.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I do have a hard time believing Axl just sat back and took all of Slash's shit if he actually believed he had a leg to stand on. Look at those videos of Axl in court, listen to the old rants. The guy is brilliant, if he wants his point across in any manner from calm and collected to insane, he can do it. That's why I'm not so sure what side to take in Axl saying Slash told lies about him intentionally. I don't think Slash is anywhere near as rosy as he portrayed himself in his book or anywhere else, but I don't think Axl would hold that inside for no reason and just take it up the ass for years in the media.

I really don't think either Slash or Axl are outright lying. There may be some hyperbole here or there and lots of stubbornness as is always the case, but it has to be just two people with drastically different opinions at very low points in their lives. When you have one guy who could OD at any moment and another guy who didn't give a shit to incite riots that could get your fans killed, it's easy to tell why these guys drove one another fucking nuts.

(ALSO: Does anyone have anything to expand on the quote about Slash popping out Axl's tape and wanting Axl to be in his band, but Axl didn't want to be in his band. I assume this relates to the IP of the name of the band, not physically in a band with Slash?)

Board footer