You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Football

mitchejw wrote:

As I sit here and watch tonight's episode of "flags and commercials" I ask myself: does anyone remember when football was good?

I've been asking myself why I watch NFL football anymore.

johndivney wrote:

Yes, with the rise in nationalism in the US + the poor performances & results, it was obvious Klinsmann was going to be sacked.
Given Trumps love of football it was only a matter of time. You can't be having an foreigner/immigrant in charge.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Inevitable really, bottom of qualifying isn't good enough. Would be a disaster for US football if they didn't qualify for Russia 2018. I expect a Hiddink/Van Gaal type replacement ie dutch has been.

Although Allradyce is available and he has a 100% win ratio as a national coach.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Lol..I think we are talking about 2 different sports here

I haven't been able to get into the NFL this year either

johndivney wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Inevitable really, bottom of qualifying isn't good enough. Would be a disaster for US football if they didn't qualify for Russia 2018. I expect a Hiddink/Van Gaal type replacement ie dutch has been.

Although Allradyce is available and he has a 100% win ratio as a national coach.

The Dutch do have history of settling America.. tho that's a different settling isn't it..

Yes to Allardyce - send Big Sam & Farage across the pond asap!

Sorry for hijacking thread btw. American football is a misnomer. First of all you lot don't use a ball, it's an egg. Secondly, it hardly ever gets kicked. Ffs how the fuck do you get the "foot" part?
Outrageous!
I actually like the sport. I much prefer it to rugby. But when you call a thread Football, well you're kinda asking for a smartarse like APE to come along and start talking about soccerball..

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
johndivney wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

The Dutch do have history of settling America.. tho that's a different settling isn't it..

Yes to Allardyce - send Big Sam & Farage across the pond asap!

Sorry for hijacking thread btw. American football is a misnomer. First of all you lot don't use a ball, it's an egg. Secondly, it hardly ever gets kicked. Ffs how the fuck do you get the "foot" part?
Outrageous!
I actually like the sport. I much prefer it to rugby. But when you call a thread Football, well you're kinda asking for a smartarse like APE to come along and start talking about soccerball..

Haha...I should've known...I sometimes forget the international appeals of GNR-Evo.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I do agree tho with your post. It's losing me. Football had a great run from the late 80s till about 2010.  Since then, it's just disappated. A combination of things, but I think the following are large culprits as to why:

Commercials
Amount of Replays
Over analysis of replays & super slow motion
Inconsistency of penaltys
Violent spearing hits & CTE effects
Off the field issues by these douches (hitting wifes, guns, sitting during NA)
Watering down of National Games & attempts to move them to nighttime (thurs night, Sun Night, Mon night) whereas almost all games used to be Sunday at 1pm or 4pm. (College football contributes to this as well. Used to be I could watch a random great college game (Mich-Ohio St, LSU-Tenn, ND v USC) on a Saturday afternoon.  Now they're all at 8pm.
Moving of games to cable TV (ESPN, NFL network, Big 10/SEC channel etc)

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I do agree tho with your post. It's losing me. Football had a great run from the late 80s till about 2010.  Since then, it's just disappated. A combination of things, but I think the following are large culprits as to why:

Commercials
Amount of Replays
Over analysis of replays & super slow motion
Inconsistency of penaltys
Violent spearing hits & CTE effects
Off the field issues by these douches (hitting wifes, guns, sitting during NA)
Watering down of National Games & attempts to move them to nighttime (thurs night, Sun Night, Mon night) whereas almost all games used to be Sunday at 1pm or 4pm. (College football contributes to this as well. Used to be I could watch a random great college game (Mich-Ohio St, LSU-Tenn, ND v USC) on a Saturday afternoon.  Now they're all at 8pm.
Moving of games to cable TV (ESPN, NFL network, Big 10/SEC channel etc)

yeah...I agree with a lot of those things.

Personally, I liked the Thursday night games selfishly...but I had not idea how the short weeks effected the quality of the games. From players being tired to not getting the practice necessary.

I find the announcers to be particularly boring....and I used to love most of them. I had a love/hate relationship with John Madden. The airwaves are saturated with football talk, analysis, highlights, fantasy advice...etc...

The thing I hate are all the damn commercials...I'm constantly watching car commercials. Kick off - COMMERCIAL - touchdown - commercials followed by a kick off and a commercial. A change of possession - COMMERICAL! End of Quarter COMMERCIAL! Halftime - COMMERCIAL.

It's such a business now it hardly resembles a game....and to see how much standing around goes on when you're actually a live game....it's stupid. It's almost getting to be like baseball but the standing around is contrived in NFL because they need time to do commercials.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I did mean to add in announcing & coverage. The announcers seem to talk incessantly thru the game, its frustrating. I used to like Collinsworth but I realized now he's just non-stop chatter. Like, stfu & let me watch. This isn't radio.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Years ago we did a thread on Greatest RB of All Time elimination thread.  It'd be interesting to look back & see where Frank Gore fits. I've never been a big fan (West Coast, don't know too much about him), but longevity he's been solid.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=225

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/frank … 52532.html

Also we had a QB thread, Brady has to be Top 2-3 now.

Board footer