You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

johndivney wrote:

Coulda seen that disjointed game coming tho, too many cooks.. still seems to be getting a warm enough reception by token of not being totally shit tho..??

I finally played a little of the last guardian today. Really enjoyed it but very similar to ico/sotc. Much more so than even sotc was to ico. & horrendous frame rate issues. Decent enough & maybe it'll get under my skin the deeper I get into the game & start to exhibit its own identity.

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Coulda seen that disjointed game coming tho, too many cooks.. still seems to be getting a warm enough reception by token of not being totally shit tho..??

...Because it's still a good game or at least theory should be. Unfortunately works out as being inferior to previous FF games, it tries to be Dragon Age/Witcher at other points and isn't very effective at it.

It's a mash of things that seem incomplete and contradictory to each other. I mentioned the story, we'll they took a bunch of cut scenes that were originally in this and put it into a feature length CGI film with Ned Stark, Cerseri and Jesse from Break Bad.... none of whom have anything to do with the game.

The story starts getting really confusing at points, because characters make references to things that never happen and it's never explicitly stated at other points what the current goal is? The motivation of multiple characters is never mentioned and it's only ever vaguely referenced what the party that accompany the main character's relationship to him actually is.

I made mention earlier of their being multiple trailers of sections of the game and cut scenes that got cut for some reason. There's even multiple demos of things that aren't in the game.

johndivney wrote:

I played one of the demo's & enjoyed it, but apparently it wasn't anything like the main game or was intended to be. I guess that sorta ties in with what you're saying.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I'm not much of a gamer these days but Super Mario Odyssey looks great for the upcoming Nintendo Switch.

johndivney wrote:

Disappointed in Switch pricing. Priced out of it on launch & foreseeable future. Maybe gonna pick up my mates wiiu when he jumps ship.
Not just the machine but the pro controller & paid online. Thought it could co-exist with my ps4 but no dice.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Got the Division at Christmas been playing it last few days. Really enjoying it, even if it's already a bit repetitive. Currently at lvl 10. Only done single player so far not teamed up with anybody and not ventures in to the dark zone yet. Does the story line take you in to the d/z or can you just jump in at any point?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

U can just go in whenever....it's hard as hell tho especially solo

johndivney wrote:

Did Batman Arkham Night. Left like 10 side quests undone. Exhausting. Game was really great but far too much in it. Major problem was being funnelled away from main story by the abundant side missions so as to level up, XP/upgrades hidden behind mission tally - surely the point of Batman is that you have all this cool shit at your disposal from the get go. I never understand in games why you don't get the full arsenal until the end of the game when you need it least.
Still, the moments where you get to feel like Batman are so fuckin cool. Gliding over Gotham and landing at your destination, surprising henchmen and bad guys - that's where you should unlock XP, for playing in style.

I would probably have gotten more out of it if I were a hardcore comic book/batman guy as there's really a lot in the game.

Doing Mount & Blade: Warband, a medieval rpg at the minute. A friend of mine won't shut up about it & it was on sale so I took a punt. Really horrible graphics (was first released in 2007 I think?) & fairly rudimentary gameplay. Looks like a massive time sink. I dunno.. I can see the appeal, kinda Skyrim-y trekking across landscape doin shitty chores for people, without the high-fantasy. I just dunno if I have it in me to live thru another game like that.
Seriously, I need stuff that's between 3-15 hours. Unless it's a rockstar game..

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I picked up skyrim for ps4 for like $30 cdn ($20usd) ro my oldest kid has been playing that, also got the "new" tomb raider on sale...haven't opened it yet

My brother played mafia iii ...he said it was shit so he traded it back and got watchdogs 2 instead...he says that one is ok...I'm still working on witcher 3 and division...but I've been so busy I haven't been online much lately

My group has been talking about gta online again so we may go for another round of the grind as JD calls it lol

I'm seriously considering a ps4 pro if I get a decent tax return

johndivney wrote:

Mount & Blade: Warband has taken over my life.

Best game ever.

Just gone 5 past midnight on a Friday evening & I'm in full swing of my campaign to ethnically cleanse the map of the Vaegirs. They only have 3 castles left. Ragnar, the king of the Nords & I stopped by to lay siege to Yruma castle on our way back from sacking the city of Khudan, just because we could (& for some political & strategic purposes, but mainly to rid the map of the Vaegirs as quickly as possible).
I feel no shame.
I am in full Cersei Lannister mode. I am going to be Queen of Caladria..

Ok, maybe a little shame.. but still this game is absolutely amazing.
There's even a trophy named Holy Diver after the Dio album (best album ever btw).

Board footer