You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

He's a hack who thinks he's CEO of a corporation.  Time to sit him down and have him goto school.  This is silly.

childrens-school-desk-x1sdaflk.jpg

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Randall Flagg - You're totally misled. Reince Prebus throws out his "300,000 travelers from foreign countries came in and we detained 200" stats is just silly. First off, I bet alot of those are Americans crossing the Mexico & Canadian border.  Second, notice how he uses the term "travelers" not "foreigners"  So vacationers visiting Aruba & Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Carribean, are included in those numbers. Next, let's look at general international travel, Australia, Japan, Europe, etc... It's dwindling down.  Of the 300,000 and we only detained 200, it's really alot lower numbers than that. Could be close to 3,000 from those 7 countries. Their original intent was to deport them. This is known.

Secondly, he's asked the Department of Homeland Security recommended not putting people with green cards on the list, why did they ignore their suggestion and put them on anyway and he says verbatim "They're not on the list going forward"  They reversed course, 180. Then changes the subject saying let's look at this list Obama created.

Lastly, US Customs officials it's now said weren't informed of the specifics on the new policies, it was a Friday news dump. Nobody knew what was going on, they were just guessing.

Let's remember, Trump isn't going to be graded on "Did he stick to his campaign promises", rather "Did he Make America Great".  Doing what he said he'd do will be irrelevant in the annals of time.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Orlando, Boston San Bernadino, Chattanooga, Fort Hood, etc.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/i-want- … ie-on-air/

The Ft. Hood shooter, she said, Nadal Hassan, was born in Arlington, Virginia. The San Bernardino shooter was born in Illinois. Omar Mateen, the shooter in Orlando’s Pulse nightclub massacre was born in New York.

She makes a good point. I don't think any of those people, as a result of this executive order, would have been stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiOUF1aBf0w

CNN FTW

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I'll say this:  None of us, none of us, not 1, that posts on this board who lean left, expected it to start off this badly.

Forget the first 100 days, it can only go up from here, but the first 10 days are terrible. Purely awful. It's a joke.

They're having meetings behnd closed doors to redirect the ship.  Book it.

I agree. They will adjust

You keep saying that, but what evidence do you have? They've actually done the opposite and doubled down on their stupidity. He didn't adjust when he lied about crowd size, he sent his press secretary out to make it worse. And then tripled down on the lie with Conway saying the lies were "alternate facts." And when that blowback exploded, he personally called the head of the park service demanding they release better photos of the crowds. Where has he showed he will adjust? He just made Steve Bannon, architect of the first week's clusterfuck, part of the security counsel and demoted the heads who had actual experience.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

True. You gotta wonder where it'll go this week. Doubling/Tripling down is a good description, at some point he's gotta reel it in.  I think he really hates being wrong tho. I bet Spicer or Conway quits within a month or two, one of them can't keep up with this.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Orlando, Boston San Bernadino, Chattanooga, Fort Hood, etc.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/i-want- … ie-on-air/

The Ft. Hood shooter, she said, Nadal Hassan, was born in Arlington, Virginia. The San Bernardino shooter was born in Illinois. Omar Mateen, the shooter in Orlando’s Pulse nightclub massacre was born in New York.

She makes a good point. I don't think any of those people, as a result of this executive order, would have been stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiOUF1aBf0w

CNN FTW

The wife of San Bernadino is who brainwashed the dude and he was in the Middle East visiting. Perhaps they should have listed every country.

The Orlando shooter was a son of an Afghan political leader than ran for president. It is true you don't have to be born in the Middle East to be a terrorist, but odds are you visit there OR your parents are from there.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Trump hangs portrait of Andrew Jackson in Oval Office

President Trump hung a portrait of Andrew Jackson in the Oval Office on Tuesday, The New York Times reports, an apparent nod to the populist sentiments of the new administration.

Trump's rise has often been compared to the populist election of Jackson, including by some of the new president's own team.

Chief White House strategist Steve Bannon called Trump’s inauguration speech on Friday “Jacksonian,” saying it struck the populist and patriotic tones Jackson was known for.

Trump has also expressed admiration for the seventh president, as well, calling Jackson “an amazing figure in American history — very unique so many ways,” through a spokesperson last week.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat … val-office

I said Jackson was the last President worth his salt, and Trump appears to agree. wink

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Trump's order still stands. The only people impacted were the couple hundred on flight or at the airport being detained.

We have a President, and a Government, who doesn't even know what they're doing!!

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/m … story.html

A federal judge on Saturday night issued an emergency stay that temporarily allows people who landed in the United States with a valid visa to remain. But by then, Ghassan Assali's two brothers and their families had already been sent home.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
They're sending people home with valid Visa's.  It's absurd, you're defending a stance The Trump administration already 180'd on.

even after President Donald Trump eased some restrictions related to his immigration order Sunday.

Reince Priebus, Trump's chief of staff, said on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday that green card holders will be allowed into the country "moving forward."

An American visa doesn't guarantee entry, just applying for entry. Nor do I think the judge say they will be allowed in, just that the cases will be investigated before rejecting.

Having a U.S. visa allows you to travel to a port of entry, airport or land border crossing, and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector to enter the United States. While having a visa does not guarantee entry to the United States, it does indicate a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad has determined you are eligible to seek entry for that specific purpose. DHS/CBP inspectors, guardians of the nation’s borders, are responsible for admission of travelers to the United States, for a specified status and period of time. DHS also has responsibility for immigration matters while you are present in the United States.

Homeland Security will continue to obey the executive order:

WASHINGTON – The Department of Homeland Security will continue to enforce all of President Trump’s Executive Orders in a manner that ensures the safety and security of the American people. President Trump’s Executive Orders remain in place—prohibited travel will remain prohibited, and the U.S. government retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety. President Trump’s Executive Order affects a minor portion of international travelers, and is a first step towards reestablishing control over America's borders and national security.

Approximately 80 million international travelers enter the United States every year. Yesterday, less than one percent of the more than 325,000 international air travelers who arrive every day were inconvenienced while enhanced security measures were implemented. These individuals went through enhanced security screenings and are being processed for entry to the United States, consistent with our immigration laws and judicial orders.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

117 pages of posts since I last logged in? Holy shit. Forgive me since I wont be doing THAT much catching up. If there was a post in all that directed at me, apologies for not responding. If you happen to remember it, say it again or link me to it.

Tomorrow I'll read the last 10-15 pages and take all the Trump haters to school. 16 15

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Conflicts of interest, potential Constitutional violations and other complications related to his business...we're just getting started. No way Trump makes it four years.

Countries where Trump does business are not hit by new travel restrictions

The seven nations targeted for new visitation restrictions by President Trump on Friday all have something in common: They are places he does not appear to have any business interests.

The executive order he signed Friday bars all entry for the next 90 days by travelers from Syria, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya. Excluded from the lists are several majority-Muslim nations where the Trump Organization is active and which in some cases have also faced troublesome issues with terrorism.

According to the text of the order, the restriction applies to countries that have already been excluded from programs allowing people to travel to the United States without a visa because of concerns over terrorism. Hewing closely to nations already named as terrorism concerns elsewhere in law might have allowed the White House to avoid angering some more powerful and wealthy majority Muslim allies, such as Egypt.

But without divesting from his company, as bipartisan ethics ­experts had advised, Trump is now facing questions about whether he designed the new rules with his own business at least partly in mind.

“He needs to sell his businesses outside his family and place the assets in a blind trust, otherwise every decision he makes people are going to question if he’s making the decision in the interests of the American people or his own bottom line,” said Jordan Libowitz, the spokesman for Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a liberal watchdog group. The group has filed a lawsuit arguing that Trump is already in violation of a constitutional provision barring federal officials from accepting payments from foreign officials.

More:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … 3502f9c29c

Board footer