You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

Is there any indication with Merkel's push to take in refugees and the obvious desire to eventually admit Turkey, that Iraq and Syria wouldn't ultimately be considered too?  Anyone who said they didn't want Iraqis flooding London would be called racist, so what discussion would be allowed to stop their eventual admission?

AtariLegend wrote:

Merkel's been opposed to Turkey gaining full membership. She's been chancellor since 2005, Turkey applied for membership in 1987. They've wanted to do so since 1963 when the EU was the ECC.

It took till 1999 for the EU to accept the application, but most of the member states are against it. Cyprus for example would never accept it and neither would France.

Since they've completed 17/33 chapters required for EU membership. Almost all of the chapters were retro actively frozen. Their is no chance of Turkey joining any time this generation and that was all before the recent Turkey coup d'état attempt.

After the 33 chapters are finished btw, then theirs the vote!

...But you can believe Breibart all you want!

AtariLegend wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investiga … s_Act_2016

Look at what's included in that bill. That's absolutely too much power.

Yes, there was a petition completely dismissed by the government on that too; https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199

I can't believe this isn't a bigger story at the minute.

AtariLegend wrote:

Investigatory Powers Bill officially passes into law, giving Britain the 'most extreme spying powers ever seen'
The Bill received large opposition from petitions, but not within parliament

Britain’s intelligence services have officially been given the “most extreme spying powers ever seen”.

The Investigatory Powers Act has now been given royal assent, meaning that those surveillance rules will pass into law. The bill was officially unveiled a year ago and passed through the House of Lords earlier this month, but the act of being signed off means that those powers now go into effect.

It adds new surveillance powers including rules that force internet providers to keep complete records of every website that all of their customers visit. Those will be available to a wide range of agencies, which includes the Department for Work and Pensions as well as the Food Standards Agency.

As well as those internet connection records, surveillance agencies will also be given new powers to force companies to help hack into phones, and to collect more information than ever before on anyone in Britain.

The Home Office hailed the new law as a “landmark Bill which sets ot and governs the powers available to the police, security and intelligence agencies to gather and access electronic communications”. It said in a statement that it “brings together and updates existing powers while radically overhauling how they are authorised and overseen”.

Not all of the powers available in the Bill will be rolled out straight away. Some require testing so will not be ready for some time, the Home Office said.

But others replace the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014, also known as Dripa, which is set to expire on 31 December and so urgently needed updating with the new bill.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said: “This Government is clear that, at a time of heightened security threat, it is essential our law enforcement, security and intelligence services have the powers they need to keep people safe.

“The internet presents new opportunities for terrorists and we must ensure we have the capabilities to confront this challenge. But it is also right that these powers are subject to strict safeguards and rigorous oversight.

“The Investigatory Powers Act is world-leading legislation that provides unprecedented transparency and substantial privacy protection.”

The Bill has been opposed by tens of thousands of people in a petition. But that is thought to have begun too late and so is likely not to lead to any change in the law.

Civil liberties group Liberty said that the law served as a “beacon for despots everywhere”.

“It’s a sad day for our democracy as this Bill – with its eye-wateringly intrusive powers and flimsy safeguards – becomes law,” said Bella Sankey, the group’s policy director.

“The Home Secretary is right that the Government has a duty to protect us, but these measures won’t do the job. Instead they open every detail of every citizen’s online life up to state eyes, drowning the authorities in data and putting innocent people’s personal information at massive risk.

“This new law is world-leading – but only as a beacon for despots everywhere. The campaign for a surveillance law fit for the digital age continues, and must now move to the courts.”

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style … 45276.html

AtariLegend wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po … 88041.html

Oh no poor Tories.

Sure we're leaving the EU, but at least this is a message.

AtariLegend wrote:

AtariLegend wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/38843521

Fuck the DUP and Sinn Fein. Absolutely disgusting.

johndivney wrote:

How'd you get on with the assembly election Atari?
Fuck the DUP & Sinn Fein & fuck the sectarian fucks who vote for them.
Another fuckin vote I'm on the losing side of again yesterday! Jesus it was a bad fuckin day.
I had actually started out optimistic enough. I thought the increased turnout would reflect a change & some proper disgust/protest vote at the DUP Brexit/RHI scheme. I finished the day pretty dismayed and angry. Not so much at the corrupt careerist politicians, but at the bigotry they're able to inspire in people. The people in this place depress the shit out of me. Honest to Christ what a fuckin horrible place. People are the worst.

AtariLegend wrote:

People are terrible. I wouldn't vote for any of the locals and didn't. None of the parties represent my views and I couldn't give a fuck about religion.

I don't know, maybe there'll be some backlash over Brexit here when it actually happens.

AtariLegend wrote:

Looks like there'll be a second Scottish independence referendum after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s … s-39255181

Would not be surprised if the Scottish vote out.

Board footer