You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Best Athlethes of the history..the best moments...pure magic!!!

Jordan, Mohammed Alí, Michael Schumacher, Michael Phelps, Roger Federer and Kelly Slater

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Atrás Del Mostrador wrote:

Jordan, Mohammed Alí, Michael Schumacher, Michael Phelps, Roger Federer and Kelly Slater

[/embed]

Before I watch, is Bo Jackson in this video?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

There will NEVER be another Jordan. People try to say Kobe or Labron are on his level. Not even close.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

There will NEVER be another Jordan. People try to say Kobe or Labron are on his level. Not even close.

Agree. Jordan is the best basketball player ever.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Not just best basketball player, but best 4+ sports athete of our lifetime.  IMHO Ali was probably greater to live thru, because of the social and cultural impact.  And I say 4+ sport athlete because I'm not including sports like Phelps & Carl Lewis etc, where they too are great, but its not a fair comparison. Different grading points (performance in big games, playoffs, championships etc). I'd add in golf and others because Tiger Woods was getting close, but the last 5-8 years he fell apart. IMHO Tom Brady is probably the closest I've seen, although imho Jerry Rice is the best football player of all time. I chuckle at work because some younger bucks try to tell me or ask me they feel LeBron is close to or as good as Jordan, and I'm like  "You have no idea"...   They don't get it, they say because Lebron doesn't have 6 championships doesn't mean he's not as great, and I'm like "BECAUSE Jordan has 6 championships that is the reason he is that great".   They think his team was stacked but the reality is he played with Paxon, BJ Armstrong, Horace Grant, Luke Longley, Steve Kerr etc...  role players but nothing spectacular. And he played against some great teams, those Knicks matchups were epic, Barkleys Phoenix Suns team had an great year. 6 out of 6. Period.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Any conversation about the best athlete that doesn't have Bo Jackson isn't a real conversation. He was beyond amazing.

MJ is incredible.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah I agree. The thing with Bo Jackson was his injury, had he played even another 2-3 years (let alone 5) he would've really been surreal. Then again, I was sorta at the age where I was just getting into sports when he had his hip injury, so I really didn't see much of him live.  That said, he was incredible. I'll have to watch the 30 for 30 on him.

Barry Sanders too, retired young. 1 or 2 more years his stats would prove he was the player he really was. Emmitt Smith has the numbers, but the OLine he had was amazing, plus Irvin & Aikman.  Really can't compare the two, Barry Sanders just had nobody. Nobody.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Yeah I agree. The thing with Bo Jackson was his injury, had he played even another 2-3 years (let alone 5) he would've really been surreal. Then again, I was sorta at the age where I was just getting into sports when he had his hip injury, so I really didn't see much of him live.  That said, he was incredible. I'll have to watch the 30 for 30 on him.

Barry Sanders too, retired young. 1 or 2 more years his stats would prove he was the player he really was. Emmitt Smith has the numbers, but the OLine he had was amazing, plus Irvin & Aikman.  Really can't compare the two, Barry Sanders just had nobody. Nobody.

Barry was amazing.

Bo had hall of fame talent for the NFL and MLB. he was an AllStar and Pro Bowler. Dude did so many epic things. Fastest 40 in combine history. The epic throw from outfield to home plate. Ran Track in college. Running through Bozworth. Running away from Deon etc.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Sanders was bat shit crazy. I was not a huge fan and know little about him but when he quit I wondered if he was dealing with major drug addiction and just walked away. He was young enough to easily shatter the Walter/Emmitt rushing record and if traded to the right team(s), easily could've had a couple SB rings.

He never even tried to improve his situation....which is why I suspected drug use.

I don't remember how serious the potential deal ever was but I'll never forget in the 80s those rumors of Detroit and Frisco considering a Young-Sanders trade.

That would've had massive implications for the league and literally changed history. Young's career tanks in Detroit and Montana winds up playing a couple extra years due to no legitimate star waiting in the wings to take his place. IT also would've added an entirely different dimension to that unstoppable Niners offense. Defense has to spread out due to Montana, then he hands it off to Barry where he runs through a 30 yard hole.

Board footer