You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: The Wrestling thread

esoterica wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Taker really should have retired when they ended the streak a few years back, when Lesnar won imo.

I don't disagree because his opponents have been lackluster for a long time but it's a bummer note to go out on and businesses hate that sort of thing. Taker provides a Cher Farewell Tour value incentive to Wrestlemania.

In my book, I would've had him lose to guy like Bray instead of a part-timer like Brock but Brock was huge at the time and I bet Taker feels a macho bro connection to Lesnar.

Then I would've kept Sting on ice for a year and finally given the fans what they wanted Taker vs Sting instead of that shit-fest vs HHH. So we got boring Taker matches and Rollins injuring a legend.

AtariLegend wrote:

I agree about the Sting vs. Triple H fiasco. Bray though was just the wrong person, even by that point he was a mid carder who lost all the big matches and only really beat Bryan.

Since then Bray's been booked ridiculously bad like the other talent they push this era. It's too late to salvage him. He might get pops from the crowd, but he's never going to be a draw or a major star. Speaking of which, he's wrestling Orton tomorrow night after they had an absolutely horrendous match at the tail end of last year that people don't seem to remember.

Taker's match last year against Shane was a disgrace to logic. They had Undertaker selling for Shane McMahon in a long bad match who was doing MMA holds despite not being able to throw a realistic punch.

They have Shane this year working with A.J. Styles. Styles the company's best worker and probably the US's most talent wrestler just to inflate the ego of the McMahons.

This is not a pro wrestling company, it's a carny. That said the stage they have for tomorrow night looks spectacular. It's going to be a long walk for Taker, if they aren't giving him a buggy.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Bray though was just the wrong person, even by that point he was a mid carder who lost all the big matches and only really beat Bryan

I just think Bray was or is super over. I remember Rob Lowe I think tweeting about him. Or someone.

Like most things in WWE, he's completely wasted on them.

I'd like to see him trim up a little but I love his character.

AtariLegend wrote:

They have Shane this year working with A.J. Styles. Styles the company's best worker and probably the US's most talent wrestler just to inflate the ego of the McMahons.

I read HBK turned down a match against him which would've been cool.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Here's the part I don't get: if you know this is one of his (Undertaker) last matches why aren't you going with Cena-Undertaker instead?  Cena is stuck doing a pointless mixed tag match. 

And you know Reigns will get boooed out of the building when he wins.

AtariLegend wrote:

Cena's expected to propose to Nikki Bella after the match. That way they can get headlines in celebrity news sites like TMZ. Don't ask how this help the company though.

No idea why they didn't do Cena vs. Taker uears ago. It was held off on for too many years. It was rumored last year, before Cena got injured. Now though Taker's at the end of his career and in his 50's, too late... such a wasted opportunity. Taker vs. Reigns though is so that Reigns can get some sort of metaphorical rub (although even if this is a proper heel turn it's pointless).

Wagszilla wrote:

I read HBK turned down a match against him which would've been cool.

Michaels went out on top in the main event of Mania XXVI in one of the best WWE Mania main events off all time years ago. He's done. A.J./Michaels would be great... but Michaels is better not risking it. Besides he'd just be asked to come back every year.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Here's the part I don't get

Take what you're supposed and do the opposite and you've figured out WWE's modus operandi.

slashsfro wrote:

And you know Reigns will get boooed out of the building when he wins.

Taker is a company man. Reigns is their company man of the future.

Taker jobs for Roman. Brock beats Goldberg. Roman beats Brock next year.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

If Reigns turned full heel tomorrow (which is likely if he beats Taker), the entire landscape will change and he'll be the biggest babyface in the company. Modern wrestling fans are absolutely stupid and merely do the opposite of what they're fed no matter what in faux defiance. I could be the WWE champion tomorrow if you believe the Twitter retards.

AtariLegend wrote:

If Reigns turns full heel tomorrow, he'll be pushed even harder than ever before. Nothing would change.

They've picked the wrong guy and they've damaged almost anyone else they could have pushed instead.

As for fan reactions, there is some truth to that. On the other hand the show are pretty terrible. I don't think fans chant C.M. Punk to be cool, I think it's in own protest at what they're being presented with. I do think though the bar to please fans as contradictory as it sounds has got lower, anything above mediocre these days is enough to garner a "this is awesome" chant.

I'm not sure though whether the "you deserve" chants everyone on these shows get though are supposed to sarcasm or serious. This is what you get when you go full carny.

Oh and...

AtariLegend wrote:

Thanks Taker for the childhood memories.

If that wasn't a retirement walk, I don't know what is.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Thanks Taker for the childhood memories.

If that wasn't a retirement walk, I don't know what is.

How else could a guy like that end it?

RIP Taker...some absolutely great memories.

Board footer