You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

metallex78 wrote:

Saw four shows on this tour, the two big ones in Vegas, and two stadium shows back home in Sydney.

It was cathartic in many ways, seeing Axl, Slash and Duff together up there, I've wanted that since I missed them live the first time back in the day. And the shows overall were pretty damn great.

But I don't feel like I've gotten proper closure, because it's 20 years late, and while Slash is on fire, Axl has aged much more so, and can be very hit and miss.

Plus, like others have said, with no press or interviews, it seems as though they want us to ignore the feud that went on for so long as if it was nothing. No explanation. Just that they're back and that's it. And that just makes their feud seem so much more petty. Why couldn't they sort their differences 10 years ago, 15 years ago etc.

I know they owe us nothing. But it just feels a bit half assed in that respect.

And yeah, new music would be great too

One Year Later - Did you get what you wanted?

Yes 28%
No 72%
Total votes: 25
esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I think Pitman jumping ship and that whole drama was evident of the direction things were going.

The end of the year will be the actual rubicon but eh, things don't look good.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Too much silence. No talk, no music, no shows or appearances.

This is the biggest disappointment of the whole thing. It was the reunion of the century. No reunion can possibly top it. After the initial buzz it was treated like a standard CD tour and only the local areas where the show is happening garners any interest. Its flying underneath pop culture's radar.

It deserved a huge media blitz. Even if Axl stayed silent, he had Slash and Duff to handle big media appearances, Adler could run his mouth to every rock site to get more publicity, and Melissa could've pushed it for the young female audience.

They've been so quiet and for so long that if they ever do start giving interviews, the big questions wont even be asked. It will just be general questions about the tour or music.

If they were hoping to avoid any big questions....mission accomplished.

it seems as though they want us to ignore the feud that went on for so long as if it was nothing. No explanation. Just that they're back and that's it. And that just makes their feud seem so much more petty

They do want the world to ignore it. Its as if the UYI tour simply started again after a 23 year hiatus. The "lost years" will remain lost.

It WAS petty. They know it and the world knows it. The CD era never should've unfolded the way it did. Hell...when Axl had the idea for Slash to get involved in 2001(and Izzy too)....that was when to make the call. With Slash comes Duff and being open to Izzy joining, there's 4/5 right there(in 2001!!) and you've already got two albums to play around with(and a LOT of time).

When Slash showed up in vegas for HOB in 2000....make the call. In 2010 when he told his manager that he knew a reunion was inevitable but he wasn't ready yet....pull the plug on new GNR and make the call.

he knew CD II was never materializing. ITs why I basically bailed when he brought in Ashba. It was waving a white flag on the project. The moment he lost his desire for it was when it was reunion time or start a solo project(or film score, anything). He wasted too many years running in a Chinese circle.

Its why the Ac/DC thing was so shocking. In 2016 he was fronting the two biggest rock bands in the world and doing it at an insane level. It makes a fan wonder what the alternate history looks like. If he could do THAT in 2016, god only knows what he could've pulled off in 2006.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I look at it this way. The old Guns always liked playing shows more than they liked writing and recording music. It was a slow process of building that snowman overtime.

I'm willing to extend them a grace period but a year is starting to push it. Especially when Axl has a stockpile of completed songs, working songs, and sketches from over the years.

But the grace period is reasonable to some degree. A thawing feud, a relationship on the mend. And I can't think of a reunion album that's ever been good. It's better done right or not done at all. But rock music's relevance is at an all time low. Oh and albums, what's an album?

Where do we go now? Probably back to the mansion to munch some tacos before the apocalypse. Also Taco Bell.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

I wanted CD2.  I've been wanting CD2 for 9 years now. But I wasn't expecting it in 2017, not since we knew the reunion was happening. 

I got what I wanted from the reunion though.  I got to see Axl, Slash & Duff on stage together, something I thought I'd never get the chance to experience live.  And while it's not CD2, I got to hear Axl on 26 new songs thanks to Axl/DC - I have a badass bootleg of the Belgium show that I'm still rocking on the regular - and I got to see them live too \m/ \m/

2017 was a banner year, no doubt.  I'm feeling you guys though - my excitement for the reunion has fizzled out since the the show left my town.  But I think that what we're feeling is a crash after a monster high.

The reunion was, and still is, awesome.  GNR is back; Slash is back were he belongs, Axl has been redeemed, and Duff is just a cool ass dude. But we've blown our wad and now we're spent.

I've got high hopes though.  I'm still excited to hear CD2 or a reunion album, I'm excited for the possibility of more Axl/DC, and a new SMKC album.  I very optimistic that it's all coming... eventually.

The only downside is that we have to wait for this tour to end before we get any of that.  But it is what it is. That's the tour/album cycle right.  Big hype followed by a lull.  You have to give the fans time to miss you before moving on to the next thing.  That said, the lack of interviews may be planned and beneficial to the process. Lack of hype right now might mean they'll be able to move on to the next cycle all the more quickly.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To be honest:

* I'm disappointed the band waited this long for a reunion. Axl does not have the vocal or physical presence he did even 10 years earlier. He's still good but it very much isn't what it would have been if it were done earlier - and there seems to be no actual reason it wasn't done earlier.

* I'm disappointed in the lack of new material. Most older bands offset the effects of age by giving new material. Live they play the classic hits (always a little bit less well than last tour) but it's offset with something fresh to keep it fun. This is particularly annoying given it's well known there are vaulted songs from 1995, as well as the 1999-2006 era band, as well as the 2013 era band, and whatever Slash was doing for the band just before this tour.

* I'm disappointed in the sorum/adler situation. I know I'll get no agreement in these parts but these are the guys who drummed ln 5/6 GNR records. It's absurd that in a tour that is grossing hundreds of millions of dollars petty squabbles and money is given priority over the quality of the art.

* I'm disappointed at the way it was handled. I think the way the original shows were sold in the wrong order (Coachella/Vegas) was inconsiderate to fans. I think the 'surprise' show at April fools would have been wonderful if it had been done before the Coachella news. It was all just implemented badly. Then you add in very limited interviews, no reunion album etc. First few shows of the tour seemed like there would be a return to excitement - such as the surprise addition of Coma, and the occasional shock like Twat. But now even with Coma it's very much a fixed list - and any of the really interesting ideas like a cover of Slither seem to be back off the table.

it creates a feeling of cynicism. They waited until it was just too late - until they had literally no other choice - just to do the easiest thing and give us the minimum they need to do to retire large.

I'm not normally so negative in life. I hate how fandom on the net (eg movies/wrestling etc) becomes about critiquing what they do and saying it's not good. But in this instance....I'm just so fed up with sub-par product.

It's 2017 - where's the 30th Aniversary AFD remaster? Where's the DVDs you shot but never released? Where's the lost albums?

Why do we have to wait until it's not as good as it good have been and then do a poorly executed minimum with every project in this band?

I'll be excited when we hear new music, but right now, I just find it all depressing. The GNR legacy has become a shameful waste of talent and an exercise in individualistic greed. Disgusting from musicians who in my opinion were one of the greatest acts of all time.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To be honest:
it creates a feeling of cynicism. They waited until it was just too late - until they had literally no other choice - just to do the easiest thing and give us the minimum they need to do to retire large.
But in this instance....I'm just so fed up with sub-par product.

Why do we have to wait until it's not as good as it good have been and then do a poorly executed minimum with every project in this band?

The GNR legacy has become a shameful waste of talent and an exercise in individualistic greed. Disgusting from musicians who in my opinion were one of the greatest acts of all time.

Wow. Don't hold back monkey..

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm disappointed the band waited this long for a reunion. Axl does not have the vocal or physical presence he did even 10 years earlier. He's still good but it very much isn't what it would have been if it were done earlier - and there seems to be no actual reason it wasn't done earlier.

Axl died on his Chinese Democracy cross. That's the reason.

I'm surprised Adler played with them at all. Nice moment. I get the appeal of Sorum's drumming (and that Frank is underwhelming) but that guy can go pound sand.

And lastly, I love Guns music but individualistic greed is pretty much their thing. I mean it's like complaining about an adulteress for cheating on you...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I mean it's like complaining about an adulteress for cheating on you...

Perhaps.

But they did used to be artists somewhere along the line too.

Axl is widely considered to be amongst the greatest front men of all time. His lyrics were challenging, interesting, insightful, sometimes angry and inane but always a viewpoints into a fascinating perspective of the world. Slash is amongst the greatest guitarists of all time. His playing inspired thousands to learn the guitar.

I have zero problem with them earning some coin, but its sad to see so much talent wasted, and them acting so cynically towards their own art.

I just hope eventually they do something else. There's so much unfinished business and realistically we probably only have a handful of years left before their drugs pasts take one of them young.

It's just disappointing it came to this. Maybe they'll do something epic like release a new triple album soon and make good on these past decades but the odds wouldn't support it sadly.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Saw four shows on this tour, the two big ones in Vegas, and two stadium shows back home in Sydney.

It was cathartic in many ways, seeing Axl, Slash and Duff together up there, I've wanted that since I missed them live the first time back in the day. And the shows overall were pretty damn great.

But I don't feel like I've gotten proper closure, because it's 20 years late, and while Slash is on fire, Axl has aged much more so, and can be very hit and miss.

Plus, like others have said, with no press or interviews, it seems as though they want us to ignore the feud that went on for so long as if it was nothing. No explanation. Just that they're back and that's it. And that just makes their feud seem so much more petty. Why couldn't they sort their differences 10 years ago, 15 years ago etc.

I know they owe us nothing. But it just feels a bit half assed in that respect.

And yeah, new music would be great too

As much as I would love to hear the full story, I respect their silence on the subject.  You handle your business discretely, than you move on.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  Why dwell?  Why rehash old beefs publically? Why open then up to be scrutinized, and risk having them flair up again?  And as much as I would love to hear the full story, the last thing I would want to see is Axl & Slash on a couch on the View talking about their feelings.  Lol.

Board footer