You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Most Recent Movie You've Seen

esoterica wrote:

Ripley not more forcefully communicating the threat of the alien

Marines acting like dumb shits

Vasquez

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Blood On The Mountain. It's a netflix documentary about the coal businesses in West Virginia/Kentucky, and how corrupt they are.  Essentially, start digging, send employees in there, wait until it becomes dry or you have a mass casualty, file bankruptcy. Repeat.

While I recognize it does lean left, there's truth in it.  Senators are essentially ushered into office via these company execs, as they finance their campaigns. So the Senators pass laws and downplay investigations into workplace accidents. They lose a lawsuit for $50 million, file bankruptcy, and don't have to pay their employees their pensions. The former employees, just go on down the road, to the new mine that opens up. It also gets into Black Lung, both decades ago as well as today.

Towards the end, it gets into the newer method of mining, which is more just scraping the tops of the mountains off completely, and digging down with heavy duty equipment, using less manual labor anyway, but it just seems way dirtier & bad for the air.

It's worth watching, and is really well made. Not just the topic, but the production quality & amount of research. Something I'm a stickler for with docs.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Blood On The Mountain. It's a netflix documentary about the coal businesses in West Virginia/Kentucky, and how corrupt they are.  Essentially, start digging, send employees in there, wait until it becomes dry or you have a mass casualty, file bankruptcy. Repeat.

While I recognize it does lean left, there's truth in it.  Senators are essentially ushered into office via these company execs, as they finance their campaigns. So the Senators pass laws and downplay investigations into workplace accidents. They lose a lawsuit for $50 million, file bankruptcy, and don't have to pay their employees their pensions. The former employees, just go on down the road, to the new mine that opens up. It also gets into Black Lung, both decades ago as well as today.

Towards the end, it gets into the newer method of mining, which is more just scraping the tops of the mountains off completely, and digging down with heavy duty equipment, using less manual labor anyway, but it just seems way dirtier & bad for the air.

It's worth watching, and is really well made. Not just the topic, but the production quality & amount of research. Something I'm a stickler for with docs.

I just put that on my list last night. Gonna check it out this weekend. Seemed interesting enough. Netflix is pretty solid with their docs.

Just saw Guardians 2 last night. Really dug it. Maybe even better than the first.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Just saw Guardians 2 last night. Really dug it. Maybe even better than the first.

I heard that. It seems similar to Rogue One in that, the reviews seemed a bit less than stellar, but the fans all seem to like it alot.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

There's another good doc on NF about corrupt NYCPD from the 80s. I think it's called The 75. It's really good. It seems like a storyline Scorcese based The Departed on. One cop seemed kinda douchey, sortof a blowhard when in reality I think they were more just idiot Keystone Kapers. Kinda like Joe Pesci & Daniel Stern in Home Alone. 2 clumsy idiots.

johndivney wrote:

Alien Covenant

Enjoyed it. Some of it was a little undercooked, some of it was a little ropey, some of it was too predictable. But I laughed a lot & a lot of it was entertaining fare & I felt it serviced the mythology quite well.

Coulda done with being an 18 rating. Didn't quite push itself far enough.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Hardcore Henry - look it up on imdb, amazing film, like a full FPS film, with humour and a pretty good storyline. Refreshingly not Hollywood!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

King Arthur Legend of the Sword. It was not as bad as most critics are saying. It's pretty good but could have been much better. Didn't regret buying the ticket.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Just saw guardians 2...it was ok

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Logan.

Setting up for an x-men reboot?

Board footer