You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: Slash back in the studio

Ragnar wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think the older Axl gets the less expectations there are.

Once artists are in mid 50s, then 60s and 70s the expectation is always "well, they aren't young anymore but this doesn't entirely suck". Think of records by Aerosmith and Ac/Dc and similar acts. There's always the reviewers who shit pan it going on about how this isn't the 70s and 80s and the last 5 records sucked, then there's the reviewers who will call it a return to form.

Importantly, I just don't think anyone cares anymore, Axl's history is too big to fail now. Like all you have to do is look at the CD era. In 30 years or so he put out one record in a mostly different genre with a different band, and yet he's still welcomed with loving open arms back into the mainstream press for the reunion tour. No one cares -they just love old GNR. They could do a new record and it could suck - and the pundits will come out of the woodwork and be like "well, it's been shit since Izzy walked" or it could be genius and they'll write about how Axl has always been the last of the rock gods. But it doesn't really matter cos the pop crowed will ignore it and the rock crowed will go out and listen to it whatever happens. So like what is the real pressure these days? No one really expects a guy in his 50s is going to drop AFD2 now.

As for Axl/Dc - Axl was pretty happy to just record without writing for Sebastian on Angel Down. Although I get the impression Bon Scott is close to his heart so he'd be keen to do it well - I can imagine it might be easier to not have to write a full album of pre-prepared riffs.

For the record, Brian before his current hearing issues, was one of the top front men of all time. It's such an urban legend that Ac/Dc was only good with Bon, brian was damn well killer.

It`s not an urban legend, it`s true 14. AC/DC never pushed envelope but High Voltage, T.N.T. Let There Be Rock, Powerage ( their best ) and Highway To Hell are kickass Rock music, even Dirty Deeds ( weakest Bon era album ) is better than most of Brian era stuff.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I respect you feel that way!

You're not alone. Basically all of Australia where I live agrees, I got the impression Axl would agree too lol.

For me...I dunno...I have absolutely nothing against Bon...but I got into Ac/Dc listening to Brian...he has such a distinctive tone...and it's not like they didn't make any memorable tunes under him....thunderstruck et al....

Anwyays...I just feel Brian cops a lot of shit for not being Bon when basically he's amazing himself.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

AC/DC with Bon was a great Classic Rock Band, but Brian brought a level of power that the band never had before.  I love both singers... Bon had swag and attitude... Brian had vocal chops, raw power.... He sang his fucking ass off.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
prettytiedup @ GNR Truth wrote:

[font size="4"]MYLES KENNEDY Doesn't Know When SLASH Will Get Around To Making Another Solo Album[/font]

May 5, 2017 

Although photos recently surfaced of GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash in a studio, the legendary axeman may not be recording material for his next solo album, as previously speculated.

ALTER BRIDGE singer Myles Kennedy, who also fronts Slash's solo band, MYLES KENNEDY AND THE CONSPIRATORS, was a guest on the May 2 episode of the "Trunk Nation" show on SiriusXM channel Volume (106), and he was asked if there are any plans for SLASH FEATURING MYLES KENNEDY & THE CONSPIRATORS to work on the follow-up to 2014's "World On Fire" album. He responded: "Honestly, I don't know what's gonna happen. I'm kind of knee-deep right now with ALTER BRIDGE, and I've also been working on another solo record of my own."

He added: "Look, the GUNS thing is so awesome and successful, I just don't see how that's slowing down anytime soon."

Myles also talked about his decision to begin work on his second solo album, even thought the first one has yet to see the light of day.

"The first one, a lot of it was written a long time ago," he said. "Songs kind of have a shelf life with artists, so once I stepped back and listened to it, I was, like, 'You know, this just isn't where my head is right now.' And maybe one day it'll come out. I'm always writing; that's all I do. If I'm not touring, I'm writing… Other than playing live, I don't really have a life. I just wanna write and make music. So, yeah, those songs were written a long time ago, so I wanna try some new stuff."

After Slash and the CONSPIRATORS toured "World On Fire", rumors about the long-awaited GUNS N' ROSES reunion tour began to circulate and were confirmed in early 2016.

The current GUNS trek — which features Slash and fellow original members Axl Rose and Duff McKagan — launched in April 2016 and has since grossed more than $230 million, with more European and North American dates coming this spring and summer.

Despite the success of the tour, there has been no indication that GUNS intends to record a new album. The last GUNS studio album, "Chinese Democracy", came out in 2008 and featured only Axl Rose from the band's classic lineup. The last album on which Rose, McKagan and Slash appeared together was 1993's covers set "The Spaghetti Incident?"

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/myles- … rybZ8vb.99

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Too bad we never got to hear their cover of Rocket Man!

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

that myles interview gives me a little more hope for some new tunes.

it may be the tequila in me, but i feel as though the planets are aligning.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Is it wrong that I don't give a fuck at this point? If we ever get some new music, okay cool. If not, okay cool. The old music is legendary. Not like they can ever match the quality or staying power of the stuff they created in their 20's.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Slash is playing the best guitar of his career now that he's clean and sober, and he's not been short on great riffs judging by his Conspirators work. So, just gotta pair that with some pissed off Axl fuck off lyrics and vocals, and I'm sure they could release something pretty decent if they tried.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:

Slash is playing the best guitar of his career now that he's clean and sober, and he's not been short on great riffs judging by his Conspirators work. So, just gotta pair that with some pissed off Axl fuck off lyrics and vocals, and I'm sure they could release something pretty decent if they tried.

More than decent, I'd say. By The Sword stacks up with anything off the Illusions. The Chinese Democracy stuff they're playing on tour could've been mainstream hits with Slash's guitar stylings – the general public just took against them because of all the flapdoodle over the feud (not to say that they're not perfectly good songs in their own right). There are plenty of riffs off Slash's solo albums that – stripped of Myles Kennedy's anodyne lyrics and given a dose of Axl venom – could make for really interesting songs. Just not Anastasia – it's a great song, but those Bach-esque guitar scales are not GN'R at all.

Added to that, there are all the Chinese Democracy-era GN'R songs in the vault that Axl has yet to release; strip out the Finck and Bumblefoot guitar lines, lay down some Slash and Duff overdubs, and you've got yourself a song. There are all the Velvet Revolver demos that Slash and Duff put together for the never-released Corey Taylor reboot of VR. There are all the old VR songs from the early days of the band – including Izzy riffs – that Weiland rejected as "too GN'R". There's the fruit of all the jam sessions from the current band on tour – I can't believe that Fortus hasn't sat down with Slash and Duff and worked up a few riffs.

There is plenty of gas in the tank; this is an entirely different situation to AC/DC or Metallica cranking out a rote album every couple of years to keep the Rock N' Roll Train on the tracks. If and when GN'R release a new album, it'll be a statement of intent (I fully expect it to be simply titled "Guns N' Roses" for that reason).

Board footer