You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

jonesy wrote:

Shocking news, and seeing the videos of the show make it sadder. I've had Rusty Cage & Hunger Strike stuck in my head since the news broke.

I only saw SG once, supporting GnR @ Wembley UK in '93, just a casual fan I guess.

I see loads of social media have been focusing on Eddie Vedder now and articles about him as the 'last iconic grunge frontman standing', which is so obviously apparent, but its the last thing Vedder, or Pearl Jam would want, that focus.

One thing I'd be prepared to see would be the remaining SG guys coming out at a PJ show and doing one song with Vedder
on vocals. I think if there is any tribute it should be that, Cornell & PJ were close.

Shitty news.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Doctors are the new drug dealers.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Doctors are the new drug dealers.

Agreed. I don't think this is a case where he took a few too many Ativan. Of course, I may be wrong and while I don't want to judge, I have a feeling he was hooked. For how long I'm not sure, likely at least during the tour. Just couldn't do it anymore, needed some kind of buzz to get thru the shows. A high, or better yet, a low. To present himself and his art. He could have built up quite a tolerance and taking multiple (5-10) a night, maybe more to get thru the day.

He does seem spaced in the My Wave video. Also Ben, the bassist, seems remarkably going thru the motions. I don't know if he always played so standoffish looking, but almost seems he's in disagreement of Chris' 'people need to leave me alone' type comment before the song. That part I'm reading into of course.

I will say that we do have an over the top prescription pill problem in this country. It's terrible. Not just celebrities (how many have we lost the last 5-10 years??) but it trickles down into the opiod epidemic and pill mills ruining towns and lives. I'll admit, that's one thing the Obama admin fell short on. Cracking down on that industry. Money talks I'm sure.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Still so surprised overall. I always thought he was pretty levelheaded re; addiction & demons. In all honesty, I would've guessed Billy Corgan would do something so extreme before Cornell. He always seemed to have internal issues showing.

A guy I worked with years ago one time said "We all have skeletons in our closet".

jonesy

jonesy wrote:

Just watched this, Chris doing U2's One, solo, but with the lyrics from Metallica's One. Sounds like a goofy idea, till you hear him sing it.

RIP

HKH
 Rep: 0 

HKH wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Just watched this, Chris doing U2's One, solo, but with the lyrics from Metallica's One. Sounds like a goofy idea, till you hear him sing it.

RIP

I've never been a fan of Metallica.  I could never get passed Hetfield's trivialization of Layne's addiction to even give them a chance.  Say what you will, but I love Layne and understand addiction better than I like to admit. 

I've always been a fan of U2.  Cornell's idea here is pretty ingenious and it works.  Thanks for sharing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Looks like he may have taken too much anxiety medication that can impair thoughts, cause paranoia and suicidal tendencies.

jonesy

jonesy wrote:
HKH wrote:

I've never been a fan of Metallica.  I could never get passed Hetfield's trivialization of Layne's addiction to even give them a chance.  Say what you will, but I love Layne and understand addiction better than I like to admit. 

I've always been a fan of U2.  Cornell's idea here is pretty ingenious and it works.  Thanks for sharing.

No worries.

I've been a fan of Metaliica's music since I got into them in 89, loved their first 4 albums, then totally lost interest since 91. I tend to ignore their personalities as that leads to disappointment.

Respect due to you for sticking with that outlook though, its a fair viewpoint to have, if Hetfield did trivialize Layne's addiction that's a shitty thing to do and I'll agree with you 100%.

Peace.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Latest from Detroit News:

Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell’s wife asked his bodyguard to check on him in his hotel suite, after she had a telephone conversation in which her “groggy” husband kept repeating, “I am just tired,” according to a police report obtained by The Detroit News.

When the bodyguard, Martin Kirsten, went to Room 1136 in the MGM Grand Hotel just after midnight Thursday, the door was locked, the report said. Kirsten kicked the door open, only to find a second door leading to the bedroom suite also was latched — so, the report said, he kicked that door open, too.

The bodyguard found Cornell slumped on the bathroom floor, “with blood running from his mouth and a red exercise band around (his) neck,” said the report, filed by officers from the Detroit Police Gaming Unit who responded to the scene.

An autopsy by the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office determined Cornell, 52, committed suicide by hanging, although the singer’s family is disputing he killed himself.

In a statement issued by Cornell’s wife, Vicky, and attorney Kirk Pasich, the lawyer said the family needs the results of toxicology tests to be sure what happened to the alternative rocker.

“The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions,” Pasich said.

Vicky Cornell said she spoke to her husband before and after Wednesday night’s concert and noticed during the later conversation that he was slurring his words.

“He was different,” she said. “When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him.”

According to the police report, Kirsten was in Cornell’s room about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday to help him fix his computer. Afterward, Kirsten gave Cornell two Ativan pills, “which victim takes for anxiety,” the report said.

Vicky Cornell told police she spoke by phone with her husband about 11:35 p.m., according to the report.

At 12:15 a.m. Thursday, Vicky Cornell phoned Kirsten and asked him to check on her husband, “to see if he is allright because he did not sound like he is okay,” the report said. Vicky Cornell told the bodyguard her husband sounded “groggy and just kept saying, ‘I am just tired,’ and hung up the phone.”

Kirsten walked two doors down to Cornell’s suite, to which he had a key, but found the door latched, the report said. “(Kirsten) called security from hotel phone in hallway ... stating he needs to get into (the) room to check on (the) victim,” the report said.

“Security stated they can not let him into the room because he is not registered to that room,” the report said. “At this time (Kirsten) kicked in the door with his feet and ... went to the bedroom door and (the) latch had been engaged on this door also.

“(Kirsten) again called for security but could not gain access to (the) room,” the report said. “At this time (Kirsten) kicked in (the) bedroom door and found victim laying on the bathroom floor.”

MGM medic Dawn Jones arrived at the room at 12:56 a.m., the report said. “Jones untied the red exercise band from (the) victim’s neck and began CPR on (Cornell, who) was not breathing.”

EMS Unit 42 was at the scene by 1 a.m. An emergency medical technician also unsuccessfully performed CPR on Cornell, according to the report.

“At 1:30AM on 5/18/2017, victim was pronounced dead (by a doctor who came to the scene),” the report said.

Homicide detectives arrived at the room and began their investigation, while another officer phoned Cornell’s wife to break the news he’d been found dead.

“Victim’s wife ... stated victim is a recovered drug addict,” the report said.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

I haven't been logged in nor posted in quite some time, but just thought I'd pop by and "pay my respects" so to speak.

Gutted. Absolutely heartbroken. Unexpectedness of it all had me genuinely shocked. When it was confirmed to be suicide it came down like a ton of bricks. To see one of your childhood heroes - who has helped you get through various hardships in life with their inspiring words and music - succumb to their own set of demons is enormously depressing. I can't even begin to fathom what his poor family and close friends must be going through at the moment.

I consider Superunknown to be one of the greatest records ever made. Listened to it religiously while growing up.

I got fortunate enough to see Soundgarden live back in 2013. Now consider myself even more lucky than I felt back then. A legendary band with a frontman who still had the ability to have the audience leap into the palm of his hand simply through the use of a mesmerising and spellbinding voice.

His own work remains equally close to my heart. Maybe even more so because of how personal it could be. Was scheduled to see him perform solo acoustically in 2016 but got ill and couldn't go - something which I know feel tremendously guilty about. I used to believe I would get another chance in the future up until yesterday morning.

Chris Cornell was (and is) the stuff of music legend. A vocal demigod whom will never, ever be forgotten.

May he rest in peace.

Board footer