You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Did the 5/25 Announcement live up to the hype? POLL

BLS-Pride wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

You guys seem to only be talking about the video that wasn't as misleading...what about the other one from May 20. It said:

The Beginning...

1976 - Slash moves to LA
1982 - Axl moves to LA
1985 - Duff moves to LA

June 6 - 1985 Band played at troubadour

Occt 10 1985 - Paradise City

Aug 23 1986 - Performed at Whiskey A Go Go

Jul 21 1987 - Appetite for Destruction Album Released

Aug 1 1987 - First video Welcome to the Jungle - shot in hollywood

Aug 14 1987 - Dec 19 1988 - Appetite for Destruction Tour

June  3 1988 - First Numer One Single - Sweet Child Of Mine

Sep 7 1988 - Performed Welcome to the Jungle at the MTV VMAS

November 24 1988 - GNR lies Album released

Feburary 1989 - First Band in 15 years with 2 records in the top 5

September 11 1989 - January 22 1990 - Favourite Heavy Metal Hard Rock Album , Favourite Heavy Metal Hard Rock Artist, Best Heavy Metal Video

January 20 1991 - July 17 1993 - Use your illusion tour

June 19 1991 - You Could be Mine

August 31st 1991 - Sold Out Wembley Stadium

September 10 1991 - Don't Cry Single released in USA

September 17 1991 - Use Your Illusion Albums released

June 2 1992 - November Rain Single Released

September 7 1992 - November Rain wins video vanguard award

May 1993 - Best Selling Hard Rock Artist of the Year Best Group

Novermber 23 1993 - The Spaghetti  Incident Released

1996 - 1997 Slash and Duff Leave GNR

Jan 1 2001 - May 16 2014 - Chinese Democracy Tour, Chinese Democracy Album, Up Close and Personal Tour, Appetite for Democracy Tour

April 1 2016  Duff Axl Slash Reunite for Not in this Lifetime Tour

June 13 Tour Kicked off in detroit
# GNR

---

The whole video only gets to NITL in the last 13 seconds....and it is mostly about album and single releases...so they post that...as "The Beginning" - then the same day they post this stuff about how it's not over....

This is actually the one I saw. My immediate thought was maybe something was gonna happen but 2 seconds l thought probably more US dates. I don't expect anything of the band anymore. I just enjoy the music and have a little hope for the future. The days of expecting something or being pissed or bummed that something didn't turn out to be are over for me.

Did yesterday's announcement live up to the hype?

Hell no, that was a total bullshit move, don't waste a promo video for that shit 77%
Hell yes, I am so excited about the arena tour coming to the same markets with no new music 23%
Total votes: 13
James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Jan 1 2001 - May 16 2014 - Chinese Democracy Tour, Chinese Democracy Album, Up Close and Personal Tour, Appetite for Democracy Tour

I mean no disrespect to the GNR camp as some of them may still read the site but I got a laugh at that.

Being able to wrap up the entire CD saga with that brief mention really shows what minimal impact it had for the general public.

All the reasons to minimize it make sense of course as Slash and Duff are back but it was still interesting to see it shown in that light.

The whole video only gets to NITL in the last 13 seconds....and it is mostly about album and single releases...so they post that...as "The Beginning" - then the same day they post this stuff about how it's not over....

Its not over. Its just the beginning.....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

It's pretty much outlining the history of the band. Albums, videos, tours, awards, etc. And it started in LA (USA). Now they're returning, with more US dates.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Is there a link to that one?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/gunsnroses/vid … 589173069/

Obviously the mistake was mine to expect something, but I just feel the nature of outlining so much stuff about the history of the band and in particular details of album and single releases to that extent was somewhat misleading...when you consider how its sort of unusual to do a reunion with out a comeback single..and the history of GNR having works in the vault etc....

It's cool they're doing more shows...but I just feel the nature of that promo train made it seem like they had a more significant surprise up their sleeve than a 4th leg of a tour....and the 2nd time around this tour in the USA.....sort of a fuss about nothing when you consider they didn't do this much hype for the asia or europe dates etc.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't think it was a "mistake" to expect something but us hardcore fans knew more dates were coming. You don't do a 2nd leg of a US tour consisting of a handful of dates.

More IS supposed to be coming. If its only the beginning, how can announced tour dates be the end?

I'm wagering we do get a release this year but I believe its AFD deluxe or a 2 disc comp....NOT a new album.

faldor

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/gunsnroses/vid … 589173069/

Obviously the mistake was mine to expect something, but I just feel the nature of outlining so much stuff about the history of the band and in particular details of album and single releases to that extent was somewhat misleading...when you consider how its sort of unusual to do a reunion with out a comeback single..and the history of GNR having works in the vault etc....

It's cool they're doing more shows...but I just feel the nature of that promo train made it seem like they had a more significant surprise up their sleeve than a 4th leg of a tour....and the 2nd time around this tour in the USA.....sort of a fuss about nothing when you consider they didn't do this much hype for the asia or europe dates etc.

That right there could be a good reason. So far they're hitting areas for the first time on tour. The US dates are their second time around, so they probably will need to hype those up a bit more than the first time when the shows sold themselves.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

That right there could be a good reason. So far they're hitting areas for the first time on tour. The US dates are their second time around, so they probably will need to hype those up a bit more than the first time when the shows sold themselves.

I agree but it's clear this hype is off target.

Like why all the talk of single releases and album releases and the dates songs were written when....then going on about more to come...when your announcement is not about anything of the sort.

Not to mention this is a USA tour but these videos and the wait for them attracted the entire international fanbase...

Would have made more sense to hype up how good the first legs of the NITL tour were, how well received, ticket sales and sold out shows etc...

I have no problem with them hyping the tour and doing more shows but this was terribly executed.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I will agree with monkey and smokingguns

They context of the orig vid seems to lean more on a new single than a tour...so I voted that they shouldn't have wasted the promo on a tour announcement

faldor

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I agree but it's clear this hype is off target.

Like why all the talk of single releases and album releases and the dates songs were written when....then going on about more to come...when your announcement is not about anything of the sort.

Not to mention this is a USA tour but these videos and the wait for them attracted the entire international fanbase...

Would have made more sense to hype up how good the first legs of the NITL tour were, how well received, ticket sales and sold out shows etc...

I have no problem with them hyping the tour and doing more shows but this was terribly executed.

KLOS in LA said they'd have a big GNR announcement and then this video came out saying they were coming back to where it all began. So I expected LA shows myself.

Board footer