You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

misterID wrote:

She's just dealing with grief. I don't know why there would be fan backlash when they could easily not read it if it makes them feel uncomfortable. Seems pretty cathartic, I stopped reading it as it seems like an outlet for her. I have no issues with it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You ask why there would be fan backlash yet admit you stopped reading it? You answered your own question.

The content of these statements should be in a diary....or tell this stuff to her children. The world doesn't need to hear that type of thing. We know he was a great guy....a family man....didn't give a shit about groupies.....etc. We have his own words to tell us that in general.

I don't use FB so I can easily avoid it. I only see this stuff when it pops up in articles. I follow Cornell on twitter and if she takes over his twitter account with this stuff, I'll be unfollowing her.

I understand she's been traumatized. An unexpected death is mind blowing. I've dealt with it. A lot of us have. This isn't the way to handle it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Um... No, I stopped reading because she needed to vent, I didn't need to read it. Others might appreciate it. I'm not judging her for it. It's up to her how she wants to handle her grief.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I just went to his site but didn't see her letter posted. Holy cow, so incredibly sad to see all the shows that were announced. There was so much left for the guy to do.

James

James wrote:

I never knew this existed until 30 minutes ago. Chris and Ben hit up a few radio stations together for an acoustic performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORhymUGFyig

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I've been rediscovering Audioslave. Wow.

https://youtu.be/9ZDAYg196x8

James

James wrote:

Its criminal that Soundgarden never did Unplugged. I know they were in the album/tour cycle when Unplugged was all the rage but they should've made time for it. If not, could've at least jumped on the trend and released acoustic versions of some of their songs. It gives the songs an extra dynamic....the listener can pay even closer attention to what he's really saying.

Blow Up the Outside World takes on a whole new meaning now. So does Fell On Black Days.

That night in detroit certainly wasn't the first time he was suicidal.

Hell....that whole Superunknown album is so dark he was probably a cunt hair away from offing himself during its recording.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I've been rediscovering Audioslave. Wow.

https://youtu.be/9ZDAYg196x8

That's a jam man. One of my favorites. I actually went to go buy the first record cause my cd is pretty ragged and it was surprisingly sold out.

James

James wrote:

Even physical copies are selling out? Crazy.

Their albums have been on the Itunes charts since this happened.

There is some killer shit all over ebay/amazon but I'm waiting for this to stop trending before buying anything. I want a specific poster but its 400 bucks now. That is total insanity.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

You know, I just wanna follow up with some thoughts and say what a talented guy he was.  I never realized how good he was on the guitar, his solo & acoustic work is pretty sick. He was a great songwriter, tremendous singer, and while not a EVH or upper echelon level guitarist, he could write beautiful, melodic tunes, pioneering the grunge/Drop D tuning sound, all while having a certain darkness to his sound. For a rock "singer", I'm not sure there's many who may be better than him at the guitar anyway. Weird he seemed such a recluse & renegade early on but now you see interviews with him and he seemed pretty chill & open, willing to talk about things. Almost like he was comfortable in his own skin at last.

Whats really stranger to me now than ever, is the whole Kurt Cobain thing, and Nirvana's overnight success?  It's just not adding up to me, less so than before, and let me note I'm a huge Nirvana fan. One thing I always felt in hindsight, is that while "Nirvana" came out of nowhere, alternative music had been pushing thru for a while, REM, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Chili Peppers.  But also, on a heavier side even since Guns rock was looking to go more stripped down. The Black Crowes, Tesla etc, gone were the hair days and Aqua Net. Then in 90/91 Faith No More & another band I really can't think of right now The something, had a hit. Their music was grungy but they seemed a bit older, band members sorta looked like Kim Thayil, they were legit band, I think Cobain once even said he hoped he'd just have a minor hit like they did. There's also a soundtrack from 'Pump Up The Volume' which has Soundgaren, Concrete Blonde, The Pixies & more on it.

Anyway, then Jane's Addiction had a breakout hit of 'Been Caught Stealing'. IMHO that's where things started to change and build momentum. RHCP were more well known, and coming out with an album that summer. Metallica, no longer really 'underground' were also coming out with a monster album that summer. And Soundgarden had been building momentum for a long time, opening forr Guns & Metallica at different times I think, they appeared often in rock & guitar magazines early on. My brother had Ultramega & TOTD pretty early on by seeing their name in the mags. AIC was also a seemingly known up & comer. So, the entire year the labels are signing their bands & prepping for the releases, not to be outdone, and it's almost as if Geffen just hustled out their to keep up, and just signed this undrafted free agent out of a small school, because they needed a backup Quarterback or point guard, but didn't really expect much from him. So the fall hits, RHCP hit it with Suck My Kiss but also have Under the Bridge in their back pocket, Metallica come out swinging with Enter Sandman, and IIRC Soundgarden put Outshined out first, which itself did surprisingly well and put SG front & center.

Then slowly Teen Spirit begins it's climb. Why?  I'm not sure anyone who lived thru it can tell you, other than it was the right song, at the right time, for the right people. It just spoke "New" and anti "Everything That Happened Before" (before being music in the 80s). The lyrics did have some form of empathy to alot of alienated and bored youth ('Here we are now, entertain us' 'I feel stupid, and contageous') Words that were never spoken in that way before, so raw & vulnerable. Then it just snowballed, New Years hit, they played SNL, and it was over. Somehow, remarkably, he & that album left the others in the dust in a way. It's a great album, for what it is, but it seems a bit corny looking back a generation held it and Kurt so highly. In some ways, I almost feel bad and a bit to blame. I wonder if something which bothered him was he knew he wasn't the most talented one, or the leader of the Grunge/Alternative movement, and couldn't live with that, as if it were some lie he was living.

Kurt was an all around talent, but he wasn't a great singer, songwriter, or guitarist the way Chris Cornell was. Recently, I watched an interview of Cornell on Howard Stern. I think it was around 05-2010 era, during or post Audioslave. Howard asks him if the Kurt Cobain death affected him, and Chris honestly answers "No. Well, no, IT affected me, as in it was Kurt Cobain and he was gone, but I had lost a friend a few years earlier which hit me more on a personal level. He was my best friend" (Andrew Wood). And Howard asks him 'We you and Kurt friends?' and Chris replies "No. Well, I knew him, like we met & hung out a few times at award shows & stuff. But we weren't friends" That kinda put it into perspective alot for me. Soundgarden was probably this monster band from Seattle, and Kurt probably had his little punk band growing, but nowhere nearly on the level. I'd be curious to know if as Nirvana was rising, (summer/fall 91) if Cornell was ever able to stop by a show and meet backstage. It would be interesting, seeing this guy who is massively better than you at everything you're trying to do (sing, write, play), but there, nice guy and encouraging you on.

Imho Nirvana was a bit one dimensional, whereas Soundgarden led by a monster guitar player, I can see influences of Black Sabbath (Paranoid vs Rusty Cage) as well as early Def Leppard/Pyromania, just that rocking guitar sound. He had influences from all over. Jerry Cantrell is also a massively talented & underrated member of the grunge circuit, as he wrote alot of the AIC tracks. AIC with Layne however, was top notch. Add in Pearl Jam, a band with Hendrixian guitar licks on their first 2-3 albums, it was a remarkable breakthrough for rock music. How Nirvana managed to notch their place at the top of that lineup, well thats something I guess I'm one step closer to never figuring out.

Board footer