You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N' Roses planning new album - 'It's too good not to happen!'

monkeychow wrote:

Hmm...I want to be excited about this but as others have mentioned Fortus pretty much says this type of thing every 2-3 years.

Then again Axl has multiple unreleased tracks we know about lying around since 2001 or something. Wouldn't be hard to add slash to those.

Surely one day they'll see the light.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I wish they could get Tommy back to contribute in some capacity. Going by his solo stuff, he's probably the closest of the latterday members to Izzy as a songwriter – his tunes have the same attitude and vibe.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

Tommy is the man, no doubt about that. he was the soul of "NewGNR", together with Robin and to some extent, Buckethead and Josh Freese. and also as a person, he's always been cool.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Axl replaced the members methodically.

You had a punk style drummer that vibed with the punk style bassist with a blue collar work ethic.

I think Robin was ultimately miscast in the Slash role instead of the Izzy role. If you look at the early leaks as the blueprint for the project, it was going to be a "stripped down" album with a 70s classic rock psychedelia that was mixed with industrial sound. In that sense, Robin could do a decent job of jumping back and forth between those two roles. If Slash rejoined he could probably take over some of the bluesier stuff.

Instead Bucket joined and eventually filled that role. Slash's songs written from the ground up have been pretty boring and not really fit the style of GN'R. Same goes for Bucket, really.

Back to the circle, eh gents? 14

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

"Slash's songs written from the ground up have been pretty boring and not really fit the style of GN'R"

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on a GNR forum.... 10 16 16

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

"Slash's songs written from the ground up have been pretty boring and not really fit the style of GN'R"

I stand by my statement.

I was mainly thinking of his post-GNR work but also the Illusions stuff.

Motorhead inspired speed metal is for the birds.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think it depends on what a person takes from GNR.

Ever notice how alone none of the members really nail the complete sound alone?

Chinese Democracy missed the guitar rawness of Slash. Slash's stuff missed the power of Axl's voice. Duff's stuff is punk but without the blues of the others, Izzy's is Americiana but without the solos and voice....

So on one hand you can say none of them did anything GNR outside of GNR.

On the other hand, if you listen closely to the parts and fill in the gaps, you can hear the records that never were.

You can listen to TIL, TWAT, Cather, Blues, Madgasgar and imagine what UYI Slash would play on those songs.

You can listen to By The Sword, Anastasia, Ghost, Sucker Train Blues, Neither Can I and imagine what Axl would have sung on those tracks.

Slash has a shit ton of riffs that were just as good guitar wise as GNR but are not as well appreciated because they didn't get the full GNR process.

johndivney wrote:

The only thing Axl does methodically is when he's on the shitter.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I can't even do that...

I think it would be interesting to know how Axl spends his days now (perhaps not much different from the past 15 plus years). When did he lose the motivation to be creative? Perhaps it was the day he turned the band from a partnership and into an employee-employer relationship and created a 401K.

perhaps there was less motivation on everyone else's part to even participate...as residuals roll in regardless of how poorly everyone behaved from the mid-90s to...oh...to July 3, 2017.

zelfitz
 Rep: 1 

zelfitz wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I can't even do that...

I think it would be interesting to know how Axl spends his days now (perhaps not much different from the past 15 plus years). When did he lose the motivation to be creative? Perhaps it was the day he turned the band from a partnership and into an employee-employer relationship and created a 401K.

perhaps there was less motivation on everyone else's part to even participate...as residuals roll in regardless of how poorly everyone behaved from the mid-90s to...oh...to July 3, 2017.

The only thing that ever held this band together was poverty.

Board footer