You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: US Politics Thread

buzzsaw wrote:

Really didn't think this could get even more idiotic, but it has.  Somehow I'm sure this is still my fault...

White people shooting brown people?  Did you really say that? 

You guys know next to nothing about healthcare.  That much can't be denied.  You're not qualified to have a discussion that's even close to based in any truth.  Obamacare is awful and unsustainable financially.  The new plan is awful and unsustainable in addressing any of the actual healthcare issues.  Do we really need to waste time debating which is more horrible?  It really doesn't matter.  One is just a tax and the other is just a tax break.  Neither  option does anything to improve the healthcare situation for the common person.  But go ahead and ignore all that and talk about how your side is better for whatever talking point you recently overheard.  The next original thought coming from most of you will be the first.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Actually, (red) states were refusing to participate and never accepted the subsidies for the insurance companies which increased the premiums, leaving insurance companies no protection and lead to them opting out. There was a provision in Obamacare that would have prevented the premium hike, which would have given emergency funding to prevent the premium rise, but Republicans, lead specifically by Marco Rubio, stripped that provision away. TN governor desperately wanted to opt in like Kentucky, but the state government wouldn't allow it.

Still, no one is capping the pharmaceutical and medical industries like Trump said he would. No one is offering people making less than 30 grand a year to buy in early to Medicare. Until then, you're not going to have a stable system.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Until costs get controlled in some manner, there is no solution regardless of the side you're rooting for. All the things Obamacare did cost money and require full participation. Instead the sick signed up and the healthy took their chances with a fine, which is the fiscally correct move to make for the individual (unless you got unlucky and something bad happened to you when you were uninsured), but not the whole. The high-deductible plans basically amount to catastrophic care only. So people pay huge premiums and don't hit their deductible unless something major happens. It's a mess.

I prefer (and I can't believe I'm going to say this) Obamacare to the republican plan (as currently constructed) if (and that's a big IF) they can find a way to fix the clear financial issues. Passing the garbage they passed though was just as asinine as what the Republicans are trying to do now. The answer isn't in either plan, but there might be an answer somewhere in the middle.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Obamacare had the right idea but it got severely screwed up as it was being passed. You can thank useless Joe Lieberman for a lot of that. But yeah, nothing is going to work until they regulate big pharma and the medical industry. Its the only industry in this country that isn't regulated. And we're the only country in the industrialized world who doesn't. My niece has a deadly nut allergy. Those assholes raised the price of her epipen from just over $100 to over $500 just because they could. And you have to keep buying them because they expire.

They're going to have to have some kind of universal coverage for people making less than 30 grand a year. I'm torn on the mandate, but I have to agree with it. If you don't buy insurance when you're able, the fine they place on you should give you basic Medicaid coverage. Have the fine go directly into Medicaid.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Until costs get controlled in some manner, there is no solution regardless of the side you're rooting for. All the things Obamacare did cost money and require full participation. Instead the sick signed up and the healthy took their chances with a fine, which is the fiscally correct move to make for the individual (unless you got unlucky and something bad happened to you when you were uninsured), but not the whole. The high-deductible plans basically amount to catastrophic care only. So people pay huge premiums and don't hit their deductible unless something major happens. It's a mess.

I prefer (and I can't believe I'm going to say this) Obamacare to the republican plan (as currently constructed) if (and that's a big IF) they can find a way to fix the clear financial issues. Passing the garbage they passed though was just as asinine as what the Republicans are trying to do now. The answer isn't in either plan, but there might be an answer somewhere in the middle.

One thing f the big reasons costs are crazy is because plenty of people who don't have insurance get healthcare and don't pay their bills...so then people with insurance pay more to make up for it.

I don't know why people are opposed to forcing everyone to buy insurance. The fine on your taxes is paltry and doesn't discourage anyone.

misterID

misterID wrote:

That's the thing, the reason it works with the Swiss is that the penalty is heavy. Here, if you end up paying a fine that is less than the money you'd spend on insurance, why buy insurance? Especially if you can afford the meds and doctor visits. They need young, healthy, financially secure people to buy into the system (Obamacare), and they're not.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's the thing, the reason it works with the Swiss is that the penalty is heavy. Here, if you end up paying a fine that is less than the money you'd spend on insurance, why buy insurance? Especially if you can afford the meds and doctor visits. They need young, healthy, financially secure people to buy into the system (Obamacare), and they're not.

Because it is a fucking scam.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I say give anyone that wants single payer the single payer. Then deduct a portion of that from any other federal or state funds they get. The rest of the population can have their own private insurance. But insurance should now REWARD those that are making an effort to be healthy. So do a yearly physical and the morbidly obese person or smoker needs to pay more than people that are living a healthier life style. But keep the no pre existing condition clause. There needs to be an incentive to keep a good body weight etc.

It is the poors and unhealthy that ruin it for all. But I have more sympathy for people that get sick through no fault of their own.

Somebody however needs to enforce fair pricing at the hospital level as well. Let's agree to real costs. Not this fake shit where they send a letter saying "The doctor/hospital charged us $250,000 for your surgery but we settled for $25,000. The doctor needs to be able to charge $25,000 and the insurance co pay $25,000. Right now it seems they make up a number to settle at a number they will accept. It is bullshit.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Insurance is a scam?

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Insurance?

Board footer