You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

Right. We're in good hands. We have the guy who was retweeting a Reddit video a few days ago. I feel confident in our safety and stability.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

As a Trump voter (I voted for Kasich in the primary) I am disgusted with his bahavior. Like stop the fucking Twitter. That said policy and position wise I agree with much of it. But the Twitter shit is so Fucking distracting nobody gives a fuck about it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

What policy, though? A healthcare bill he doesn't know what's in it, then says it's mean, then backs it up, but doesn't know how it works. Twitter is an embarrassment, but is the least of his issues. He's taking credit for an economy that's not his. Using the same numbers and sources a few months back he called a lie. Like he said unemployment was actually 30-40%? The deregulating of banks so they can start making unscrupulous/ high risk loans again? How do you defend that? Is there no shame?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Relax, we got the former Exxon CEO & Ivanka Trumps husband running this.  Nothing to worry about at all, we're in great, experienced hands.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

If only we had John Kerry!  Lol. He may be the biggest pussy ever. He was so weak.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

What policy, though? A healthcare bill he doesn't know what's in it,

That sounds familiar

then says it's mean, then backs it up, but doesn't know how it works. Twitter is an embarrassment, but is the least of his issues. He's taking credit for an economy that's not his.

every administration does this.  Learn more about how economies/economics work.  Data lags the actual changes.  Then if you don't like the data, you can just change the numbers to whatever you want them to be (see Obama's unemployment numbers).  It's all a big joke on you.

Using the same numbers and sources a few months back he called a lie. Like he said unemployment was actually 30-40%? The deregulating of banks so they can start making unscrupulous/ high risk loans again? How do you defend that? Is there no shame?

You know how you defend it?  You don't take out the loans.  You take personal responsibility for your decisions.  You don't buy the house that's too big.  You don't buy the newest car.  The government shouldn't be telling us what we can and can't do on every single subject.  The problem isn't the loans; it's the people taking out the loans.  You always point the finger at the wrong place.  They aren't going to offer a product if there isn't a market for it.  Business 101. 

You don't seem to understand what most conservatives actually stand for.  You get caught up in the rhetoric because you live off of the one liners from the media.  I don't pretend to know what Liberals stand for on the financial side of things.  It makes no sense at all.  The ONLY thing they accomplish is making more people dependent on the gov't.  I don't see them trotting out their individual Liberal financial successes come election time.  Why is that?  Because there are too few to mention?  It's because it's failed policy.  People don't generally recover from being on welfare because the system makes it easier for them to not even bother trying.  We'll take care of you, but we're going to put you in position to keep failing.  We're going to put you with other people that have failed so you don't see how to do better and you do see that welfare is an accepted way of life.  It becomes normal.  It's the same reason prison doesn't rehabilitate people.  You surround them with the bad and expect something good to come out of it.  That's not how it works.

People need hope.  Hope isn't you can survive, but you'll be poor forever.  That's not hope at all.  That's hopeless.  There are success stories out there.  People have come from nothing and done well for themselves through hard work.  Not Rockefeller well for themselves in most cases, but well. I've shared my story here.  Others have as well.  We didn't all start at the same place nor did we all end at the same place, but we succeeded in having a better life than most people coming from where we came from.  Why?  Because we didn't use the assistance as a way of life.  I can't speak for the others, but it was embarrassing for our family and we did everything we could to not have to rely on it.  I'm not some super genius or anything like that.  I didn't go to college.  I worked hard (even though I am lazy by nature) because I knew that was the only way things would get better.  I (like almost everybody) had opportunities fall into my lap through little more than just luck; the difference is that I took advantage of them.  I learned everything I could from them.  Even jobs I hated taught me things that have benefited me later on.  Your first job isn't supposed to hand you a living wage; it's supposed to teach you the skills you need to get a job that can provide you with a living wage.  But nobody wants to earn anything; they think they deserve it just for being alive.  No.  NO.  NO!  So many people in these pay me $15/hr to flip a burger jobs can't be bothered to show up on time or even wash their hands after using the restroom.  I'm sorry...if you can't even do the basics, you don't deserve the basics much less $15/hr.  If you CAN do the basics (and you actually DO them), you're not going to be flipping burgers forever.  The people begging for $15/hr for a job that isn't worth $15/hr are the same people that are going to be in those jobs forever because they don't have the ability, ambition, or desire to earn more.  Here's the harshest reality for them (even if they aren't replaced by computers): they will still be too poor making $15/hr because someone is always at the bottom and they'll be demanding more again.  It's a never ending cycle that can only change through effort (and usually minimal effort at that).

Blast me.  Don't care.  There's a whole lot of truth in there even if you don't agree with all of it.  Republicans suck because they don't give a shit about the poor.  Democrats suck because they don't care about anything other than making more people poor and adding to their voting base.  It's just a horrible mess that we pay for while fighting among ourselves about why the other side sucks more instead of realizing we're all being played by both of them while they celebrate together behind closed doors.  They both know the answer that is best of us is in the middle ground somewhere, but as long as the money keeps pouring in for them, they couldn't care less about finding a solution for anything.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:

Relax, we got the former Exxon CEO & Ivanka Trumps husband running this.  Nothing to worry about at all, we're in great, experienced hands.

Versus a community organizer and someone who served 4 years in the Senate without a single legislative accomplishment?  You guys gave up the experience card when you elected someone who lacked a single, non-academic accomplishment.  You called him a "Constitutional Scholar" despite never arguing before SCOTUS. 

Stocks skyrocketed the day Trump was elected and a new high is occurring nearly every week.  But somehow Obama deserves credit for this.  His Labor Czar and efforts to advertise free shit for the stupid and poor were instrumental in getting people back to work and improving the economy.  It's not like progressive policies that everyone should have a home, regardless of their ability to afford one, were the root of the housing bubble. 

Trump can't do any worse than Obama in terms of foreign policy.  There's not one success you can point to, and go "See, what Obama did made the world a better/safer place."  We had 8 years of people who thought their was a moral high ground to behaving like Chamberlain and providing strongly worded letters to the editorial board was as effective as real action. 

Trump's twitter nonsense is insane.  But it doesn't harm anyone.  Compare that to the failure that was Barry's signature legislation in Obamacare, and the fiasco he left in the Middle East, Asia, Africa and Russia, and what the fuck do you have to celebrate?  He removed Don't Ask, Don't Tell?  He fucked that up when he tried to force the services to take mentally ill people who think Gender is fluid and could never deploy because of their illness. Thankfully Mattis has put a hiatus to that stupidity and recognizes we don't need people in uniform who could never deploy to a combat zone. 

In what way were any of his advisors more qualified than the CEO of the largest, international company in the world?  As if managing a business across the globe with various laws and limitations isn't a perfectly good skillset to make international agreements.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

That sounds familiar

then says it's mean, then backs it up, but doesn't know how it works. Twitter is an embarrassment, but is the least of his issues. He's taking credit for an economy that's not his.

every administration does this.  Learn more about how economies/economics work.  Data lags the actual changes.  Then if you don't like the data, you can just change the numbers to whatever you want them to be (see Obama's unemployment numbers).  It's all a big joke on you.

Using the same numbers and sources a few months back he called a lie. Like he said unemployment was actually 30-40%? The deregulating of banks so they can start making unscrupulous/ high risk loans again? How do you defend that? Is there no shame?

You know how you defend it?  You don't take out the loans.  You take personal responsibility for your decisions.  You don't buy the house that's too big.  You don't buy the newest car.  The government shouldn't be telling us what we can and can't do on every single subject.  The problem isn't the loans; it's the people taking out the loans.  You always point the finger at the wrong place.  They aren't going to offer a product if there isn't a market for it.  Business 101. 

You don't seem to understand what most conservatives actually stand for.  You get caught up in the rhetoric because you live off of the one liners from the media.  I don't pretend to know what Liberals stand for on the financial side of things.  It makes no sense at all.  The ONLY thing they accomplish is making more people dependent on the gov't.  I don't see them trotting out their individual Liberal financial successes come election time.  Why is that?  Because there are too few to mention?  It's because it's failed policy.  People don't generally recover from being on welfare because the system makes it easier for them to not even bother trying.  We'll take care of you, but we're going to put you in position to keep failing.  We're going to put you with other people that have failed so you don't see how to do better and you do see that welfare is an accepted way of life.  It becomes normal.  It's the same reason prison doesn't rehabilitate people.  You surround them with the bad and expect something good to come out of it.  That's not how it works.

People need hope.  Hope isn't you can survive, but you'll be poor forever.  That's not hope at all.  That's hopeless.  There are success stories out there.  People have come from nothing and done well for themselves through hard work.  Not Rockefeller well for themselves in most cases, but well. I've shared my story here.  Others have as well.  We didn't all start at the same place nor did we all end at the same place, but we succeeded in having a better life than most people coming from where we came from.  Why?  Because we didn't use the assistance as a way of life.  I can't speak for the others, but it was embarrassing for our family and we did everything we could to not have to rely on it.  I'm not some super genius or anything like that.  I didn't go to college.  I worked hard (even though I am lazy by nature) because I knew that was the only way things would get better.  I (like almost everybody) had opportunities fall into my lap through little more than just luck; the difference is that I took advantage of them.  I learned everything I could from them.  Even jobs I hated taught me things that have benefited me later on.  Your first job isn't supposed to hand you a living wage; it's supposed to teach you the skills you need to get a job that can provide you with a living wage.  But nobody wants to earn anything; they think they deserve it just for being alive.  No.  NO.  NO!  So many people in these pay me $15/hr to flip a burger jobs can't be bothered to show up on time or even wash their hands after using the restroom.  I'm sorry...if you can't even do the basics, you don't deserve the basics much less $15/hr.  If you CAN do the basics (and you actually DO them), you're not going to be flipping burgers forever.  The people begging for $15/hr for a job that isn't worth $15/hr are the same people that are going to be in those jobs forever because they don't have the ability, ambition, or desire to earn more.  Here's the harshest reality for them (even if they aren't replaced by computers): they will still be too poor making $15/hr because someone is always at the bottom and they'll be demanding more again.  It's a never ending cycle that can only change through effort (and usually minimal effort at that).

Blast me.  Don't care.  There's a whole lot of truth in there even if you don't agree with all of it.  Republicans suck because they don't give a shit about the poor.  Democrats suck because they don't care about anything other than making more people poor and adding to their voting base.  It's just a horrible mess that we pay for while fighting among ourselves about why the other side sucks more instead of realizing we're all being played by both of them while they celebrate together behind closed doors.  They both know the answer that is best of us is in the middle ground somewhere, but as long as the money keeps pouring in for them, they couldn't care less about finding a solution for anything.

Beautiful post.  Don't forget that Bernie, the gold standard of the progressive caucus, believes that everyone waiting in breadlines for food is a desirable outcome.  Because it's better that everyone be rationed food for existing than deny the lazy piece of shit who refuses to contribute to society from going hungry.  That's the world the left wants, and you nailed it.  Misery for everyone because how dare we treat people like individuals and judge them for their failures and poor choices.  That's not nice and may hurt someone's feelings, so let's make everyone's quality of life worse.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

That sounds familiar

You're ranting about your own issues that I never even mentioned. Everything in that rant had zero to do with what I just said. You're just assuming you know me,  you're creating straw man arguments, and making up facts about how I think and comparing to your made up expertise in whatever you're bent out of shape about. This is why we can't take you serious when you do that shit. I mean, Flagg is agreeing with you. That says it all.  I'm speaking specifically that Obama inherited a terrible economy and it turned around under all the policies you guys bitch about and try to say doesn't work... It did. Trump lied about it, said our economy is terrible, and now is taking credit for how good it is.... And no, not all presidents do that. What other president did this? Please point it out to me. This is in no way normal. Why is it for the last 30 years the economy tanks under Republican ideology and rebound under Democrats? Banks can loan now, are making big money under those regulations, why change?

You know, predatory loans are called that because they lie to get people to take the loan. And you cannot compare YOUR story to everyone else, none of us have the same experience or circumstances, that seems to jade a lot of people who have to compare their situation to what other people are going through. Are there irresponsible people? Hell yes, but that effects all of us, so nip it in the bud and not excuse the criminal by blaming the victim. Do I believe in $15 minimum wage? No. But when you say that, remember conservatives don't even want a minimum wage. If they could get away with it they'd go back to the days companies paid in their own currency and that could only be used in company stores. And you're assuming what I think, like Randall likes to do. I grew up in a republican community, so I have a pretty good insight into conservatism which has shaped my views more than anything.

Most people "dependant" on the government are the working poor, who have jobs that don't pay a living wage.

You're just not being honest about the employment numbers.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not being honest about the employment numbers?  I didn't change the formula to fit my needs.

The "rant" is about accepting personal responsibility.  It's expanded for sure, but exactly on topic as you're blaming the lenders for people taking out bad loans instead of blaming the person taking out the loan. 

Poor them...the bank took advantage of them and made them buy more house than they could afford or a car they can't afford.  Forced them at gunpoint to sign on the dotted line.  /sarcasm

Board footer