You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Sirius XM 41

Smoking Guns wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Axl sings side mouth, the tempo is off, and the band doesn't sound great. It is what it is but it's a step down.

When all you listen to is classical and Buckethead and then to the aging drunken blues it all feels a little dirty.

lol.....  Your boy Frank is pretty bad, but this is a high quality recording and I think it sounds pretty damn solid..

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, I also think this performance is mediocre. any performance during BH/BBF era has so much more energy and power than this tired nostalgy rendition... for me the best Nightrain years might be something like this: 2006/7, 2002, 2009/10, UYI, AFD, 2001, then a long gap, 2011... a long gap again, and 2012-14 together with 2016/17.
not talking about the recording quality - which is of course very very good smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I thought Axl sounded good during the first half of the 2016 shows...more rasp than than he has so far in 2017.

Slash is awesome in that soundboard.

In a perfect world I'd have Slash and Fortus from now, with Sorum from 1992 and Axl from 2006....hahaha but this is pretty good...gives me hope if they release a fixed up Blu Ray it might be good.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
zombux wrote:

yup, I also think this performance is mediocre. any performance during BH/BBF era has so much more energy and power than this tired nostalgy rendition... for me the best Nightrain years might be something like this: 2006/7, 2002, 2009/10, UYI, AFD, 2001, then a long gap, 2011... a long gap again, and 2012-14 together with 2016/17.
not talking about the recording quality - which is of course very very good smile

For fucks sake, more fans that didn't discover GNR until CD, lol.....  This is the most ridiculous shit I have seen. To prefer Bumble and Finck back in the band, I don't get this shit. No offense fellers, you guys dancing with Mr. Brownstone? This shit is in the spirit of Live Era yet you still don't like it. Did you like Live Era?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

lol.....  Your boy Frank is pretty bad, but this is a high quality recording and I think it sounds pretty damn solid..

My boy? I don't like Frank. Worst drummer GNR has had by a country mile.

Smoking Guns wrote:

This shit is in the spirit of Live Era yet you still don't like it. Did you like Live Era?

Senator, I know Live Era. Live Era is a friend of mine and this is no Live Era.

The classic lineup is kind of like that star athlete who is so good that they don't even have to try, come to practice, or whatever. The classic band had that, it was chaos and it worked. Axl sounded incredible in many cases. This is not that band. They are not those guys. They've aged and it shows.

New GNR both 2002 and 2006 is like a well-oiled machine ready to tear your fucking head off. Axl was mediocre in 2002 writ large but the band was incredible more often than they weren't.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
zombux wrote:

For fucks sake, more fans that didn't discover GNR until CD, lol.....  This is the most ridiculous shit I have seen. To prefer Bumble and Finck back in the band, I don't get this shit. No offense fellers, you guys dancing with Mr. Brownstone? This shit is in the spirit of Live Era yet you still don't like it. Did you like Live Era?

nah, I'm a fan since early 90's, probably '91 or so.
I've never told anything about preferring someone back in the band, where did you read that? nonsense. I just think the current "era" is extremely similar to 2012-14, just that Slash got back in the band, which in turn means huge $$$ profits, but from a creative point of view, it's zero points.
and yeah, I totally forgot about Live Era. that Nightrain performance made me love the song. yeah, I know, it wasn't really "live", but who cares, it's a fucking blast! I'd rate that one on par with 2002.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash and Duff want to record. They live to record.  The lack of new shit is all on one person... Axl.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

axl has a one track mind. if he's touring, there's no possible way any work is being done on a new album. slash, duff & fortus might be jamming on some riffs during soundchecks, but i doubt axl's mind has put much thought into new music.

when the tour ends and he gets tired of counting his money, the thought might pop back in his head... but until then, we're just as close to new music as we've ever been.

Board footer