You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Atlas Shrugged

zombux wrote:

"I came in there initially to program some guitar sounds, and then wound up hitting it off with Axl (Rose, GUNS frontman), and then my job kind of migrated into the computer guy. I don't know what you would call me exactly. I kind of was there all night with Axl as he would work. The band came in during the day with a producer and would work most of the day, and then I would come in ten o'clock at night, say goodbye to those guys, Axl would show up later on, and then we'd do our thing all night and then do it the next day."
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/a-perf … democracy/
(I know, the shittiest source of news, like, ever)
funny and absurd thing is, that thanks to Axl's inactivity, Howerdel went on and started A Perfect Circle together with Josh Freese and Tool's Maynard James Keenan. the debut album is a cool one, not anything groundbreaking but cool.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Thanks. As for APC, Mer De Norms was brilliant, Thirteenth Step was half good half bad, Emotive was a waste of time.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

That would be the Bucket & Brain / Roy Thomas Baker / Tom Zutaut album, the dog poo/chicken coop edition.

Yeah, that.

Tom Zutaut wrote:

"The stuff that we worked on back in ’01 smoked its ass."

I need that.

apex-twin wrote:

In late 2001, Axl became sole producer. He was pleased with the Village Studios dude, Caram, who was made the next Bill Howerdel, his personal studio guy. Next thing we know, Marco Beltrami and Paul Buckmaster visit the studio, doing in elaborate background sections. That's what Ax felt the album needed.

kM7dLvK.jpg

For the visually minded: Axl's crew at Village Studios circa 2003-2004. Eric Cadieux, Dan Monti, Axl Rose, Caram Costanzo.

apex-twin wrote:

Both RTB and Beavan got an album's worth of music out of Axl within 1,5-2 years. That's a reasonable timeframe...

An album from RTB? I'd say there's maybe 3/4 of an album we know about post-Beavan.

apex-twin wrote:

Again, had this been part 3 of an already ecletic trilogy, with two prior parts out, he would've gotten away with it.

Indeed. It truly could've been a Hail Mary at the end of the game. Alas, Axl seemed to run out the clock with the ball in his hands...

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
Tom Zutaut wrote:

"The stuff that we worked on back in ’01 smoked its ass."

I need that.

Must've smelled like Teen Spirit.

Wagszilla wrote:

kM7dLvK.jpg

For the visually minded: Axl's crew at Village Studios circa 2003-2004. Eric Cadieux, Dan Monti, Axl Rose, Caram Costanzo.

Yup, the original Village crew, who took over from Beavan, Critter, et al @ Rumbo. French Eric, who came in from Joe Satriani's band. Next to him, the wunderkind Del Rey Brewer. He's roughly half of Axl's age, there. He did the awesome thing and left the project in the '04 diaspora to work with Buckethead. They wrote songs like Nottingham Lace together.

And sure enough, there's Caram. He did a lot of maddeningly detailed ProTools work, juggling so many audio tracks and soundbytes. A big deal in a project of CD's timeframe is personnel turnover. The Village move, for instance, was ushered by Bob Ezrin. He'd set the band up for a re-recording, but was not around to share his vision of 'good songs' with a confused Axl anymore. Caram was there, maybe since Day 1 at the Village. He'd follow Axl into the wilderness.

Wagszilla wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Both RTB and Beavan got an album's worth of music out of Axl within 1,5-2 years. That's a reasonable timeframe...

An album from RTB? I'd say there's maybe 3/4 of an album we know about post-Beavan.

For sure, same songs, mostly. Let's say, a releasable product with the required pedigree. The RTB album was pretty much done, while the orchestrations commissioned by Axl are possibly the only bits of it remaining on CD.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Must've smelled like Teen Spirit

A project which, incidentally enough, also originated with a piece of graffiti. "Kurt smells like Teen Spirit" was a bit of teenage vandalism courtesy of Bikini Kill's Kathleen Hanna, spawning the name of the titular track. For all the Nirvana aficionados in the audience.

If offered to save either the Beavan album or the 2001 album, I would not hesitate and choose the latter.

apex-twin wrote:

The Village move, for instance, was ushered by Bob Ezrin. He'd set the band up for a re-recording, but was not around to share his vision of 'good songs' with a confused Axl anymore.

I've always wondered what songs Ezrin was referring to in his infamous "three songs" comment...

apex-twin wrote:

Caram was there, maybe since Day 1 at the Village. He'd follow Axl into the wilderness.

Or on a near-endless Chinese Democracy tour long after the bell had rung.

apex-twin wrote:

For sure, same songs, mostly. Let's say, a releasable product with the required pedigree. The RTB album was pretty much done, while the orchestrations commissioned by Axl are possibly the only bits of it remaining on CD.

The old songs inclusion clarifies things. I've always wondered about the track listing. And artwork. Sigh.

The producer situation is somewhat curious. They went through a handful of producers in the Appetite recording process until they found Mike Clink which fit like a glove. Axl and Sean got along like mates. Ok, find someone new. Baker would've been something of an hero to Axl. Then again with the communication issues.

Communication issues, mystery illnesses. Frequently cited canards.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

Dadud wrote:

sounds like something gnr would do in the mid 90s. there could be something here.

235 week ago...

And you were fucking right.

Board footer