You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Skid Row reunion door closed

James wrote:

LOS ANGELES, California — Scotti Hill of Skid Row joined the August 7th episode of Another FN Podcast to tell stories about his youth, learning to play guitar, how Skid Row got together, Dimebag Darrell, the KISS Farewell Tour, and more, but eventually the elephant in the room made itself known and the topic of Sebastian Bach and any chance of a reunion came up.

It had been rumored for years that the reason Bach was relieved of his duties fronting the band had to do with the fact that Skid Row turned down the KISS Reunion Tour in 1996.  Hill confirmed this with a story that he doesn’t think had ever been told.

“That caused a giant uproar is what it did and he did something to Snake Sabo that was unacceptable.  He called Snake on Thanksgiving and said some horrible things into his answering machine and Snake said ‘you know what? I’m not going to be in a band with you anymore’.   It’s as simple as that.”

Replacing a guy with the talents of Sebastian Bach was not easy.  He remembers when that came up after a long vacation from anything Skid Row and remembers thinking about how the fans would freak out and the road back to where they are now was not an easy one.

“We did that KISS (Farewell) tour and that was a 140 something shows, of all of which I watched, and after that it was a battle to get to where we’re at now” he said.

For the past couple of years rumors have been circulating of a possible reunion of the Skids and their former front man but once and for all, any chance of that happening has been laid to rest.

“That door is closed.  There was talk about it, the two camps went back and forth and it was not to happen so that door is now shut” Hill said.

When asked if that meant forever and that was the last nail in the coffin of any Skid Row/Sebastian Bach reunion, he responded, “Yeah.  I believe so.  I tell you what, our singer, ZP Theart…just call him ZP.  He’s a brother.  He’s a great fucking singer, he’s a great front man, he’s a guy I look forward to seeing, a guy I look forward to hanging out with.  We trust him with the band that we’ve been in all this time and that is precious to us.  We can go out and play and enjoy ourselves.”

Of course it is something the fans want to see.  Fans wax nostalgic about the originals that created the magic being on stage together, but as we all know in this crazy rock n roll world isn’t always the fairy tale that we wish it could be.  How did Hill respond about doing it for the fans?

“Not at the expense of my happiness, no. I’m sorry.  It ain’t fucking happening.

We appreciate fans, we do.  We’re probably the most fan friendly band you will every meet.  We will go out in the cold, we’ll hang out with them, but what we won’t do is put ourselves in a volatile situation and be unhappy and destroy what we have now”.

While shutting down any hope the fans may have of a reunion ever happening, he did have this to say about Bach, “He’s not a rockstar, he’s a superstar.  He’s great.  I’ll speak for myself.  He is a guy who will cut his own throat to do a good show.  He puts it all out there.  He’s a great singer and a great front man; one of the all time greats, but we’re not working together.  To replace a guy like that? You realize what you’re up against. The records he did with Skid Row were great and he was a huge part of that.

Everybody is like “oh we’re on Skid Row’s side” or “we’re on Sebastian’s side”.  No.  You gotta be on the side of rock and roll.  When Sebastian plays in your town, go see him, because he’s great.  When Skid Row plays in your town, go see em, because I’m great (laughs), no because we will fucking blow your ass away”.

The Skids are currently in the process of writing and demoing new songs for an upcoming record featuring ZP Theart on vocals.  No time frame has been given for the release.

http://metalsludge.tv/reunion-door-clos … cceptable/

James

James wrote:

Unreal. This whole fiasco is over words said 20+ years ago over the phone?!? Hell, many thought it was something like Baz having an affair with Bolan/Sabo's wife or something else of that magnitude.

They were all young. Using drugs too. People say stupid shit all the time  they regret and at some point you just need to bury the hatchet.

Once they skipped the legit possility of riding the GNR gravy train last year I knew it wasn't happening. They will never see a better opportunity come there way than that.

So I agree with him...its closed.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

at this point, i'd rather see baz return to trailer park boys than skid row.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He left a horrible message on my answering machine at Thanksgiving 30 years ago. Unforgivable!!

James

James wrote:

I dont watch/listen to Trunk but on Metal Sludge someone mentioned that trunk brought this up and claims that a deal was close for a reunion(I assume last year) and Baz made a few extra demands and this caused them to pull out of the whole thing.

If true....it shows that they at least extended an olive branch.

Brass tacks:

Its likely not even worth it. What are they gonna pull in? Opening at Coachella? MAYBE a headliner slot at Rocklahoma? 1k size venues?

Would they even make enough money to travel seperately? The whole thing goes tits up day one if they're in the same van/bus.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

It's just a shame that they couldn't hold it together long enough to put out more quality songs like Quicksand Jesus, In A Darkened Room and Wasted Time. Those songs are stellar, as is most of the Slave to the Grind album

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

And yeah, they blew it big time not getting their shit together to open for the current Guns tour. That would've been a great opening bill and a good way to get the ball rolling for anything they went into after that

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

When I saw GNR in 2010, Baz opened, and he was killer. I wish to God he was opening when I see them next Sunday.

I appreciate the diplomacy, but man, if there's a band that needs to reunite it's Skid Row.

James

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

It's just a shame that they couldn't hold it together long enough to put out more quality songs like Quicksand Jesus, In A Darkened Room and Wasted Time. Those songs are stellar, as is most of the Slave to the Grind album

It really is amazing in hindsight how quick the bottom dropped out of Skid Row. Less than two years.

Slave was an odd fork in the road in front of them at the worst possible moment. The debut sold like hot cakes 89-90 and when they released Slave, it was going in a much harder, serious direction and it lost them more than half their audience. being the opener on hot tours masked this fact temporarily.  A year later, they release that crap B-Side Ourselves EP that was dead on arrival. Literally nobody cared.

I'm amazed that they even bothered with Subhuman Race. MTV wasn't going to touch it and neither was radio.

edit: Isn't it amazing how much longer two years was back then?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

edit: Isn't it amazing how much longer two years was back then?

So true. I blink now and we've gone past like 5 years.

As for Skid Row...i'm hanging for a remaster or special edition of their first record...I love that shit...great guitar tones on it too...

Board footer