You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Merryweather vs McGregor

Neemo wrote:

Anyone else watch it? Floyd completely out classes him...conor looked like an amateur...its sickening how much $$$ they made on a circus act

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I just heard Mayweather made $300 million???  What???  McGregor made a $100, which is ridiculous in itself.

No, I didn't see it.  TBH MMA is something I'm not into, I just don't get it.  Boxing I get the legacy of it (Ali, Foreman, Tyson), so its like a lineage. Plus, there's some strategy to it, but I never get hardcore into the big fights to where its must-see. Thanks for the update, was it really that bad?  'McGregor looks like an amatuer' bad, surprised he made it 10 rounds.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I watched. That McGregor went 10 rounds says a lot. Floyd is one of the greats, and some guy who's never boxed professionally almost went the distance.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I watched. That McGregor went 10 rounds says a lot. Floyd is one of the greats, and some guy who's never boxed professionally almost went the distance.

I agree. For an MMA fighter to not be able to kick, grapple, lockdown, & other fight tactics is pretty impressive to box 'only' against one of the greats.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

conor impressed the shit out of me last night! he looked pretty great the first 3 rounds.... even though mayweather wasn't really doing anything.

both men did what they were supposed to do: conor went for the early knockout and mayweather let him tire himself out and then unleashed with big ass combos. i thought it was really interesting that they pretty much went toe to toe the whole fight. i expected a lot more dancing, especially from mayweather.

conor was too tired to keep his hands up in those last 2 rounds. i'm actually glad the ref stopped the fight when he did. conor could have kept going, probably, but we don't need any more alis or fraizers on our hands. it's a shame watching interviews with those old boxers after they retire; due to all the concussions and whatnot, their speech is slurred to the point of incomprehension.

but i'm glad i bought the fight. everyone who came over threw me some money, so i pretty much broke even, minus the cost of beer!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

CM looked totally out of shape at the end of the fight and FM didn't look tired at all really. So to me, this shows what kind of an athlete FM is. He is 40. CM is 29. As far as "fight shape" FM was far superior.

As far as the fight I found it very entertaining and great seeing each guy have strategy etc. To me this is much better than an MMA fight.

CM won the first 3 rounds but did zero damage and just made himself tire faster.

A lot of illegal punches by CM. I don't think any of them hurt FM but still was a lot of illegal.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You have no idea how much one round of boxing can take out of you, especially when you're not used to going 12 rounds. It takes A LOT of training to be prepard to go 12 rounds. That's why amateurs start out at 3 rounds. You move up to 6 rounds, then 9 rounds, then 10 rounds and finally 12. 30 years old is ancient to start boxing let alone go pro.

Let this sink in. Mayweather was 49-0. McGregor was 0-0. It's pretty impressive.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

You have no idea how much one round of boxing can take out of you, especially when you're not used to going 12 rounds. It takes A LOT of training to be prepard to go 12 rounds. That's why amateurs start out at 3 rounds. You move up to 6 rounds, then 9 rounds, then 10 rounds and finally 12. 30 years old is ancient to start boxing let alone go pro.

Let this sink in. Mayweather was 49-0. McGregor was 0-0. It's pretty impressive.

I know exactly since I used to box.  People said "Connor is an elite athlete, he will adjust well, he uses more energy in MMA than boxers do". No, they don't. What Floyd did for a 40 year old vs a 29 year old should not go unoticed. FM looked 29 and CM looked 40. You only get used to the demands of boxing by fighting. Sparing can't capture the same intensity. It just cannot.  I saw signs of CM being tired in round 4. To me the fight went perfectly to FM's plan. He was smart, he trained hard, and he stuck to his plan. I respect FM more now than previously.  It was a very entertaining fight.

I think CM could be a good boxer and probably make a lot more money there

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Sorry, man, people said he wouldn't last 3 rounds and not land a single punch.

The two sports are completely different. You cannot drop a person, at 30 years old, without a single boxing match, into the ring with world champion and say it's equal. MMA matches last three rounds right? So you're pointing out he got tired after 3..... I mean, hello.

It really should have been a 9 round fight.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Sorry, man, people said he wouldn't last 3 rounds and not land a single punch.

The two sports are completely different. You cannot drop a person, at 30 years old, without a single boxing match, into the ring with world champion and say it's equal. MMA matches last three rounds right? So you're pointing out he got tired after 3..... I mean, hello.

It really should have been a 9 round fight.

MMA is 5, 5 minute rounds. 25 mins. This was a scheduled 36 minute fight. He did good to last that long. He wanted the fight and the money. But at no point was he gonna win or anything. He could be a good boxer with more dedication and fights.

Board footer