You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: New Tour Dates Added

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I listened to the Vegas and Coachella soundboards which everyone raved about and Axl sounded quite poor.

Yeah it's interesting when you watch it back.

I think a lot of us gave it a pass because they had waited for Axl and Slash to reunite most of their lives, and also because it sounds good compared to 2012-2013 era Axl which was his absolute low point.

To me it has highs and lows. There's enough problems that I can't forget them and I can't think of it as the best modern shows, but there's also enough great bits that I don't send it to the Ashba bin either.

To me the best vocal stuff in this tour has been Houston 2016...but even it isn't up to the past.

James Lofton wrote:

To add to that, I think these killer guest appearances he does(Billy Joel, AC/DC) is more about bucket list items and performing with artists/bands he loves before its too late.

It's true.

That's the sad bit about a lot of this.

This isn't a master plan like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It's more like someone gave Randal in Clerks the day off work.

They have no plan, no agenda, they just wing it, and when something seems kinda fun they do it.

Slash rejoined because he lost money in his divorce and he's figured out while he can be the go-to-guitar icon of his generation he will never do anything on the level of GNR again and the legacy was getting ruined with cover artists.

Axl invited him back because the con was starting to wear thin: He's coasted just having fun and pissing people off for 30 years based on what he did in 87-92, he's lived the life, but now his voice is finally starting to go for real and he's driven the fake band from Stadiums, to Arenas, to Theatre's. He doesn't have the vitality or the voice to reset now. Only play left to live large to death was to fix things with Slash...because with Slash back the legitimacy of his band would largely be restored to casuals and business types, and he can hide his damaged voice around some other star power.

Neither of them thought it would work enough to make a real plan. Neither of them wants to risk pissing off the other with the thing that started a bunch of their fights in the first place: New Music.

So we limp on. When a bucket list item pops up for Axl - like Ac/Dc he does it, meanwhile just enjoy what's left...slash will play shows until he dies so he just goes with the flow...

Meanwhile a reunion album, AFD30 and anything else sits in limbo as it doesn't suit the real master plan: have fun, take it easy, and secure your last mountain of cash because Dorothy is walking towards the curtain...and after 30 years the con is almost up...

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

monkeychow wrote:

Axl invited him back because the con was starting to wear thin: He's coasted just having fun and pissing people off for 30 years based on what he did in 87-92, he's lived the life, but now his voice is finally starting to go for real and he's driven the fake band from Stadiums, to Arenas, to Theatre's.

So we limp on. When a bucket list item pops up for Axl - like Ac/Dc he does it, meanwhile just enjoy what's left...slash will play shows until he dies so he just goes with the flow...

Except the AC/DC tour was proof his voice hasn't gone. He gets more of a free pass(ish) from GNR fans so uses a voice that is less likely to strain and damage. He had to be on his A game for AC/DC so he used the classic raspy voice and it was still there and still sounded killer.

We can debate the merits of not using his A game voice for GNR shows but I would contest that his voice has 'gone'.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

AC/DC is easier to sing.

The entire discography has the same stop-and-go structure and sing-songy choruses. Lower register, amplified speaking voice to a louder shout. Easy to sustain throughout a show. Axl can do It's So Easy, Brownstone, and Chinese just fine for the same reasons.

Go check out "You Shook Me All Night Long" and other such songs. Same Mickey pitch, no rasp, inability to sustain the notes.

He clearly cares more about AC/DC. He has something to prove. Just like he did in 2006 and 2009.

I don't care, really. I've emotionally divested myself from GNR.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It is amusing. Who'd have thought a year & a half ago when this unforeseen reunion tour started by the end of the following summer we'd be saying Axl cares more about singing in ACDC than Guns.

Oh what a ride it is, being a Guns fan.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

It is amusing. Who'd have thought a year & a half ago when this unforeseen reunion tour started by the end of the following summer we'd be saying Axl cares more about singing in ACDC than Guns.

It's not really surprising, unfortunately.

The whole operation was tenuous to begin with. The Coachella gig was largely booked against Axl's will. He was done.

But the lure big money remained compelling. So you get a conservative, corporate run tour designed to feed hungry fans the serving of nostalgia they'd been craving for years. The Troubadour showcase is the rub on the belly everyone needs to feel pretty again. The first leg only seemed to congeal around the time the New York dates were selling like hotcakes. The second leg, an encore showing, is an admonishment to keep striking while the iron is hot.

But Axl himself had been long bored. The phoned in shows of 2012-2014, also heavy with covers, are the latest evidence of this. The rerecording perhaps the earliest. So it's not time to make a change, sit back, and take it easy. Rake in that money. Then go front one of your favorite bands of all time, allowing you to sing a new set of songs to your hearts content. Low risk, high reward, and easy money to get your rocks off.

And then after that? Well maybe we'll start taking a serious look at what we're doing in that regard.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

AC/DC is easier to sing.

The entire discography has the same stop-and-go structure and sing-songy choruses. Lower register, amplified speaking voice to a louder shout. Easy to sustain throughout a show. Axl can do It's So Easy, Brownstone, and Chinese just fine for the same reasons.

Go check out "You Shook Me All Night Long" and other such songs. Same Mickey pitch, no rasp, inability to sustain the notes.

He clearly cares more about AC/DC. He has something to prove. Just like he did in 2006 and 2009.

I don`t hear any Mickey here

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I listened to the Vegas and Coachella soundboards which everyone raved about and Axl sounded quite poor.

Yeah it's interesting when you watch it back.

I think a lot of us gave it a pass because they had waited for Axl and Slash to reunite most of their lives, and also because it sounds good compared to 2012-2013 era Axl which was his absolute low point.

To me it has highs and lows. There's enough problems that I can't forget them and I can't think of it as the best modern shows, but there's also enough great bits that I don't send it to the Ashba bin either.

To me the best vocal stuff in this tour has been Houston 2016...but even it isn't up to the past.

James Lofton wrote:

To add to that, I think these killer guest appearances he does(Billy Joel, AC/DC) is more about bucket list items and performing with artists/bands he loves before its too late.

It's true.

That's the sad bit about a lot of this.

This isn't a master plan like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It's more like someone gave Randal in Clerks the day off work.

They have no plan, no agenda, they just wing it, and when something seems kinda fun they do it.

Slash rejoined because he lost money in his divorce and he's figured out while he can be the go-to-guitar icon of his generation he will never do anything on the level of GNR again and the legacy was getting ruined with cover artists.

Axl invited him back because the con was starting to wear thin: He's coasted just having fun and pissing people off for 30 years based on what he did in 87-92, he's lived the life, but now his voice is finally starting to go for real and he's driven the fake band from Stadiums, to Arenas, to Theatre's. He doesn't have the vitality or the voice to reset now. Only play left to live large to death was to fix things with Slash...because with Slash back the legitimacy of his band would largely be restored to casuals and business types, and he can hide his damaged voice around some other star power.

Neither of them thought it would work enough to make a real plan. Neither of them wants to risk pissing off the other with the thing that started a bunch of their fights in the first place: New Music.

Meanwhile a reunion album, AFD30 and anything else sits in limbo as it doesn't suit the real master plan: have fun, take it easy, and secure your last mountain of cash because Dorothy is walking towards the curtain...and after 30 years the con is almost up...

That wasn't a con or fake band, that's just disgruntled fan talk.

It was clear he didn't have the same drive in the DJ era. Slash had sent him a goodwill gesture with not blocking his live DVD. The seeds were planted then for the inevitable. When Duff joined and then he lost two guitarists, is it a big leap what was going to happen next? And if you want to get further into it, you can look at his HOF letter that he never shut the door on working with Slash even back then.

I see no evidence at all that he was forced into Coachella or anything else. In fact, he seems more rejuvenated than I've seen him since 2001. He actually looks happy out there. The exact opposite of what he's like when he's forced out on the road or to show up for a show. He's not late, he's not ranting, he's not punishing anyone for his bad mood and he isn't coasting. He's actually fronting two bands. That's pretty cool. He was making a very good living doing what he was doing, whether we like to admit it or not. I was just reading a review from the last three shows and they've been the best reviews I've seen regarding his performance since 06.

Myles made it clear Slash was going forward with his next solo album and tour when this tour ended and Axl was planning more with AC/DC.

I'll be really surprised if there isn't something new at some point, but you guys should know better than to schedule things you think they should do by a certain date in your heads and get pissed when it doesn't happen. Logic doesn't apply.

You guys can be real downers, man, especially when you try to top yourselves on who can be more doom & gloomier than anyone else.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

you guys should know better than to schedule things you think they should do by a certain date in your heads and get pissed when it doesn't happen. Logic doesn't apply.

Yes but the reason logic doesn't apply IS BECAUSE IT'S A CON.

If Axl cared about his artistic legacy he wouldn't have had DJ ashba ape Slash, he wouldn't do mickey mouse, he would play new songs live or one of a hundred other things.

If Axl cared about creativity and artistic drive he would have written a new song since 1999 and there's almost no evidence he has. Or even if he does he seems to want to take them to the afterlife.

If Axl cared about the fans he would do more interviews, do stuff like AFD remaster and so any of the billion things we've all been wanting forever.

He's a juvenile delinquent street kid with a mental illness who was blessed with unusual vocal talent. The attitude has always been a gang mentality of them against the world, the media bought into this with a rock and roll rebellion myth - but the reality is they just plain don't give a fuck about anyone else.

I love their music and their talent, but at the end of the day you have to realise they hold us in utter contempt. They hate the industry, the media, they don't care at all about critics, music fans, or anything other than whatever serves their own desires at that moment.

I say this as a guy who followed the band for years and who loves the music and all the rest like you guys. Call me negative. I am now. But at some point you see the truth of what this is, and the pattern these guys lives have taken for decades.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think Axl cared very much between 2009-2010 and the performances show. He is on his game and the band follows suit. I am not a fan of either Ashba or Frank in the least but they showed up to play. It's only after repeated instances of slobbishness from The General and The General that the band followed suit.

misterID wrote:

In fact, he seems more rejuvenated than I've seen him since 2001. He actually looks happy out there. The exact opposite of what he's like when he's forced out on the road or to show up for a show. He's not late, he's not ranting, he's not punishing anyone for his bad mood and he isn't coasting. He's actually fronting two bands. That's pretty cool.

misterID wrote:

I'll be really surprised if there isn't something new at some point, but you guys should know better than to schedule things you think they should do by a certain date in your heads and get pissed when it doesn't happen. Logic doesn't apply.

The problem is Guns N' Roses makes virtues out of vices. I cannot think of another band that has a fanbase that uses their own personal decoder rings to ascertain what is going on with the band or is forced to digest as much shoveled shit on a regular basis. It is truly pitiful.

I think it was entirely unreasonable to expect much for most of 2016 given the behind the scenes drama. The key term here is behind the scenes. Which we still, admittedly, know very little about, and only know because we're hardcore fans. It was clear to anyone paying attention that it was a cash grab nostalgia tour. Okay, fine. Go make your money. But there was still lots of covers, little rotation in the setlist, and so forth. Again, I can't think of another band that has the same problem. Some bands talk out setlist during the flight over. Some jam things out during soundcheck. Cool, let's try this. Guns wasn't always this boring. I don't need to tell you this.

Let's put aside gripes about the show and expectations. The Nightrain membership has been garbage for years. Making two videos announcing another leg of your tour is misleading. Announcing a fashion event to celebrate AFD is laughable. Axl said something about taking business classes. This is Business 101 stuff. Basic Public Relations. Basic... decency.

As somewhat of an aside, some years ago I bought a paperback textbook. I read that fucker every night and a couple months in, the binding fell completely apart. This was a book from a big publisher, mind you. The guy who wrote the book had a Contact option on the book's website. I emailed him explaining the situation and asked how we can get this figured out. I included a line about how I had been lusting after the hardcover copy and if there was any way I could get a credit on the paperback and use that towards a hardcover copy. You know what this guy did? He overnighted me a hardcover copy free of charge. This is the author answering things from his personal email. He made it happen. Compare that with the horseshit mickey mouse fuckery Axl has been pulling for two decades.

misterID wrote:

You guys can be real downers, man, especially when you try to top yourselves on who can be more doom & gloomier than anyone else.

Nonsense.

I think I'm a pretty even headed poster. I try to explore things through the different angles before making a judgment. But no matter how you slice it, Guns N' Roses is a poorly run band that treats it's fans like dogs at the feet of their masters.

Who wants to be in a relationship like that? Who wants to invest their time and money with a business with a "ehhh, wait and see..." approach? Do you buy stock in companies that are offloading shares?

Either you're growing or you're dying and Guns N' Roses, my friend, is deeaaaaaaaad.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

AC/DC is easier to sing.

I don`t hear any Mickey here

[/embed]

Sounds badass!

Board footer