You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Bands you've rediscovered thru streaming

PaSnow wrote:

All the talk the last few years about how streamings killing the music industry, while it may be financially (at the moment, here come more ads &/or paid service), does anyone have any bands they've gotten more into since streaming more & expanding your horizons?  Being as terrestrial radio is so laserfocused on certain artists & only the hit songs?

Personally, I've come to like:
The Black Crowes - Man, what a band & great catalog of music they have. Ashame radio ditched them as a result of alternative.
Big Star- Wilco/Replacements type band in the 70s. I think I actually saw a documentary about them on Netflix, then added them as a Pandora channel.
Van Morrison - I always 'knew' he was much more than Brown Eyed Girl, but just never picked up any CDs or greatest hits of his. Listen to Into The Mystic (great song) or Tupelo Honey.

I also have an EDM Pandora channel. Gets my juices going when I need it big_smile

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I don't frequent the playlists too much. I found them just as cookie cutter as radio stuff. Very little deep cuts and things off the beaten path. The Headbangers Ball is somewhat of an example of this. You're not gonna get the small bands and half-hit wonders on their playlists. You'll get refined wheat, no interesting bits of chaff.

I stick to old fogie music blogs and personal recommendations.

Van Morrison is so good. Astral Weeks at the Hollywood Bowl is a must own. I need to listen to some of his more obscure stuff but his first I dunno 5-6 are tops and Astral and Moondance are the stuff of legend.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I'll have to check out those albums. Typically I listen to the albums on YT.

I really like Pandora fwiw. You can put in an artist or song, and the songs revolve around that, but can be quite extensive & alot of deeper cuts/bands. They have 'playlists' (summer hits, hits of the 90s etc), but I just have alot of individual ones which revolve around bands like Guns, Nirvana, The Killers, Descendants, and even one for Mr Bojangles lol) Plus on the TV/Roku app they now do a slow zoom of the album cover, seemingly floating around, up-down-left-right. Cool stuff.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Yeah I used to listen to Pandora back in the day.

A couple of interesting B-Sides and stuff have come to my attention through YouTube because some of the artists don't have the sense to release gems like Moorhead's acoustic version of "I Ain't No Nice Guy" except stashed on some obscure DVD forgotten to the sands of time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I rarely even stream anymore. I had Rhapsody on my phone(only 10 bucks a month) for a couple years but it got to the point where I was just listening to the same old shit and realized I don't need their service for that.

I think I've closed my mind to new music. I'm fine with listening to the music I grew up on until I run out of road. Every now and then I do dive into a discog I'm not too familiar with....like Springsteen. I mainly just listened to Born in the USA but have listened to a few more of his albums. Same with Neil Young.

I mainly use youtube for this. I don't bother with torrents anymore. Its a waste of time and a waste of space on my computer.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah YTs great for it too. Only on my phone it eats data when not on wifi, due to playing the actual video.  Wish they had YT for audio only and just nixed the video content of it giving an audio feed only.

Someones gonna tell me they already have an app for that in 3, 2, 1........ 18 18

Board footer