You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Rock In Rio 2017 | Sept 23

esoterica wrote:

duotone_large_1d1069_00ff57_LINEUP%2B-%2Bprofile_Gunns.jpg

GUNS N' ROSES | ROCK IN RIO | SEPT 23 2017

Date:
Saturday, September 23rd 2017
09/23/2017

Start Time:
12:25am Local
10:25pm Pacific Time
1:25am Eastern Standard Time

How to Watch:
Rock In Rio YouTube
Musica Multishow YouTube

Where:
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Barra Olympic Park
Palco Mundo Stage

Stage Undercard:
The Who @ 10:35pm
Incubus @ 9:00pm
Titas @ 7:00pm

Official Site:
http://rockinrio.com

---

---

Will we see new songs performed?

What guest spots will we see?

What UYI song will be drudged out of the old bag of tricks?

Step up, losers and ladies, and spin the Guns N' Roses eternal wheel of perpetual sadness!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hhahah...it's one of those gambles that could go either way.....

I mean Rock In Rio2 is a much loved classic show of the UYI era band, and then Rio3 was iconic in setting up the CD era mystique and is notable for Axl's energetic performance, kicking out fans in the wrong shirts, and the premiere of then new tracks like Madagascar. Indeed that performance of Maddy inspired me to believe there was life post slash and in a bunch of ways probably inspired things in my personal life too.

So it's a special venue for the band.

On the other hand - I thought this way prior to Rio4 in 2011 and built myself up for a GNR show of epic proportions and was rewarded with the Raincoat incident which many on youtube still refer to lovingly as "The Axl Rose Disaster". In all serious it became one of his most uninspired and insipidly disappointing performances ever. In the same way that Rio3 opened up a world of excitement and mystery, Rio4 seemed to usher in an era (prior to the reunion) of lacklustre vocals and the band going through the motions.

So I give you:

My Dream

The band uses the show to premiere live versions of new songs they have written together. Think how Madagascar was in 2001.

My Dream Watered Down to Be Half Realistic

It's a standard show but Axl delivers one of his best performances of the tour rasp wise. He comes out sounding like he did in Houston 2016 which was the best in the reunion so far to me. The video makes for an awesome proshot.

Most Likely Scenario

It's a standard show and Axl doesn't either thrill or depress...he just does what he's been doing recently...half rasp...half mickey/warble. Basically it will be the AFD30 show with video.

Depressing Incident Scenario

Standard show, with even shorter setlist, Axl has a disaster incident ala Rio11, rest of the band has timing issues/mistakes....public uses the footage to bash what GNR has become.

So those are the choices...obviously I'm praying for #1 or #2, but I think #3 is probably most likely...and I don't even wanna countenance #4 big_smile

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I remember chatting with the old crew back in 2006 hoping Rio 2006 would be a redux of 2001 with a bunch of new songs.

Alas...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

4 won't happen.

I will say though watching the show at Winston-Salem had me longing for the 92 Axl who was winded running around but brought the rasp 100%.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

4 won't happen.

I will say though watching the show at Winston-Salem had me longing for the 92 Axl who was winded running around but brought the rasp 100%.

Yeah..it's all about the rasp to me...like I will take any image, any weight level, any haircut whatever...but those songs neeeeeeeed that raspy voice...when he delivers on rasp I forgive anything else.

For example I really like watching the boots of Tokyo 2009 because he had a decent level of rasp, even though it's the ashba band, and even though it was filled through a potato reflecting through a car mirror in 120p resolution...but that rasp....

So yeah...a few Axl screams of rasp will go a long way for me!

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

New songs ? you`re joking right ?

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

LOL. "We'll be back next summer with a whole bunch of new songs". or something like that it was, right?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

hahah I wish...

I think this has promise of a good proshot tho. AFD30 audio was good in places, that with pro footage would be fun. I just want Axl to have a half reasonable rasp on the night.

He's usually pretty good first 4-5 songs so at least that much should be cool.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I'm expecting the standard NITL setlist, maybe with a guest appearance thrown in (Angus?). No new tracks. No "fat Axl can't sing" jokes, because unlike RIR4, it's not the start of the tour so he's had time to warm up his voice/work off the spare tire.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

To add to that – I don't think there's going to be any "bashing of what the band has become" even if they do fuck up – because the real focus of the general public and media's ire over the last decade was that Axl wouldn't play ball and get Slash back. With Slash back in the band, there's some localised grumbling among hardcore fans (no Izzy! No Adler! Waaahidon'tlikeFrank'sdrumming! Setlists!) but the general public don't give a fuck. Axl has reconciled with Slash and the redemption arc of his narrative has played out.

With Slash back, mistakes that would've spawned endless articles laughing at "Fat Axl and his Funny Friends" become forgivable; more "Beyoncé takes a tumble on stage but she's still cool, it just humanises her" stuff.

Board footer