You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Bobby "the brain" Heenan has passed

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I read that a cause can be smoking & drinking (concurrently). Apparently alchohol sorta tears away at the cells of the throat, leaving the cigarette smoke to affect newer virgin cells (or something like that). Anyway the combining of the two is more than each individually. I know chewing tobacco is terrible for you, but I think thats more lip & gum/mouth cancer, but myb throat too.

Pretty sure Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys had a form of throat cancer (lymph nodes?) and I remember the basist for Soul Asylum died very young (40ish?) after news broke he had throat or mouth cancer.

That is concerning because I enjoy my alcoholic beverages at the end of the day...but I have never smoked/chewed or used tobacco products in any way.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Well, alchohol alone isn't great for you either, although think of it this way millions of us drink. But I feel your concern. I think combining the two really increases the risk, but alchohol alone lets be real, has its own side effects (liver, kidney, throat, stomach etc). We're gettin old Mitch, time to start thinking of these things.

I drink A LOT less than I used to. Nowadays I can do 2-3 IPA's on a weekend as opposed to previously half a case on a weekend or more. In my prime I could do 12 beers a night, and drive home. But I don't talk about that anymore, ain't proud if you know what I'm saying.

I like a good wine now & then. Goes great with fish (white) or pasta (red) or steak (red).

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I pretty much keep my drinking to the weekends, with an occasional beer during the week. And I really never have more than 4 or 5 if I'm really partying. Most of the time, I just have a couple.

Getting old sucks.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I pretty much keep my drinking to the weekends, with an occasional beer during the week. And I really never have more than 4 or 5 if I'm really partying. Most of the time, I just have a couple.

Getting old sucks.

Yea it does. But I must say I've always been grateful that I avoided the tobacco curse.

It does make you wonder though...why a guy like Ric Flair or Jake Roberts is still alive but Eddie Guerrero died at 40. Or Mean Gene Okerlund who drinks like a fish is still here today.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I don't think WWE is the right environment to ponder why someone died old/young. Sorry, but a lot of these guys have been found to have done roids/HGH. Then, many also are known to drink abusively &/or get hooked on painkillers, then factor in concussions and the addictions it causes or suicides.

But yeah that's life in general. Keith Richards was a major heroin addict for a decade aka 70s yet he's still kickin. Gotta admit, its hard to believe all 5 OG Guns are still with us. Who was the guy known as 'Healthiest Man Alive' died of a heart attack at like 40 or 45?  Who knows man, gotta take things in moderation. That includes fruits & veggies.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I don't think WWE is the right environment to ponder why someone died old/young. Sorry, but a lot of these guys have been found to have done roids/HGH. Then, many also are known to drink abusively &/or get hooked on painkillers, then factor in concussions and the addictions it causes or suicides.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ric … 47592.html

This seems mightily appropriate to me right now for this discussion. Claims alcohol alone is the likely cause of his near death experience.

But yeah that's life in general. Keith Richards was a major heroin addict for a decade aka 70s yet he's still kickin. Gotta admit, its hard to believe all 5 OG Guns are still with us. Who was the guy known as 'Healthiest Man Alive' died of a heart attack at like 40 or 45?  Who knows man, gotta take things in moderation. That includes fruits & veggies.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be the right venue to discuss the peculiarities of who gets to survive and who doesn't.

I think Keith Richards and Eddie Guerrero give quite the glimpse into who variably these things affect an individual.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be the right venue to discuss the peculiarities of who gets to survive and who doesn't.

I think Keith Richards and Eddie Guerrero give quite the glimpse into who variably these things affect an individual.

I didn't mean it as in it was inappropriate to post, I meant it more tongue in cheek. I think all of us know someone who died too soon, whether a friend as a kid, relative or coworker, moreso of natural causes. Those that push the extremes, yeah, amazing how some live. Look at all the 80s metal dudes still alive whereas grunge is closer to 50% levels.

Just gotta take it 1 day at a time I guess.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I didn't mean it as in it was inappropriate to post, I meant it more tongue in cheek. I think all of us know someone who died too soon, whether a friend as a kid, relative or coworker, moreso of natural causes. Those that push the extremes, yeah, amazing how some live. Look at all the 80s metal dudes still alive whereas grunge is closer to 50% levels.

Just gotta take it 1 day at a time I guess.

Sometimes I really wonder how much of the equation we really know about.

It's interesting that you brought up grunge...so many people have been telling me lately that negative energy can kill you. Negativity and karma always catch up with you supposedly.

I wonder if negativity combined with alcohol and drugs is the ultimate combo for premature death.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Wow, I never considered grunge vs 80s rock star mortality. David Coverdale wins.

Just remembering how great WCW was at one time. When they sold to Vince it felt great at the time because of how bad it had gotten, but that was the moment wrestling died.

It really amazes me they couldn't find a place for Brain. I guess he was considered old, but he could have been a great fit on Smackdown. I might have actually watched it.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Wow, I never considered grunge vs 80s rock star mortality. David Coverdale wins.

Just remembering how great WCW was at one time. When they sold to Vince it felt great at the time because of how bad it had gotten, but that was the moment wrestling died.

It really amazes me they couldn't find a place for Brain. I guess he was considered old, but he could have been a great fit on Smackdown. I might have actually watched it.

Holy shit...I didn't know David Coverdale was inducted into the RRHOF.

In any case, I have no statistics on this and really haven't done any research. It just seems to me that there were a lot of grunge superstars who died young or even offed themselves.

In a comparison of decades and eras in musics with a denominator being deaths/suicides, I wonder if there is any real statistically significant difference.

Roddy Piper got into the wrestling business in the early 1970s after having left home at the age of 15 and was living in a hostile. I wonder if that had anything to do with his death at age 61. He was ROUGH on his own body...both partying wise and having a career in wrestling.

Also, back in the Wrestlemania I era....Roddy would describe doing 2 a days and 3 a days...as in wrestling in 3 different locations in 3 different matches. Also, Vince had Roddy sleeping in a hotel room next to his because at all hours of the night, vince had the boys cutting promos and hawking merchandise. Vince's hotel room was a make shift studio for wrestlers to come in and promote the next event.

They'd say..."come see me in Richmond, Virgnia on March 10th!!!" or "Make sure you buy Summerslam this Sunday!!!!" or "when I take on the Macho King at the Survivor Series on Tampa, Floriday!!!".....then squeeze in 45 minutes of sleep only to get up and do another round of promos.

That's a helluva lifestyle.

But damn Vince was just a machine.

Board footer