You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Interesting comment on the Troubadour show...

esoterica wrote:

The comment isn't something you generally put out publicly but this is the band of the guy who said "lose my fucking number" to a dude going on paternity leave after all. That and I'd rather have a competent bulldog than an incompetent... house cat.

It's possible Beta gave the company his number but I remember Mark Haffiahifishifhfahi being plastered on early stuff. He did some stuff related to the Detroit show as well. So a quick google will connect you to the 4C4 Media parent company.

I think Axl hates the spectacle of the whole thing and finds it against taste. He wants promotion but is against a media colonoscopy and weary of the media in general. Thank Christ for that. It's embarrassing.

I'm in the minority on this stuff but I want new music and a box set of alternative demos. I don't have time for ultra deconstructions of songs or behind the scenes tour documentaries. In my teenage years, I would've asked for a tasteful t-shirt but that's the extent of it. I can see the market appeal of a Troubadour show DVD/Blu-Ray/digital release though.

I haven't seen a ton but the best live releases have a particular vision in mind and more cooks in the kitchen doth spoil the broth.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Guns N Roses (read Axl Rose) continues to do things the opposite of every other successful band, much to their own dismay.

Ain't it fun to be a fan...

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Let's play a movie starring Al Pacino...

Billboard said the tour held together despite Axl's skepticism which suggests a perceived shaky ship.

The Troubadour and Coachella make sense to have shot. The former for romantic reasons and the latter for the sake of grandiosity was already covered by patron saint Paul Tollett.

I get that the Met and Dodger Stadium are big venues in big markets but why else besides record those? Why throw away top dollar on smaller market shows for the full tour? Paradise City was a planned video shoot, remember. Adler barely got the guest spot gig, if rumors are to be believed. It has marketing value for oldies but not something Axl would be ripe to enshrine. A couple deeper cuts here and there.

Music doesn't sell, I have to think tour videos a fraction of that.

So why eat into your slice of the cheese for things that have little market value and interest?

I gotta run, literally and figuratively, see ya kids on Saturday.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

So Guns should only release things that a would return a monetary value to themselves rather than treating their fans to those sorts of gifts?

And if there's no money it, just upload live footage to an official YouTube channel or something. That costs less than putting out an official release.

Just seems like excuses to justify them not doing anything but the absolute minimum.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The bit that frustrates me is the official releases are often not the best stuff that existed,,,

The proshot footage from Rock Am Ring 2006 is absolutely a better representation of the new-band than the blu-ray that came out. Arguably so is the footage from Rio 2001.

Hell even if you want the DJ band there's pro-shot footage from 2009 and 2010 that they are hoarding that destroys that vegas dvd.

Likewise the record came out with sloppy artwork and questionable mixing.

Now IF we get a DVD it's going to be Troubadour - where the band was green and before they nailed the setlist...etc...

It's just frustrating...like the keepsakes are always the average stuff...and the great stuff gets hoarded or traded only amongst hardcores etc....why not just release some of your best work properly.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

So Guns should only release things that a would return a monetary value to themselves rather than treating their fans to those sorts of gifts?

And if there's no money it, just upload live footage to an official YouTube channel or something. That costs less than putting out an official release.

Just seems like excuses to justify them not doing anything but the absolute minimum.

I think fan service and treatment has been an embarrassment for 20 years.

I also think Axl is an old guard capitalist and to expect him to change would be expecting too much.

Axl's not gonna foot the bill for primo video work when the band situation is shaky, the venues aren't anything special, and the tour could implode at any minute. This also looking past whatever record company situation there is. It's one of those things you can want as a fan but if you think about it for 5 minutes, it's like okay, we're back at square one.

How this wasn't figured out for the second leg... then maybe you have an argument. smile

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Why in the blue hell would GNR need 15 cameras to shoot when their stage setup only shows vertical video on the left and right sides? The horizontal screen behind the band is pre-edited footage for the songs. Use your brains, guys, come on.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:

Well, hold on there. GN'R's never been a charity; they've been hustlers since the Sunset Strip days, and made no secret of it.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

You only need 3 cameras. One for Axl, one for Slash, one for Duff. What else is there to shoot?

Can we get one for Teddy zig zag?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think fan service and treatment has been an embarrassment for 20 years.

I also think Axl is an old guard capitalist and to expect him to change would be expecting too much.

Axl's not gonna foot the bill for primo video work when the band situation is shaky, the venues aren't anything special, and the tour could implode at any minute. This also looking past whatever record company situation there is. It's one of those things you can want as a fan but if you think about it for 5 minutes, it's like okay, we're back at square one.

How this wasn't figured out for the second leg... then maybe you have an argument. smile

You still think the tour could implode at any minute? I haven't thought that for a long time.

Board footer