You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Rock In Rio 2017 | Sept 23

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Did anyone here watch the show?

The negativity is not just fans looking to bitch, there's a lot of people who noticed Axl's voice was the worst of the whole tour. Look at the negative stuff in this article:

Headline:

Guns save classic training return from Ax's disastrous voice

Quotes:

"more difficult than making peace with the old teammates was to find Axl's voice on stage"

"the singer changed clothes and struggled to run from one side to the other"

"With a flawed voice, he made a point of singing in falsetto, tune up to try to reach higher grades and turned good songs like "Estranged" and "Live and Let Die" (Paul McCartney) into a somewhat painful experience"

"In "Better", for example, there was an awkward silence"

"It was a relief when Duff McKagan took over the microphone to sing"

"but as for the voice, missed the era. Axl's voice was also one of Twitter's most talked about subjects during the show's broadcast"

https://translate.google.com/translate? … edit-text=

That's definitely nothing like the reviews for the tour so far... Sounds like a bad night.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes, a bad night at one of their most prestigious shows.

misterID

misterID wrote:

His last show there was horrendous. And everyone here told him to hang it up.... So bad some were convinced he was having a mental breakdown and worried he'd commit suicide. Remember that? I doubt this show will have any impact on the general public. I just don't... Exactly how I said that last show wouldn't hurt them, and I was flamed for not agreeing it was the end of his career. We have a habit here of jumping off the cliff over stuff like this.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

His last show there was horrendous. And everyone here told him to hang it up.... So bad some were convinced he was having a mental breakdown and worried he'd commit suicide. Remember that? I doubt this show will have any impact on the general public. I just don't... Exactly how I said that last show wouldn't hurt them, and I was flamed for not agreeing it was the end of his career. We have a habit here of jumping off the cliff over stuff like this.

It is frustrating because it comes down to fucking laziness. He got rusty after only 2 god damn weeks off. How fucking pathetic. He still CAN SING badass when he wants too and works at it.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

We or at least I am repeating myself on generally all topics, so I'm gonna go hibernate for awhile.

But Axl had two weeks of downtime to not get sick and rest his voice.

And this is his 5th Rock In Rio. There was at least an hour between The Who and them. They weren't changing trussing and shit like that either. If there are technical issues, the dog ate my mixing board isn't gonna cut it. (It could possibly be that Caram wasn't running voodoo on his voice because RIR had it's own techs but point stands firm).

I'll check back in later this winter, friends. Have fun!

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

There's also the curiosity value of busting out some more Chinese Democracy tracks, of course - it's interesting to hear what Slash and Duff do with them. And there are some belters in there; Prostitute, Madagascar, I.R.S.... I'd rather hear them than The Seeker again.

no, please... don't rape IRS... no... the song is just made for a guitar freak, and BH with BBF nailed it. the current lineup has no guitar freak, so better keep this shelved.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

This was only a year ago.

Fuck you Axl, you lazy piece of shit, when you charge tickets obscene amount of money, you should eat a fucking humble pie and deliver money`s worth.

As long as hordes of morons thicken his pockets, he won`t change one god damned thing.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

Don't Damn Me should've been played when he was sitting on his throne. No better time than that.

I don't think people would choose to hear"Bitch" over "Wild Horses" or whatever

I would! 9

It's a thin discography.

People keep saying this but there's a shit ton of songs that they need to play. I would prefer a Soundgarden style of rotating set lists but that was a slightly different situation....Soundgarden had one mega hit, a few more hits, and their discog loaded with deep cuts that different fans love.

GNR are doing three and a half hour sets when they could easily knock it down to two. Its really hard to criticize them when they are going above and beyond the call of duty for the fans.

KOHD anf LALD are not leaving the set. They are two of the most downloaded GNR songs. They're staples.

Adding all the covers is interesting. If Barry Manilow dies during this tour, I want Ready to Take A Chance Again added to the set. Hell, its practically This I Love without Finck and the moment I found out as a teen that Axl was a Manilow fan, I wanted to hear him sing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRZuEz2VJ40

[/embed]
I mean if I was in the band reading this thread, I'd be going, "What the fuck do you people want?" They've addressed a lot of the issues from the past, to be fair. They show up on time, they're playing mammoth three-hour setlists, they're playing a mix of classics, deep cuts and, for crying out loud, Chinese Democracy tracks with Slash and Duff. So I get that we're being a bit demanding. But it'd be nice if they could add a bit of churn to the setlist and mix it up with some tracks that aren't covers on the next leg (of course what we all really want is to hear a new track, but the likelihood of that happening is about the same as Elvis turning up to hand me a winning lottery ticket). When they've got tracks like Perfect Crime gathering dust, it's a bit daft that they're trotting out Wichita Lineman and The Seeker. Hell, I'd even take some of the classic covers from TSI – Down on the Farm or Ain't It Fun or whatever.

And yes, there is no way on God's green earth that they're going to drop KOHD and LALD, they're setlist staples and were hits for the band back in the day.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Yeah...that's the thing...the first half of the reunion shows...when the media was watching with interest ready to nail him - he delivered and performed with a lot of vocal power....then when it came time for Axl/Dc.....when the media was skeptical and a hostile fanbase who may not accept him was present....he delivered a lot of vocal power......

Bottom line is, while it's obvious he finds it all harder than he once did, he still has the ability to deliver when it matters to him.

But it's more than obvious that stuff like a special AFD30 anniversary show simulcast with the radio, or Rio filmed live for millions of people are obviously not worth the effort to him - and I can't support that.

As for the rest of the band, some of the mistakes I think are sound issues, it's like they can't hear where each other were up to at all at times in the songs. As for why this type of thing seems to happen to GNR more than any other band, well we can only speculate, but they seem to be haunted by such problems at a rate other professional bands aren't.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Fuck you Axl, you lazy piece of shit, when you charge tickets obscene amount of money, you should eat a fucking humble pie and deliver money`s worth.

As long as hordes of morons thicken his pockets, he won`t change one god damned thing.

Christ, that's ridiculous, man...

Board footer