You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Rock In Rio 2017 | Sept 23

zombux wrote:

I didn't really like this Ragnar guy before, but increasingly I understand him more and more. sad times, but I can't see much light at the end of the tunnel. the hopeful days are gone. after-UYI years, 2000-Intentions years, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011... damn, that's a long time ago, so many wasted years.
fuck. I can't believe I'm still here hmm

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
zombux wrote:

damn, that's a long time ago, so many wasted years.

That's what gets me. I really want to be positive and enjoy the band like I used to. I try to just enjoy what's left without thinking too much on what could have been etc...but they really do make it hard....the band consistently blows every chance to do something cool it seems. Hall of Fame, AFD30, Rio...the list goes on year after year.

It's insane to think there's tracks with Axl vocals from 1999 sitting around waiting to be worked on and the politics of releasing them sorted out in 2017. There's entire albums. There multiple tour documentaries and amazing pro-shots never released. The amount of cool suff they hoard is crazy, and that's without thinking about what they might have done.

It's tragic that Axl has spent the bulk of his professional life semi-retired when for most of it he could do mind-blowing-world-conquoring stuff on a whim if he had chosen to. Think of the throw away moments - think of Axl doing the cover of "Sailing" in 2006 and that wasn't even really his prime. Even now with an older damaged voice you see Flashes of brilliance when he does Axl/Dc. It's his life to live but the overwhelming waste of his abilities is hard to watch.

But even if they can't record, I can't understand why they don't release a 30th anniversary remaster of AFD or other easy things like that, let alone some of the vaulted stuff. I guess the money is in touring, it seems like it will take a death or something to motivate them to do something else for artistic sake or legacy at this point.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

69 year old Steven Tyler whipped Axl`s ass.

It`s Axl/DC or fucking bust at this point.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

because releasing and this band quite doesn't work in the world of GNR. what did we get in the last 24 years? count with me: 1) OMG single (1999), 2) ChiDem album (2008), 3) AFD live thing (2014). and that's it. funny thing is, that maybe only the live thing got out somewhat normally, without idiotic delays (more or less, it still got out almost 2 years after the show itself) and piles of nonsense shit all around.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

From a few clips of last nights Sau Paulo show they sounded much better on all fronts.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Yet again RIR is an off night for them, then. Seriously, that festival is cursed.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

So basically after Brazilian media wrote articles saying Axl's voice was a disaster he will try again for 1 or 2 shows....

the fan base will say it was just a bad show....

The handful of good performances will only be audience shot and not important in terms of stuff like the special #afd 30 show or Rock in Rio....

Then Axl will resume going easy for the next 20 - 30 shows until they blow another big event....

Then repeat.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

You think Rio was down to him 'not trying'? The guy could barely keep in tune or hold a note. It was far more than that on the night, I'd guess he was sick but we'll probably never know.

Also think due to it's GNR history people over estimate the significance of RIR. Aside from being pro shot it doesn't really make a ripple to the wider world. It certainly aint Coachella/Glastonbury level.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Yet again RIR is an off night for them, then. Seriously, that festival is cursed.

At least he wasn't wearing a big yellow jacket.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

You think Rio was down to him 'not trying'?

It's a combination is my guess.

Some of the problem was clearly sound issues - that's why the band was out of time etc.

Some of the problem is Axl is obviously not capable of doing some of the things he used to. It's clear they generally pick songs to favour his problems, you can see he protects when possible, and minimises the need for insane parts of the songs. You can see that even when he pulls it off it's a lot less effortless than it was a few years back.

And lastly...yes...I think some of the problem is that Axl clearly saves use of the rasp for situations where he needs to win back a bit of credit.

He used a lot more rasp for the first few shows of the 2016 legs. I thought when he started swapping to mickey it must mean he was wearing himself out, but then the rasp was back in full power only days later with Axl/Dc. I think he does it when it's needed - he could not get away with his Ac/Dc debut being mickey - and if the  first reunion shows were poor there would have been media backlash. But now the hype has died down its safe to go in at 70% rather than 100 again and he's doing that.

Perhaps he is ill too. But it's funny how it's always the proshots and the professional recordings where there's suddenly technical issues and illness.

Board footer