You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Tommy on being the 'musical director' in Guns

apex-twin wrote:

Interesting stuff. Basically, The General was the guy who took charge at the rehearsals simply because no-one else didn't.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Interesting stuff. Basically, The General was the guy who took charge at the rehearsals simply because no-one else didn't.

What does a 'musical director' for GNR even do?

'OK lads, let's play Nightrain again whilst we sit around for years waiting for paint to dry. Robin/DJ/Frank, have you guys ever actually rehearsed any of these songs'?

Tommy is a good bass player, and the Replacements were alright but he looks like he spent the down time looking down a bottle. Can't say I'd blame him really.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

interesting to note, that all GNR 3 bass players went through personal hell. Duff has recovered and is okay, Tommy is fighting it like crazy but still a long way to go, and the good old Ole Beich... has died.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:

Great find.

I'm just not sure about who he's talking when he says there was this "not friend" guitar player. Is that Bucket or Ron?

Locomotive98 wrote:

What does a 'musical director' for GNR even do?

He actually explains on the video. I guess the band needed someone to lead the rehearsals and work on the live arrangements. Not an easy task, and he says he didn't want that in first place.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

His voice is similar to Sorum

I think Robin maybe is the pain in the ass?  Bumble and Bucket were so fucking good I don’t see them being a rehearsal issue. DJ seems nice. I could be wrong.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think Robin maybe is the pain in the ass?  Bumble and Bucket were so fucking good I don’t see them being a rehearsal issue. DJ seems nice. I could be wrong.

hard to say. remember Bumble was nobody's friend back in the day, when he joined the band, they didn't accept him in the beginnings...

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I think he was talking about either Paul or Buckethead, especially because he addresses it being at the beginning, before the first concerts.
It's well documented how he and Bucket didn't click and were like enemies while Paul was really a newbie (Tommy also mentions having more experience than "some of the newer players had")

Finck was good friends with Tommy and Richard too.

back in 2006 BBF didn't click with Tommy either, but it's way later than "The general" nickname.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

I'm just not sure about who he's talking when he says there was this "not friend" guitar player. Is that Bucket or Ron?

He certainly had issues with Bucket, some reports also suggest Paul Tobias. Robin had done fairly little album work at the time, too.

Bucket had his shtick, which apparently grated Tommy. Paul's experience on playing gigs was likely limited to Lafayette, IN.

Tommy's irreverent. You come to him with a hand puppet or pretending to be an expert, he'll say, 'Get outta here!'

If there was any long-serving guitarist he would've had an issue with, my guess would be Bucket.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Tommy is drunk off his tits. He`s most likely talking about Buckethead.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Interesting interview.

For all his artistic pretensions, Robin has always struck me as a blue collar type guy in terms of approach.

I seem to recall Robin pics with Tommy and the gang in the early years so it wouldn't be a stretch to think he partied with them.

I also know that Bucket doesn't drink.

Board footer