You are not logged in. Please register or login.

auad
 Rep: 3 

Re: November 23, 2008: Guns N 'Roses released the album Chinese Democracy

auad wrote:

1508684139_836814401264612.jpg

The CD was released "just" nine years ago.
How does it sound to you after so long? Do you like the album better, or less?
Have you discovered new nuances in those nine years?
Did you exceed your expectation, or do you consider the album below the expected quality levels for a GNR album?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

My feeling is the same.

I really like the album because it’s diverse and interesting.

But it has a horrid mix, no narrative through-line, and I really dislike some of the choices, namely Bumblefoot’s solos.

It feels like the first part of a conversation that never got properly started so it’s a shame we never got part two.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I’m generally pretty bored with it. I’ll give some tracks a spin now and again but they don’t hold the same appeal as the AFD and UYI material.

I also tend to think the adding of so many CD tracks to the current tour is overkill or more particularly the choice of tracks. It was fine with the CD lineup but let’s not kid ourselves that 99% of the people in the stadiums now aren’t there for the classics. No issue with 2 or 3 songs but adding in CITR and Prostitute etc is unnecessary. Except for CD and Better the only other CD tracks I’d like to hear is SOD and IRS as they sound most suited to classic GNR.

Anyway CD the album, yeah it’s ok but feels like a poor relation rather than something that sits proudly alongside the back catalogue.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

My feelings today are the same as they were back then; it feels like a wasted opportunity. I don't really believe we got the album which was originally envisioned as Chinese Democracy either.

To have Buckethead/Brain erased just felt like a massive kick in the balls, too.

I love the songs themselves but it's bittersweet listening to them in these iterations. When your leaked "demos" are better than the final take something is very wrong.

If I'm to be less judgemental and a bit more positive then Shackler's Revenge is the definite highlight and I think (without hearing the original) Bumblefoot did an amazing job on it.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:

I was probably joking that day. What was Guns N' Roses? But I discovered and bought GH some time later. And for a long time in childhood, I did not know it was a Hits album, because, in fact, I did not know what an album was.
I like the CD, the things Axl does are good for me. The album is nothing vague and shallow, however, I think it has a bit of excess sound. Cleaner demos of some songs play better. I think if CD had been released in 2002 it would have been better received, the sound was aggressive. What was complicated in the criticism was the fact of the delay and the immense expectation created, something that could not be surpassed.

AndreCC
 Rep: 0 

AndreCC wrote:

I feel like, there was a time this album meant something, and as time flies, it marks the end of an era.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

Its pretty crazy that from  oh my god and CDs release is the same time as CD release and now.

what a waste

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I loved the album as much then as I do now. Wasn’t disappointed with it at all, and save Riad and Shacklers, I think every song on the album is exceptional.

Walker
 Rep: 8 

Walker wrote:

My favorite album of all time.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I was just listening to it today, all the way through. I don't do that with many albums. At all.

Board footer