You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Breaking Down The Loot

monkeychow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I just couldn't fathom how they allowed it 'for free', since video space & gigabites etc were extremely expensive back then. My PC could hold about 20 minutes of video I think, and there these guys were making software & a website where its free?!

Yeah it's embarrassing now but I thought it would fail for that reason.

Like in those days digital video was still pretty technologically demanding - lots of space required - lots of bandwith - slow times.

Here's people saying they will let anyone in the world upload anything for free. Didn't make sense to me as a business model - like firstly it would violate copyright most of the time - and after Napster it seemed that could cause legal issues - secondly the idea of the infinite storage and servers needed....figured they'd burn themselves out or have to start charging.

I've predicted a few things in my life,  but yeah, totally off on that one.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I remember a video where Slash is just wrecked back in the day, and has trouble figuring out the progression for the WTTJ intro.

Thanks, I sometimes have trouble finding that. Sick rasp by Axl at the end, man, hard to believe he could pull that off back in the day. I'd lose my voice for 2-3 days if I tried it now.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I just couldn't fathom how they allowed it 'for free', since video space & gigabites etc were extremely expensive back then. My PC could hold about 20 minutes of video I think, and there these guys were making software & a website where its free?!

Yeah it's embarrassing now but I thought it would fail for that reason.

Like in those days digital video was still pretty technologically demanding - lots of space required - lots of bandwith - slow times.

Here's people saying they will let anyone in the world upload anything for free. Didn't make sense to me as a business model - like firstly it would violate copyright most of the time - and after Napster it seemed that could cause legal issues - secondly the idea of the infinite storage and servers needed....figured they'd burn themselves out or have to start charging.

I've predicted a few things in my life,  but yeah, totally off on that one.

lol. I guess I don't recall my predictions of YT much. Honestly I just thought it'd be free for a few years, then charge people to either upload, or watch, but wasn't sure which. I think I read at one point after Google bought it they were losing a million dollars a day. It was just the potential they wanted.

Surprised they never did encounter copyright problems, as really thats mostly what it is. I know they/google worked better with holders and eventually came up with the ad-sharing scheme. I remember Prince & Kid Rock held out very long on it. I think most big corporations just saw it as a future of revenue, instead of asking for the cash upfront. In the end, probably a good move.

Napster really fucked up. That guy had such a great idea, and billions coming to him, but he chose to play hardball in a losing argument.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I remember a video where Slash is just wrecked back in the day, and has trouble figuring out the progression for the WTTJ intro.

Thanks, I sometimes have trouble finding that. Sick rasp by Axl at the end, man, hard to believe he could pull that off back in the day. I'd lose my voice for 2-3 days if I tried it now.

That clip is so fucking badass.  I love how Slash looks at Matt and is like "help me out etc" and then starts moving his head like "I got this shit now" lol.  Fucking legends.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Napster really fucked up. That guy had such a great idea, and billions coming to him, but he chose to play hardball in a losing argument.

It was too far ahead of its time. No one was ready yet. Imagine youtube coming out in 99-00. It would be dead on arrival.

Board footer