You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The Force is an imaginary magical power. We’ve already accepted it as a thing in these movies, but how could we know the limits to this imaginary force?

We don't know the limits as such..but it's about  consistency.

These movies are informed by the series of movies before them - the characters - the situations they are in - they are supposed to be continuations not a complete reboot - so thus we have a sense of what's possible from the previous movies.

Really we know what we've seen to be possible, AND what the last characters in similar situations DID do.

It's logical that unseen abilities or a stronger person might exist.

But these need to be explained in the context of the wider story.

Otherwise we're left to believe either that some characters are just inexplicably strong (even though this is not justified in the plot and indeed runs contrary to the plot of the older films) or we have to wonder if prior characters could have used similar abilities but simply failed to do so (which also doesn't make plot sense when you look at all the films together.)

The closest we have is

Hidden Text:

Yoda's remark that the burden of a master is that they are outgrown by students. But that alone is problematic - it's awkward if Kylo, Rey and Leia become more powerful than Vader, Yoda and Luke despite very limited training. Unless they give us some plot reason why it should be happening - another chosen one prophecy, or the force becoming more present in the universe, or the blood lines increasing with hybrid vigor...some kinda story reason to explain it needs to happen.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Flying Leia was the most absurd thing I've seen in a film in years. I wasn't the only one in the theater laughing at the stupidity.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

Flying Leia was the most absurd thing I've seen in a film in years. I wasn't the only one in the theater laughing at the stupidity.

Eh, I still think Rey using a Jedi mind trick and using a lightsaber like she spent years in training is the most absurd. But yea, Leia not immediately losing consciousness as every ounce of fluid erupted from every pore and orifice in the vacuum of space was a bit much.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Such a perfect opportunity to end her character ... wasted on a completely unbelievable twist ... unbelievable even in a star wars universe

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Such a perfect opportunity to end her character ... wasted on a completely unbelievable twist ... unbelievable even in a star wars universe

Yep that's when I thought they would have ended her, which would have been perfect. Instead.......

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

When I have some time, I'll create a thread on this...if someone else wants to start it, that's fine too.  My thread will be "How I Would Have Done Star Wars Episode VIII" and it will probably be a long post.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Yup, I thought the same thing. She didn't even do much afterwards but have some ridiculous grand scheme to end up in the cave. It was too big of a push to try and show how brilliant she was... On top of flying.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

An interesting article here on the financials of TLJ. Seems to be some credible guesstimates.

AN AMOUNT EQUIVALENT TO 80% PROFIT OF THE FORCE AWAKENS – FROM ALL VENUES AND PLATFORMS WORLDWIDE – IS MISSING FROM THE LAST JEDI’S BALANCE SHEET.

https://filmgoblin.com/box-office/the-l … r/#numbers

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

When I have some time, I'll create a thread on this...if someone else wants to start it, that's fine too.  My thread will be "How I Would Have Done Star Wars Episode VIII" and it will probably be a long post.

Jesus Christ please don’t.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Jesus Christ please don’t.

They already did it's here: http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=14520

Board footer